How I got a perfect score on the LSAT. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
prelaw76

New

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Post by prelaw76 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:42 am

SeekingHeight wrote:
For example, my first diag was 162...there's no way I can ever get 180.
I'm going to mimic Trojan here and disagree with you, if only in principle. I mean, maybe your diagnostic was wildly inaccurate and you should have scored a 140. However, a 162 is a very good initial diagnostic. Think about it: You're scoring around the 90th percentile cold. That's fantastic. It tells me that you have a very firm grip on many core LSAT concepts. Thus, with refinement and commitment, you should be able to push your score into the 99th percentile. Even a 180 cannot be considered unfeasible.

Like Trojan, I am not a genius, nor am I brilliant. Yet I scored a 175. I had to earn every single point from my initial 157 diagnostic. Did I doubt myself? Repeatedly. We like to justify our pessimism by dressing it as reality, but remember reality is that normal joes such as Trojan and I scored well. I don't know Trojan's LSAT story, but I'll tell you that hard work and a smart strategy are powerful tools in the hands of a determined individual.
I agree. Diagnostics mean nothing. Congrats on your successful jump from 157 to 175, that is quite impressive!

Carnodel

New

Post by Carnodel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:55 am

I would read The Economist, The Smithsonian, and Scientific American, daily.
Some of my favorites. haha

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:48 pm

I have a question for you, JDew. Did you read the print versions of those magazines or the online articles daily?

prelaw76

New

Post by prelaw76 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:01 am

jsporter wrote:I have a question for you, JDew. Did you read the print versions of those magazines or the online articles daily?
I guess the print versions would be more beneficial for the purpose of the LSAT.

Until the LSAT goes to the computer, of course. I wonder when that will be.

UVAchica

New

Post by UVAchica » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:39 pm

JDewey wrote:Thought I would give my bit of advice. I took a more holistic than most people I think.

Here are my top three bits of advice.

1) Read all different kinds of information. I would read The Economist, The Smithsonian, and Scientific American, daily. I think this is what helped the most, and reading should be a top priority. You can re-wire the neurons in your brain to better handle written words if you read all the time. Most people's brains are probably set in "T.V. Mode" and unfortunately there is no video section on the LSAT. Turn off the television, start reading dense material, this will help you across the board not just on the reading comprehension section.

2) Pick up a good book on INFORMAL logic. I hear people saying that formal logic important, believe me, for this test INFORMAL logic is actually what you want to study. I think people are confusing the two. I am particularly fond of "Informal Logic: A handbook for critical argument" by Douglas N. Walton.

3) When you are studying, figure out why each answer choice was wrong, as well as why the correct one was in fact correct. This is kind of common sense but the tediousness of doing this causes it to be often ignored.

Cheers
A perfect lsat score.. holy crap I wish!

But how much can turning off the tv relly help? isnt it just the technique you have to get down?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cbffutebol

New

Post by cbffutebol » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:08 am

No, it's the ability to focus intensely for long periods of time and to apply the technique quickly. When your parents park you in front of the tv as a kid (and I speak from personal experience), your attention span is shot. Watching tv does not require a lot of mental agility. I would tell t.v. lovers to pick a few shows and stop surfing. This thread shouldn't be hijacked by a discussion of tv, but for most people, 180 --> ~ lots of tv. I think the title of this thread is a bit pretentious, but the OP's original advice is really sound.

tamtam

New

Post by tamtam » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:32 am

The LSAT is my biggest hurdle for my law school application. I started learning English when I was in 11th grade.

tellmebaby2

New

Post by tellmebaby2 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:34 pm

tamtam wrote:The LSAT is my biggest hurdle for my law school application. I started learning English when I was in 11th grade.
Really now?

rynabrius

Bronze

Post by rynabrius » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:56 am

I got a 180 on one practice test. The next practice test I got a 174. The next I got a 171. By test day I could be back down to 164. I wish I'd never gotten that 180, it made me cocky.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tellmebaby2

New

Post by tellmebaby2 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:20 pm

rynabrius wrote:I got a 180 on one practice test. The next practice test I got a 174. The next I got a 171. By test day I could be back down to 164. I wish I'd never gotten that 180, it made me cocky.
Damn why the large range of scores?

