JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MKX

Bronze

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by MKX » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:52 pm

Okay hoping for some positive feed back here...

On Saturday I took my first timed PT. Sunday and Monday I reviewed it, and worked a little in the PSLR book. I'm only about through 2 or 3 of the main ideas in that book so far so I still have some improvement hopefully coming.

First PT: PT40; score: 150
Second PT: PT43; score 154

Slight upgrade I guess, but I'm not too pleased. My Logical Reasoning did improve by 2 questions and my Reading comp by 1 only. I saved RC until the end because my main problem in that section is getting burned out and losing focus, which obviously happened again (and time played a factor this time).

Confused on how I only missed 3 on Logic Games. I have no method to setting up the games, have yet to even read a page of my PSLG. On the first one I believe i missed 4-5, and this time only -3. I'm hoping once I actually have a strategy when it comes to these games I will be able to get -0. I already have about a minute or two to spare once I'm done so hopefully that improves too.

Now I noticed my biggest problem are Parallel Reasoning questions. I haven't covered them in LR yet, but the RC book did briefly touch on them I believe. On LR I've only gotten 3 out of 8 right. Is 'Suggested/Implied' similar to this concept? The PS doesn't use the exact term 'Suggested/Implied' so not sure what that translates too. I only got 3 out of 10 right on those. By far my two biggest flaws so far.

Oh well back to studying more. Reviewing the test also helps, but I hate when I narrow it down to two and I pick the wrong one of the two...

Worst part is I see these great scores you guys are hitting and I feel like an idiot still stuck in the 150s.

0913djp

Bronze

Post by 0913djp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:58 pm

MKX, I'm in a similar position. You just gotta be patient. Keep on sharpening the skills. LG should become a breeze if you're doing well without knowing any of the basics behind that. Stay steady.

MKX

Bronze

Post by MKX » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:04 pm

0913djp wrote:MKX, I'm in a similar position. You just gotta be patient. Keep on sharpening the skills. LG should become a breeze if you're doing well without knowing any of the basics behind that. Stay steady.
I know my problem on RC is mental fatigue so I just have to work on stamina there, but LR are my first two sections I should be dominating them. Hopefully when I finish the PS LR book my score shoots up.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:58 pm

Just took PT 52 - 91 Raw/172 Scaled

LR1 -1 - Missed question 17, I immediately crossed of D due to a reading error, finished a few minutes early
LG -0 - These games made me sweat a bit, lots of leg work, finished at the five minute mark
LR2 -4 - Got really sloppy, haven't reviewed them yet, finished a few minutes early
RC -3 - I felt really great about this section, it seemed really easy. The questions I missed I feel were really subjective, but I see why they are right. It looks like RC drilling is starting to pay off a bit

The LR seemed pretty easy on this test, I wish I could have nailed that second section of it. I thought the test was pretty easy and wasn't surprised by the -10 curve. Thorough review and drilling tomorrow! Keep truckin' folks, two months 'til go time!

ETA - LSATQA no longer says strengthen questions are one of my weaknesses. Keep drilling people!
Last edited by 052220151 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:01 am

MKX wrote:Okay hoping for some positive feed back here...

On Saturday I took my first timed PT. Sunday and Monday I reviewed it, and worked a little in the PSLR book. I'm only about through 2 or 3 of the main ideas in that book so far so I still have some improvement hopefully coming.

First PT: PT40; score: 150
Second PT: PT43; score 154

Slight upgrade I guess, but I'm not too pleased. My Logical Reasoning did improve by 2 questions and my Reading comp by 1 only. I saved RC until the end because my main problem in that section is getting burned out and losing focus, which obviously happened again (and time played a factor this time).

Confused on how I only missed 3 on Logic Games. I have no method to setting up the games, have yet to even read a page of my PSLG. On the first one I believe i missed 4-5, and this time only -3. I'm hoping once I actually have a strategy when it comes to these games I will be able to get -0. I already have about a minute or two to spare once I'm done so hopefully that improves too.

