. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SteveJobsRevived

New

Post by SteveJobsRevived » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:58 pm

Last edited by SteveJobsRevived on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mauve.Dino

Bronze

Re: In Need of HELP!

Post by Mauve.Dino » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:06 pm

Try getting some practice in from the more recent (but not TOO recent) tests:

http://www.amazon.com/LSAT-Reading-Comp ... 12-6333170
http://www.amazon.com/LSAT-Logic-Games- ... gy_b_img_z
http://www.amazon.com/LSAT-Logical-Reas ... 4CACYT0M2Q

That should leave you with 10 or 11 PTs to take under real testing conditions. As always, drilling is the key to getting better. I was stuck at roughly the same level you are right now, and it took a combination of merciless drilling and 7sage LG videos/Manhattan forums review to see improvement.

Have you picked up the LSAT Trainer? That is the best for LR, IMHO.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:13 pm

LR is your primary weakness, RC is second. You seemed to have cleared up on RC in the two most recent PTs, so focus on LR. Use something other than Cambridge to help you get a fresh perspective on LR. I'd recommend Powerscore LR Bible. Also, since you've drilled PTs, take a new approach. Do shorter, timed chunks of LR (maybe 5-10 questions at a time), then immediately review to see your mistakes. Jot down the reasons for error. Rinse and Repeat. This should allow you to make quick corrections as you go and spot patterns of error. Trying to go back after a full PT and diagnose the reasons for missing particular questions is difficult, not to mention the fact that you're mentally drained by then.

If you boost LR and sustain your LG/RC, you will easily be in the low/mid 170s.

SteveJobsRevived

New

Post by SteveJobsRevived » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:20 pm

Last edited by SteveJobsRevived on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:36 pm

SteveJobsRevived wrote:So you are saying that while taking a PT, stop after the first 10 LR questions, grade them, and review them? Then move on throughout the LR section?

I ordered the Trainer, should be coming very soon. I hope that will increase my LR score.

any other suggestions?
Basically. Take small chunks of LR questions and do them timed. Every 5 questions = 7 minutes. Then go back and review your answers immediately. It allows you to feel out why you made mistakes and make quick adjustments. The underpinning (structure) of your LR approach is lacking somewhere, and you need to figure out where. Doing the sections piece-meal will allow you to have a better snapshot of why you missed each question because the process will still be fresh in your mind. You will more clearly understand why you missed each individual problem and how your approach/rationale should have been different. Doing this repeatedly will help you identify a pattern of fallacy or a particular type of question that gives you grief. It will help. Timing a 10 question chunk sounds ridiculous, but it will ensure you keep pace/remain efficient. Do it for a week or two and take another PT or 2 full, timed LR sections to see if it has helped you progress.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SteveJobsRevived

New

Post by SteveJobsRevived » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Last edited by SteveJobsRevived on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 pm

Uh. Don't use your actual PTs for that.
Use the Cambridge packets or PTs that you have already completed.

Twitch

New

Post by Twitch » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:11 pm

I don't see anywhere that you reviewed intensively. All the drilling in the world won't help you if you aren't learning from your mistakes.

SteveJobsRevived

New

Post by SteveJobsRevived » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Last edited by SteveJobsRevived on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Twitch

New

Post by Twitch » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:24 pm

SteveJobsRevived wrote:
Twitch wrote:I don't see anywhere that you reviewed intensively. All the drilling in the world won't help you if you aren't learning from your mistakes.
First I blind review, (only to get 1/2 more right than I normally would have per PT) this is because the Q's I get wrong on LR are un circled, for I thought they were correct., then I just go to the manhattan forums for LR, as well as for RC. Is this wrong?
The problem is that you aren't learning. From what you said, your scores aren't consistently improving. After you blind review, take all the questions you got wrong, in addition to the questions you got wrong that you thought were correct, and work through them until you get them right AND understand why you got them wrong the first time AND understand why the right answers are right and wrong answers are wrong. And do a full write-up of that.

If you work through them 3-4 times and can't figure out what you're missing, then hit up Manhattan forums and then do a full write-up after that when you figure out what you were missing. Sounds like you're putting a lot of work into drilling, but only doing a cursory review that isn't helping much because you are cutting out early to get the answers spoon fed and calling it a day. You really have to dig your heels into it and extract the reasoning yourself. Emphasize review over drilling.

SteveJobsRevived

New

Post by SteveJobsRevived » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Last edited by SteveJobsRevived on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Twitch

New

Post by Twitch » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:59 pm

It doesn’t matter if you’ve seen the answer choices; the point of the process is not writing down the correct letter. The point is working through the correct reasoning. Even picking the right answer doesn’t matter if you don’t really understand the reasoning, because you can’t repeat that kind of correct answer. That’s just luck or instinct, neither of which is enough to trust with your score.

I PMed you about the process.

SteveJobsRevived

New

Post by SteveJobsRevived » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:15 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:59 pm

SteveJobsRevived wrote:Well, I finally "get" LR.

Took PT 52: (166)

LR -2
LG -1
LR -3
RC -9 ! ! !

BUT, I just have no idea how to increase or even stabilize that RC score....
-I usually need a couple extra minutes to finish the section. But, this time, I went quicker, and finished with 5 minutes over.
-also, I read the trainer RC and LR sections. Guess it didn't help RC. But it seemed to help my LR significantly.

Any nuggets of advice? I will be in the mid 170's if I take care of RC.

EDIT: I usually dont underline anything, and write one word that summarizes the parapraph in the margin (Ex: explanation, new theory, critics rebuttal etc....). Other than than, its very minimal

Also, I read for structure, carefully noting where the critics come in, and things like that.

tyia
Slow down and take a deep breath. Judging by your responses and the timeline of your posts, it sounds like you're cramming a lot of work into a short period of time.

Make sure you don't burn out and that you understand quality is better than quantity. It's better to work through 10 LR questions or 1 RC passage and completely understand every facet of the questions than ripping through 50 LR questions and 5 passages in a day IMO.

SteveJobsRevived

New

Post by SteveJobsRevived » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”