LSAT vocabulary words. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:49 pm

quinnmittens wrote:
Davidbentley wrote:Image
Wow, ya'll trying to play me with the statistics. It's a 8th grade level word, so you are implying I should be embarrassed. I am not ashamed of not being familiar with a word just because some statistics said I should. I grew up in the streets and went to a under-funded public school and then went onto college, which was public by the way. So excuse me for not knowing a 8th grade level word. My bad. All I am saying is NOT every body knows words that other people do not. Like I said before, people come different backgrounds. Foreigners even take this test. I know somebody who speaks english as a second language who doesn't know words that I do, should he not be entitled to take the test because of his limited vocabulary? The LSAT needs to reconginze this and not assume people know words even if it is seems to be rudimentary for a person with a degree. Keep it real, you know you don't go around with vocal flash cards from the 8th grade, 9th grade nor do you remember words from your 6th grade vocab test Mr. Smith gave you back in the day. I'm just saying keep it general and free of ambiguity. That is all.
But really, hastened? How have you gone this long without knowing what that word meant. Not trying to take a shot at you, I just never would had guessed people considered that a big word.

And your friend may not be entitled to take the test to be lawyer in the U.S. if their vocabulary is going to seriously hinder their ability to do well in Law School or practice law.

Other than that, I have come across some words I didn't know. I can't think of any examples but I remember their being one weird one where it was an answer choice, but it was the wrong answer anyways.

quinnmittens

New

Post by quinnmittens » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:49 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Cerebro wrote:
paradoxpredator wrote:
Cerebro wrote:It's interesting to me that 9 times out of 10, the people who complain about something (like a vocabulary word) not being fair are the same ones who blame society/circumstances/environment/whatever for their own shortcomings. Yeah, nobody walks around with vocab flashcards, but we read, we learn, and our vocabulary grows. If you struggle with vocabulary, don't demand that the test be lowered to your level. Rather, try to pull yourself up, and learn the vocabulary.
So you remember every word you come across? You do vocab lessons in the morning bruh? Keep it real...

The commonality of certain words used on the LSAT seems to be the issue, not the word itself.
I am keeping it real, "bruh"... I read quite extensively in subjects including Technology/Engineering, English and American Literature, Philosophy, and Criticism. I don't have to do vocab lessons, because I do remember the words I read and I know how to use them.

However, you don't need to look any further than yesterday's newspaper to see an example of the word hastened being used. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2 ... ayton.html

It can't be too uncommon a word if it is used in news headlines, eh?
Pfft, that's a Canadian news site. They don't speak American!
You act like it takes a long time to look up a word. It doesn't. And that analogy is poor. I will bet 5 dubs that the majority of people go to law school with vocabulary that is considered "sub-par" for law school standards. It is a whole new world. That's like a person who has a driver's license wants to be a limo driver, or drive big rig, or a bus. Hell NASCAR. You know how to drive, but do you know how to drive in a respective field? Comparatively, you have the vocab you come in with to law school, but do you have a legal vocabulary? It becomes acquired. Just like driving a bus, limo or big rig.

quinnmittens

New

Post by quinnmittens » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:50 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
quinnmittens wrote:
Wow, ya'll trying to play me with the statistics. It's a 8th grade level word, so you are implying I should be embarrassed. I am not ashamed of not being familiar with a word just because some statistics said I should. I grew up in the streets and went to a under-funded public school and then went onto college, which was public by the way. So excuse me for not knowing a 8th grade level word. My bad. All I am saying is NOT every body knows words that other people do not. Like I said before, people come different backgrounds. Foreigners even take this test. I know somebody who speaks english as a second language who doesn't know words that I do, should he not be entitled to take the test because of his limited vocabulary? The LSAT needs to reconginze this and not assume people know words even if it is seems to be rudimentary for a person with a degree. Keep it real, you know you don't go around with vocal flash cards from the 8th grade, 9th grade nor do you remember words from your 6th grade vocab test Mr. Smith gave you back in the day. I'm just saying keep it general and free of ambiguity. That is all.
But really, hastened? How have you gone this long without knowing what that word meant. Not trying to take a shot at you, I just never would had guessed people considered that a big word.

And your friend may not be entitled to take the test to be lawyer in the U.S. if their vocabulary is going to seriously hinder their ability to do well in Law School or practice law.

Other than that, I have come across some words I didn't know. I can't think of any examples but I remember their being one weird one where it was an answer choice, but it was the wrong answer anyways.

I can honestly say I have never heard it before. No shame over here.

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:51 pm

-----^^^ the "dubs" did it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muhFxXce6nA

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:53 pm

quinnmittens wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:
quinnmittens wrote:

I can honestly say I have never heard it before. No shame over here.
No worries, sometimes weird stuff like that happens. There actually was a word in one of the answer choices on an LR recently that I couldn't remember what it meant exactly... it wasn't an extremely common word but it was about the level I'd wager hasten is at. I had a good idea but couldn't be sure. It's a little too embarrassing to admit to which word it was, but I got the answer choice right by assuming what it probably meant in the context of the question lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:56 pm

I'm not going to say a small vocab will not hinder you, but at least in law school you can always use a dictionary.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:56 pm

Pocahontas

New

Post by Pocahontas » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:57 pm

Use dem context clues.

We've all come across words that make you say "WTF?!" while reading an RC passage. I completely agree that a few words on the LSAT may be outside of the average person's vocabulary, I just don't think that reality is the responsibility of LSAC.