Now I noticed my biggest problem are Parallel Reasoning questions. I haven't covered them in LR yet, but the RC book did briefly touch on them I believe. On LR I've only gotten 3 out of 8 right. Is 'Suggested/Implied' similar to this concept? The PS doesn't use the exact term 'Suggested/Implied' so not sure what that translates too. I only got 3 out of 10 right on those. By far my two biggest flaws so far.

Oh well back to studying more. Reviewing the test also helps, but I hate when I narrow it down to two and I pick the wrong one of the two...

Worst part is I see these great scores you guys are hitting and I feel like an idiot still stuck in the 150s.
Put off until October. It sounds like you are getting poised to make a big break through. Temporarily stop taking PTs. Sleep with your Bibles until you know them cold, drill the sections from PT 1-38 over and over again. Take one PT every two weeks until you hit in the mid 160s.

It sounds like you have a solid start on the basics, perfect them, then PT. October is still early and you can still have a highly profitable cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:02 am

Pretty sure i am officially moving to October test. As a 4th time retaker, i basically have to be 100% confident in my skills and my LR is objectively terrible, although my LG has improved dramatically. I dont think i have time to get through the LRB and Manhattan books, Qs by type, and still have time to get a lot of solid PTs in.

/raging.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:04 am

rebexness wrote:Pretty sure i am officially moving to October test. As a 4th time retaker, i basically have to be 100% confident in my skills and my LR is objectively terrible, although my LG has improved dramatically. I dont think i have time to get through the LRB and Manhattan books, Qs by type, and still have time to get a lot of solid PTs in.

/raging.
Don't sweat it Bex. It sounds like a smart move. Not ideal, but smart. Please hang around in this thread though/the waiting thread. You can be an honorary June Taker.

mqt

Gold

Post by mqt » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:07 am

Getting up bright and early for PT 54. Anyone else doing 4 section PTs this month? I feel like the fifth section is nice at the end, but not important enough to do the whole time. Also, Cambridge better get me my fucking question type packets this week. MAF.

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:29 am

Mqt wrote:Getting up bright and early for PT 54. Anyone else doing 4 section PTs this month? I feel like the fifth section is nice at the end, but not important enough to do the whole time. Also, Cambridge better get me my fucking question type packets this week. MAF.
Yea I am doing 5 sections every Thursday,good luck to everyone,I took pt54,was not a bad one ,I scored 172 ,I missed stupid mistakes,need to move above that,lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ricekrispies

New

Post by ricekrispies » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:20 am

Finally broke into the 170's tonight with my practice test! I hit a 172 on Practice Test 20. Did not time it at all and was mainly doing it for LR practice, but I am still pretty excited about it.

Malakai

Bronze

Post by Malakai » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:48 am

Is anyone still looking for a partner for online or blackboard meetups once a week or every two weeks? I'm in the market for a study buddy (or several). Doesn't have to be long meetups, maybe an hour or so to discuss finds/weaknesses/questions/etc.

mqt

Gold

Post by mqt » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Well, that sucked.

PT 54
Raw Score: 88, Scaled: 167

Woke up feeling like shit, had to stop halfway through RC to use the restroom, felt sick to my stomach the whole time and never recovered. Got a -0 in games, but I found myself just rushing through to get done. I probably shouldn't have even taken the test today. Hopefully I don't get sick for the actual June test, because I do not respond well.

Chambo

Bronze

Post by Chambo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Did Superprep C the other day and timed myself by counting up... I tried to keep a good pace going and finish within 35 minutes but kept working on the section after it was done.

LG: -1, plus I didn't get to 2 problems
LR: -0, finished with 3 minutes left
LR: -2, plus I didn't get to 3 problems
RC: -2, finished with about 15 seconds left

The pattern game was hard for me to figure out, and games have never quite clicked for me. Not sure why but it's almost always my shakiest section.

LR2 was tough, but it's good to find weaknesses. I think going through Manhattan LR has really helped me achieve a more thorough understanding of the questions and what to look for. I don't feel like I'm on autopilot quite so much but overall it should be helpful. Just need more practice on nailing these things down.

Going to drill some pattern games today and see how it goes. I think experience with this type of game could have helped me on Zones in October.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lsatkid007

Bronze

Post by lsatkid007 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:51 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
lsatkid007 wrote:Hey guys
could someone please explain pt3 sec2 #22. It's about the public reports by national commissions.