And this thread is very helpful, thank you OP!

rynabrius

Bronze

Post by rynabrius » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:26 pm

tellmebaby2 wrote:
rynabrius wrote:I got a 180 on one practice test. The next practice test I got a 174. The next I got a 171. By test day I could be back down to 164. I wish I'd never gotten that 180, it made me cocky.
Damn why the large range of scores?
1) Almost all the variance in my scores is due to the logic games. My cold-test was a 164, but if I had gotten LG perfect I would have gotten a 177.
2) I'm an insomniac. Sometimes I don't sleep and take the test anyway. Not a good idea :<
3) The curves at the high end are tighter than a virgin midget.

thedudelebowski

New

Post by thedudelebowski » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:39 pm

Last edited by thedudelebowski on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

tellmebaby2

New

Post by tellmebaby2 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:45 am

thedudelebowski wrote:I got a 176. I hit 180 a few times on PTs, but I hit low 170s a few times too.

I was relieved to have a good score and all, but I did have a tinge of disappointment when I got my score. I wonder if I could have gotten a 180. I have a breathtakingly horrible college GPA so it wouldn't have done me much good.

As to the OP's suggestions, I think it's helpful to be an intellectually curious person all around. I don't think there's anything "special" you need to do. Just get comfortable, practice and give it your best shot.

I checked out an old logic textbook from the public library and read through some of that. It may have helped.

I never actually did a diagnostic so it's fair to say I don't really know much about the effectiveness of my preparation, although I'm sure I benefited from it.
interesting, thanks for sharing your insight and experience :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

libertarian

Bronze

Post by libertarian » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:01 am

Last edited by libertarian on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

doctorgonzo

New

Post by doctorgonzo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:09 am

libertarian wrote:Do you guys have any big tips for LG?

That's my worst section. I have the LG Bible, but it's so intimidating because of the glut of information I get when I read it.
Just work through that information. The more games you do, the less intimidating it will be.

tellmebaby2

New

Post by tellmebaby2 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:32 pm

libertarian wrote:Do you guys have any big tips for LG?

That's my worst section. I have the LG Bible, but it's so intimidating because of the glut of information I get when I read it.
I think redoing problems is important. Even though you will remember the big deductions, it is still good for speed work in setting up your diagrams.

cmu1

New

Post by cmu1 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:33 pm

Redoing problems, over and over and over again.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tellmebaby2

New

Post by tellmebaby2 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:45 pm

cmu1 wrote:Redoing problems, over and over and over again.
Can't tell whether you are agreeing with me or being sarcastic :?:

Chuch

New

Post by Chuch » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:04 pm

Just studying the problems I missed by defining the question types and studying the associated technique jumped me from a 153 diagnostic to a 176 on test day. I kind of got lucky though. I guessed which section was the experimental and used that time for a much needed bathroom/smoke break. That cigarette added 10 points to my score at a minimum.

Source

New

Post by Source » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:48 pm

Tell me about it. I took a self diagnostic cold just to see what my starting point was about 3 months ago, and got a 177. Since then I only managed to make myself read 1/2 of the LG bible, the first 3 pages of the LR Bible, and take two more PT's (176,175). Now after the test is over I'm cursing myself for ever taking the first one. Totally ruined my initiative.

cmu1

New

Post by cmu1 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:38 pm

I am being totally serious.

Nothing has helped with LG more than repeating questions (even those that I got right the first time around). Don't just solve them and answer the questions, though; try to figure out how the game works. There is a logic behind each game and if you fully understand a game, you will be able to handle similar questions easily.

I follow the process G. Polya establishes in his influencial book, How to Solve It: A New Aspect of the Mathematical Method. It's a valuable little book, not only for mathematicians, but for everyone interested in solving problems.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Solve-Aspect- ... 0691023565

The LG Bible essentially rehashes the Polya's procedure, tailored to the LSAT.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mel

New

Post by Mel » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:39 pm

prelaw76 wrote:
Alf14997 wrote:This is a self-selecting forum. There is bound to be a large number of extremely high scorers.
That's true, but three 180's in a single thread?
As Solid Snake once said, "Knowing your enemy is the quickest path to victory."

What quicker path to slaying the LSAT is there than to converse with hermits whose lives completely revolve around this test?

tellmebaby2

New

Post by tellmebaby2 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:26 pm

Mel wrote:
prelaw76 wrote:
Alf14997 wrote:This is a self-selecting forum. There is bound to be a large number of extremely high scorers.

What quicker path to slaying the LSAT is there than to converse with hermits whose lives completely revolve around this test?
That's what I'm talking about, and is why I joined every LSAT message board possible lol.

UVAchica

New

Post by UVAchica » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:53 pm

Mel wrote:
prelaw76 wrote:
Sounds kind of dirty..

wen5000

New

Post by wen5000 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:27 pm

Totally stole that from Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”