Is a poor GRE indicative of a low LSAT score? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kjsmit02

New

Is a poor GRE indicative of a low LSAT score?

Post by kjsmit02 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:53 pm

I recently took the GRE on a whim seeking acceptance into a fellowship program. I studied in a span of five days for a total of 18+hrs. My lack of preparation was due to finding out last minute that I needed to take the test while on vacation. Either way, I got my official score today and it was a 307 (152 - Quantitative, 155 - Verbal, 4.0 - analytical writing). These are very average scores from what I've researched and was wondering if I should expect similar scores or percentile ranges on the LSAT? If so, how much should the extra study time I have between now and october help in boosting my lsat score? If anyone has taken both tests, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Diamond

Re: Is a poor GRE indicative of a low LSAT score?

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:55 pm

kjsmit02 wrote:I recently took the GRE on a whim seeking acceptance into a fellowship program. I studied in a span of five days for a total of 18+hrs. My lack of preparation was due to finding out last minute that I needed to take the test while on vacation. Either way, I got my official score today and it was a 307 (152 - Quantitative, 155 - Verbal, 4.0 - analytical writing). These are very average scores from what I've researched and was wondering if I should expect similar scores or percentile ranges on the LSAT? If so, how much should the extra study time I have between now and october help in boosting my lsat score? If anyone has taken both tests, your input would be greatly appreciated.
There is no good indicator. Hell, even the LSAT isn't a great indicator of future LSAT scores.

But if you've never been a good standardized test taker, you probably won't start being one now.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:56 pm

just take a practice lsat and see where you're at

Aasterinian

New

Post by Aasterinian » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:47 am

Your score on the quantitative section probably isn't indicative of anything because there's no comparable section on the LSAT. Your score on the Verbal section will probably be fairly close to your LSAT reading comprehension score, but it probably isn't going to be super strongly correlated with your performance on LR or (especially) LG. The best way to find out is, as others have suggested, to take a timed practice test and see how you do.

myscoreonmysleeve

New

Post by myscoreonmysleeve » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:41 am

kjsmit02 wrote:I recently took the GRE on a whim seeking acceptance into a fellowship program. I studied in a span of five days for a total of 18+hrs. My lack of preparation was due to finding out last minute that I needed to take the test while on vacation. Either way, I got my official score today and it was a 307 (152 - Quantitative, 155 - Verbal, 4.0 - analytical writing). These are very average scores from what I've researched and was wondering if I should expect similar scores or percentile ranges on the LSAT? If so, how much should the extra study time I have between now and october help in boosting my lsat score? If anyone has taken both tests, your input would be greatly appreciated.
Just curious: was your percentile ranking comparable to that of your SAT score? I think the LSAT is much more "learnable", as it is often pronounced on this site. You jave to learn informal logic fundamentals by heart and the neat approaches to various logic game types. Familiarity with reading passages and their question types will also help you score at your potential.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

myscoreonmysleeve

New

Post by myscoreonmysleeve » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:45 am

dr123 wrote:just take a practice lsat and see where you're at
I disagree, especially if you have never done a logic game in your life. Learn conditional reasoning first and go through the various bibles. Chances are you are goimg to suck. Does the OP have any logical foundation?

magickware

Bronze

Post by magickware » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:20 pm

The GRE is pathetically easy compared to the LSAT, at least when it comes to comparable sections.

But the LSAT score in of itself isn't indicative of anything besides your ability to take the LSAT and, to a lesser extent, your logical reasoning abilities.

Do know that the vast majority of people score below 160 on their first diagnostic without any prep. Obviously this means that a good number of people who score above 170 raised their score by a good 14-15 points. This means that the test is learn-able, but it takes a lot of time and effort, which depends on how comfortable you are with puzzles and logical reasoning previously.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:22 pm

myscoreonmysleeve wrote:
dr123 wrote:just take a practice lsat and see where you're at
I disagree, especially if you have never done a logic game in your life. Learn conditional reasoning first and go through the various bibles. Chances are you are goimg to suck. Does the OP have any logical foundation?
I took my first LSAT prep test w/o ever having looked at any problems before. Of course, you're going to suck but it helps you get a baseline.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:46 pm

magickware wrote:
Do know that the vast majority of people score below 160 on their first diagnostic without any prep. Obviously this means that a good number of people who score above 170 raised their score by a good 14-15 points.
No

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:49 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
magickware wrote:
Do know that the vast majority of people score below 160 on their first diagnostic without any prep. Obviously this means that a good number of people who score above 170 raised their score by a good 14-15 points.
No
Vast majority don't score 170+ either. 3% do

magickware

Bronze

Post by magickware » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:49 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
magickware wrote:
No
No as to the the vast majority of people who score below 160 on their first diagnostic?

Or that a good number of people who score above 170 raised their score by a good 14-15 points? Perhaps more accurate to just say 10+?

Desert Fox-

Never said that. I said a good number of people who score above 170 raised their score by 14-15 from their first diagnostic. I would imagine a lot of people who score 170 in the end scored below 160 on their first diagnostic.

myscoreonmysleeve

New

Post by myscoreonmysleeve » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:58 am

Argument invalid. Most rest takers initially score under 160. Some test takers score 170 on the actual test, or above. No relationship can be inferred from that line of reasoning that supports your conclusion. I have a feeling that 15pt increases are an exception (a huge one).

Note: phone acting weird due to poor internet access. Sorry for all the edits.
magickware wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:
magickware wrote:

No
No as to the the vast majority of people who score below 160 on their first diagnostic?

Or that a good number of people who score above 170 raised their score by a good 14-15 points? Perhaps more accurate to just say 10+?

Desert Fox-

Never said that. I said a good number of people who score above 170 raised their score by 14-15 from their first diagnostic. I would imagine a lot of people who score 170 in the end scored below 160 on their first diagnostic.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:35 am

regarding the frequency of +15 point jumps, a lot of it depends on where your missed questions come from too. i missed 15/23 LG on my first diagnostic and was -12 on the other sections combined for a 157. within weeks i was -0/1 on LG, due to working through the powerscore bible. that was at least an 11 or 12 point jump just from working through some games.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

potted plant

New

Post by potted plant » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:46 pm

I don't think a 14-15 point jump is that unusual. Especially if you're measuring from your first diagnostic with no prep at all. I had a 7 point jump between my first and second diagnostic just because on the second test I was more familiar with the timing and paced myself much better.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:48 pm

Average GRE score, very good LSAT score here. It is a completely different test that measures completely different things. Regardless of the test, preparation is what is going to get you a good score

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”