I when doing LR questions to look for conclusion and the evidence supporting the conclusion but how about the MBT questions? The usually just have a list of facts. What do you guys circle or underline?

thank you
For MBT questions you don't want to focus on the core of the argument; instead, focus on how the facts interact with one another. Usually this interaction will be in the form of conditional logic and that's the case with this question.

The first sentence is just background information providing context to the stimulus. The second sentence is where you'd begin diagramming:

(1)Remain a leading nation in an era of international competitiveness ---> "Need" is Undeniable ("need" is just borrowed language from the first sentence ie) better understanding of int'l affairs by the citizenry)

(2) If there is a need ---> Teachers must be prepared to teach subject matter with an international orientation

We can connect (1) and (2) to get:

Remain a leading nation in an era of international competitiveness ---> Better understanding of int'l affairs by the citizenry ---> Teachers must be prepared to teach subject matter with an international orientation

From this chain we can infer: Remain a leading nation in an era of International Competitiveness ---> Teachers must be prepared to teach subject matter with an international orientation

This is exactly what answer choice A says
Thanks Card. The borrowed language tripped me up. I should skim through my MLR.

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Finally finished off the last section (Conditional Reasoning) of the PTs 1-20 LR drilling book. 997 problems down! About half-way through PTs 21-40. It's kinda frustrating how much less helpful LR drilling is compared to LG. I was missing 5-8 per PT before, now that's only down to 3-5. While I haven't missed an LG problem since I finished drilling (-0 on 5 straight PTs).

Fuck RC drilling, just fuck it.

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:22 pm

Did preptest 51 today, 159!!!!!!!!! Perfect on the games!

This is good *for me anyways* seeing that I came from a 145 diagnostic. A 159 is one of my better scores and this is my first perfect on the games, but these games were SO easy

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:25 pm

The first perfect games score is such a good feel, bro.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:40 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:Did preptest 51 today, 159!!!!!!!!! Perfect on the games!

This is good *for me anyways* seeing that I came from a 145 diagnostic. A 159 is one of my better scores and this is my first perfect on the games, but these games were SO easy
Good job, Brah! Keep drilling that LR and RC. 170+ is within your grasp. You taking oct?

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:40 pm

rebexness wrote:The first perfect games score is such a good feel, bro.
I KNOW right!?!?!? The best part is that I finished it with 13 minutes left to spare.

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:16 pm

drilled evaluate questions today... got 1 wrong, and I see why i got it wrong. O well, maybe next time.

MKX

Bronze

Post by MKX » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:15 am

Quick question about Law School numbers. Looking at lawschooltransperacy, when they show the full tuition cost (non-discounted), does that include living on campus? Assuming you live off campus that total would be lower right.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:43 pm

Some of them actually only publish the amount that you can take out in loans, not full COL.

Chambo

Bronze

Post by Chambo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:55 pm

MKX wrote:Quick question about Law School numbers. Looking at lawschooltransperacy, when they show the full tuition cost (non-discounted), does that include living on campus? Assuming you live off campus that total would be lower right.
I don't think they would assume law students would live on-campus. I feel like living expenses are always ball-parked, anyways, given how much you the amount you can spend or save varies so greatly.

MKX

Bronze

Post by MKX » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:15 pm

rebexness wrote:Some of them actually only publish the amount that you can take out in loans, not full COL.
Hmm this could be it. I was looking at Chicago-Kent and their website said $127,063 for 3 years (estimation depending on how the rate rises per year) and lawschooltransperacy had it at $229,245 so I was a bit confused.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:17 pm

MKX wrote:
rebexness wrote:Some of them actually only publish the amount that you can take out in loans, not full COL.
Hmm this could be it. I was looking at Chicago-Kent and their website said $127,063 for 3 years (estimation depending on how the rate rises per year) and lawschooltransperacy had it at $229,245 so I was a bit confused.
Tuition doesn't include COL. LST includes full COA.
COL is usually calculated for 8/9 months, not a full year, so you have to take that into account as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”