Retake June 2015 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dibreezy

New

Retake June 2015

Post by dibreezy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:09 pm

Hey everybody,

I plan on retaking the exam in either February or June of 2015. I scored a 155 (Dec.13) then a 160 (Feb. 14) with about three weeks additional study on the LSAT. My practice tests were averaging between 163-165 with a high of 166.

I have used exclusively Powerscore test prep materials to this point. I feel like I have hit a wall. I can get 80+ questions correct on test, but I cannot get 90+. I believe I am capable of scoring 170 or better on the exam but I need to do something different.

I have made a point of studying my wrong question but I am missing something as I continue to make the same mistakes over and over. I feel I have a better grip for LG than any other section. RC comes naturally to me and I average about -3 or -4 in that section. My biggest concern is LR. I simply do not realize I am getting it wrong when I put the answer down. I feel like suring up my LR will fix the problems with RC. Between the three sections I see no reason to get worse than -6.

I have taken Powerscore's online full length course. I have read the bibles cover to cover and worked through most of the work books. I need recommendations on:
1) New course prep materials
2) Tutors

I think I will need a tutor to get over the hump. An outside view would really help me. I had some study partners but their life goal was to score a 150 so if anything they hurt me.

Thanks in Advance!

-David

dibreezy

New

Re: Retake June 2015

Post by dibreezy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:20 pm

One more thing.

Since I am giving myself SO much more time to study than I did the first two times I took the exam I am interested in trying out different strategies other than course-related materials.

That was jumbled what I mean is that I am interested in taking a holistic approach to the LSAT this time. Reading books and watching videos about things that surround the test. Learning more formal logic, general standardized test strategies, improving my reading through exposure to dense material. I have had very little exposure to logical thinking throughout my education, so kind of a blank slate in that regard. Also what do people think about Sudoku? I want to be able to hold several hypotheticals in my head during LG section, what will teach me to do that?

I am also visually oriented. If I can build a system where I put sheets of paper up on my wall in my bedroom that would probably help me. I need to see everything in it's place and then I know if that happens I will just "get it" all of a sudden. BUT it is useless if the items aren't organized correctly, so if anyone has any sort of similar experience that would be great.

I have a very low UGPA but am capable of scoring a 170+. I want to go to a Tier 1 school but will settle for Tier 2. I will not waste time going to a Tier 3 or 4 unless I am offered a full-ride+ additional benefits. I have good-to-great softs and rockstar recommendations.

jasper09

Bronze

Post by jasper09 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:27 pm

I think you're in a solid position, so I will offer my $.02 based on my experiences. I prepped with the PowerScore Bibles, the Advanced Logical Reasoning online course, and the LR question type training books. I took the test twice. First time, I was PT-ing around 173. My actual score was a 163 (I was sick the day of the test- def should've just cancelled my score). I did the online course for the retake. My PTs were only marginally higher, but I got a 176 on the official test. With all that said, while I feel PowerScore's materials are pretty solid, in retrospect I think I would've picked different materials. Since you are doing that, I have a few comments and recommendations based on my particular experience with PS and what eventually helped me:

1. I like their logic games approach, with the caveat that I adapted some of the rule diagrams to a manner that works better for me. If you feel good about the games, I would try to maintain/strengthen to where you are consistently -0. In terms of visual orientation/holding hypotheticals in your head, this may seem like a silly comment, but don't just hold them in your head- write them down. The number of times a hypothetical you did on a previous question will come in handy on a subsequent question may surprise you. I think the key is becoming so completely comfortable with the rules for a given game that you immediately know the implications of those rules when you're given a certain scenario, or can quickly diagram them. I watched a few free 7sage videos, and I liked them- try them out for reinforcement.

2. I like PowerScore's LR question type classification, and I think that their LR Bible does a decent job of introducing the question types. However, I found the explanations for incorrect answer choices just a smidge lacking, even in the online course. Whenever I would do PTs, I found myself looking at the question explanations on the Manhattan forums. So, I would suggest you try a different prep book, and would particularly recommend that you check out Manhattan (their explanations were super intuitive to me, and while I did well on the LSAT, I believe I could have done even better if I'd just started out with Manhattan). I've heard good things about Blueprint and the LSAT Trainer as well- there are tons of threads in this forum with tons of comments and questions about the various options. Just find the one that's intuitive. You need to be able to understand why a correct answer choice is correct, and why an incorrect answer choice is incorrect. That is going to be key.

3. Drilling, reviewing, and just tons of in-depth practice. BUT, focus on the quality of your review. You have the time to cover an ample quantity, but quality is key here. Loads of threads here say similar.

I don't have many recommendations for non-LSAT-specific things like Sudoku (though I believe it might have marginal utility for linear games), other than saying that any leisure reading should be nonfiction. Exposure to complex passages similar to ones you may encounter on the LSAT can only help- I like lengthier science and humanities passages in periodicals like the Economist. You've got a great starting point on RC- and I think you can do even better.

ellemillsaps

New

Post by ellemillsaps » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:09 pm

Please please please do yourself a favor and get blueprint. They have 120 hours of HD, animated, hilarious videos on top of the five textbooks and unlimited tests/homework (and explanations) you get. I actually enjoy studying and would never go back to another company. They make the LSAT fun, and I feel like their curriculum and strategies are unique. I never had logic background, and I'm finding the course to be great for me so far.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”