Best Test Prep Company for a low inital scorer?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Irundistance

New

Best Test Prep Company for a low inital scorer??

Post by Irundistance » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:45 pm

I have an issue. I've been studying for the LSAT since late March in preparation for the Oct test. I've been using the powerscore bibles, using pithypikes & LSAT Blog's study schedule, and drilling on Logic games consistently, but its not clicking. I am frustrated at this point but I am not going to give up. I feel that I need a prep-course, self studying just doesn't work for me. What test prep companies are good for someone like me? My diagnostic was in the mid 140s and I have trouble with Logic Games. I have no trouble putting in the effort, I just want to go with a good company. Any suggestions will be helpful, thanks!

Nova

Platinum

Re: Best Test Prep Company for a low inital scorer??

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:47 pm

Manhattan/Powerscore/Blueprint/Testmasters

are all credited courses.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:48 pm

Have you tried watching 7sage vids while drilling?

meegee

Bronze

Post by meegee » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:52 pm

First things first: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=151670

There you go. A stickied thread talking about the various prep course companies out there.

I think the general idea out there is that prep courses are useful for people who need help establishing the fundamentals (sounds like you may need some help). But even more so, prep courses are there to help people who have trouble committing themselves to self-study.

You first say self-studying doesn't work for you, and then you follow up saying you have no trouble putting in the effort. I think the success of self-studying hinges on the effort you put in. So if you have no trouble putting in the effort, it appears you should have no problem self-studying. If you do have problems with effort, a prep course can help, but the teachers can't force you to do your homework, read the assigned readings, listen in class, etc.

If you decide to self-study, do it right. 30 minutes a day isn't going to cut it, unless you start studying WAY early. Read the Powerscore logic games bible, cover to cover. Don't read it like a novel. Read it like a manual. Drill logic game types in accordance to the section/chapter you just learned. Drill until you feel you are relatively comfortable, then move on to the next chapter. Once you finished the book, drill more games. Identify your weakness and what you need help with. Go back and consult the relevant chapters, and/or buy a different logic games book to offer you an alternate method/perspective. Then drill some more.

This is given, but I'll say it just in case. Make sure you're reviewing while drilling. That could mean checking Manhattan's logic games forum, 7sage's free logic game videos, and checking with your book of choice.

Once you've done all that. Drill some more.

Then drill.
And drill.
And drill more.

And dri.. - I think you get the idea.

Irundistance

New

Post by Irundistance » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:59 pm

I've been putting in at least 3 hrs a day studying so I'm not slacking with putting the time in. I think a prep course will help me with the fundamentals.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Irundistance

New

Post by Irundistance » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:01 pm

meegee wrote:First things first: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=151670

There you go. A stickied thread talking about the various prep course companies out there.

I think the general idea out there is that prep courses are useful for people who need help establishing the fundamentals (sounds like you may need some help). But even more so, prep courses are there to help people who have trouble committing themselves to self-study.

You first say self-studying doesn't work for you, and then you follow up saying you have no trouble putting in the effort. I think the success of self-studying hinges on the effort you put in. So if you have no trouble putting in the effort, it appears you should have no problem self-studying. If you do have problems with effort, a prep course can help, but the teachers can't force you to do your homework, read the assigned readings, listen in class, etc.

If you decide to self-study, do it right. 30 minutes a day isn't going to cut it, unless you start studying WAY early. Read the Powerscore logic games bible, cover to cover. Don't read it like a novel. Read it like a manual. Drill logic game types in accordance to the section/chapter you just learned. Drill until you feel you are relatively comfortable, then move on to the next chapter. Once you finished the book, drill more games. Identify your weakness and what you need help with. Go back and consult the relevant chapters, and/or buy a different logic games book to offer you an alternate method/perspective. Then drill some more.

This is given, but I'll say it just in case. Make sure you're reviewing while drilling. That could mean checking Manhattan's logic games forum, 7sage's free logic game videos, and checking with your book of choice.

Once you've done all that. Drill some more.

Then drill.
And drill.
And drill more.

And dri.. - I think you get the idea.
Thanks for your advice. I've been drilling, consulting the videos, and using multiple resources. Its not clicking for me since I lack the fundamentals. And tha's where a prep course will help, like you said.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:04 pm

As an aside, you might want to find a company that teaches in a way that is the most similar to the stuff you have been using.

It would be a disservice if you take a program that forces too much unlearning.

Irundistance

New

Post by Irundistance » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:12 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:As an aside, you might want to find a company that teaches in a way that is the most similar to the stuff you have been using.

True. So that would be powerscore since I've used their methods for LG.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:16 pm

Irundistance wrote:
UnderrateOverachieve wrote:As an aside, you might want to find a company that teaches in a way that is the most similar to the stuff you have been using.

True. So that would be powerscore since I've used their methods for LG.
PS classes are solid

Personally, I like looking at a lot of different strategies and then picking and choosing my favorites. If you think that would confuse you, you may want to stick with just PS. I would recommend trying out other strategies too though.

For self study, I would recommend running through M too http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-LSAT-Se ... sat+bundle

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Honestly speaking, no potentially successful law student should need a prep course these days - but I don't discredit anyone who uses one, and using one doesn't mean you can't be successful.

Prep courses don't reveal anything that isn't already available to students on their own. They simply unlock information that already exists; some students find it on their own, and some students benefit when a teacher rephrases certain concepts and point students in the right direction.

I will say, however, that the tools needed to succeed in law school are the same as those that allow a student to successfully self-study. You may need to "outline" or formulate an individualized practice plan and follow it. You often need to do lots of reading and research. There's lots of practice-testing...yada-yada. It's really about discipline; no prep course can give you that.

These days, few students should be taking prep courses, but if your situation dictates that you enroll in one, it should help you. At some point, you are going to realize that the instructors only led you to information you could have found on your own (it's more than just knowing what books to use) with due diligence.

THIS IS A LONG-WINDED WAY OF SAYING "DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A PREP COURSE UNLESS IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY".

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:35 am

I used a PS class to go from 154 to high 160a, but ended up with a 165 on test day. With self study, I now scoring in the 170s. Looking back, the course probably wasn't necessary, but it definitely helped me get a jump start on studying, because I would do hours of homework each night between classes.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:04 pm

It's also important to find a class with an instructor who teaches in a way that clicks with you. So OP, definitely call up the companies in the area and see if you can set up time to talk with the instructor for your class. If you need help doing that for Blueprint, shoot me a PM.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”