Have you seen a practice GRE though??? That shit. LSAT vocab has nothing on the GRE.

quinnmittens

New

Post by quinnmittens » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:58 pm

Davidbentley wrote:-----^^^ the "dubs" did it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muhFxXce6nA
dubs is another term for $20 bill. I didn't mean "double" or whatever you thought I meant.
Last edited by quinnmittens on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:58 pm

Law school is all about reading, writing, and understanding complex language. It's supposed to test your possible success in your first year of law school. In general, I would assume, people with poor vocabulary do poorly in law school. There was some challenging language at times but nothing prohibitive. If you're college educated and hope to do well in law school, it's nothing that should make you stumble. If you don't happen to know the word, look at the sentence around it, and figure it out.
quinnmittens wrote:They even place these unfamiliar words words in the Reading Comp section.
Those are purposefully chosen dense passages. I feel like you're saying one of the main parts about the test isn't fair. Nearly comparable to, "I've never taken a logic or critical thinking class before in my life, it's not fair that I have to decipher these arguments. They should make them easier to identify." Yes, they could, but then the test would have no purpose.

TomThompson

New

Post by TomThompson » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:07 am

I think I have come across two word in my studying so far (LR sections 7-39, and 52-65) that I didn't understand. One of them was 'extant', but the context of the question stem and answer basically let me know what it meant. Though I looked it up afterwards to be sure :) It's actually kind of fun- I do consider myself fairly well read and literate so it's interesting to come across words I have never in fact encountered.

quinnmittens

New

Post by quinnmittens » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:09 am

[quote="guinness1547"] If you're college educated and hope to do well in law school, it's nothing that should make you stumble.

I know plenty of people who are "college educated." C's get Degrees.

The RC defines those words in the text and some words aren't defined (the ones that they assume EVERYBODY knows)

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:10 am

quinnmittens wrote:
guinness1547 wrote: If you're college educated and hope to do well in law school, it's nothing that should make you stumble.

The RC defines those words in the text and some words aren't defined (the ones that they assume EVERYBODY knows)
They assume everyone knows them because everyone taking the LSAT should know them. Period.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

quinnmittens

New

Post by quinnmittens » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:16 am

I respectfully disagree.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:20 am

quinnmittens wrote:I respectfully disagree.
Ok then, don't improve your vocabulary enough to get a good enough LSAT score to get into a school that will give you a decent chance at a job. Unlike some other really stupid choices, like texting while driving, you'll only be hurting yourself.

Bottom line is, your opinion is wrong and doesn't matter anyway.

Cerebro

Bronze

Post by Cerebro » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:25 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Ok then, don't improve your vocabulary enough to get a good enough LSAT score to get into a school that will give you a decent chance at a job. Unlike some other really stupid choices, like texting while driving, you'll only be hurting yourself.

Good point!
Last edited by Cerebro on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 am

Cerebro wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I mean no disrespect, but this is a poor analogy. Texting while driving has the potential to hurt others in addition to oneself, whereas choosing to have a small vocabulary doesn't have the potential to inflict harm on others.
Um, yes. That's exactly what I said.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quinnmittens

New

Post by quinnmittens » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:28 am

rinkrat19 wrote:

...I would go there, but I'm above that shit.

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:29 am

quinnmittens wrote:
Yes, and those C's shouldn't be going to law school. Neither should people who struggle with the Law School Admission Test vocabulary.

It's a hard test, and that's a good thing. The vocabulary doesn't detract from it, it adds to it.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:29 am

quinnmittens wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

You're really not. You've been arguing from an untenable position for 2 pages now.

paradoxpredator

New

Post by paradoxpredator » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:31 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Cerebro wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I mean no disrespect, but this is a poor analogy. Texting while driving has the potential to hurt others in addition to oneself, whereas choosing to have a small vocabulary doesn't have the potential to inflict harm on others.
Um, yes. That's exactly what I said.
Whoa, it's gettin ugly up in here.

"I'm running through her SKIRT, like Frank Gore for the first"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

quinnmittens

New

Post by quinnmittens » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:39 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
quinnmittens wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

You're really not. You've been arguing from an untenable position for 2 pages now.

Not to the point where I am telling people there opinion doesn't matter and being rude. If it didn't matter you sure got engaged. All I am doing is arguing my points. Opinions are not wrong. If I believe the LSAT should use commonly used words instead of ones that are uncommon (to me) let me believe that. I may thing you are wrong in saying that they are not. It is extremely relative. Opinions are good in that It makes a person see different sides of issues. If you can't respect that, than maybe you shouldn't go to law school. Don't try and rebut and say maybe I shouldn't go to law school if I don't have an extensive vocab. It is not going to work. IN MY OPINION, you expand your vocab in law school.

alexK_

New

Post by alexK_ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:40 am

Lol'ing so hard over here. Classic.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:40 am

quinnmittens wrote:

Yea, my C's got degrees. I hadn't read a single book from high school until my LSAT, and I still never ran into a word that I didn't know.

Hastened is a word they assume everyone knows.

Look, you got tripped up with a word you randomly didn't know. It happens. But if this is a common problem your vocab is deficient (LACKING). If it was a one time thing, why are you all butthurt about it.

I got fucked a different way on my actual LSAT. They used a word that has a technical definition and a layman definition, and I stupidly went with the technical definition and read too much into the question. Shit happens, I still got dat 176.

quinnmittens

New

Post by quinnmittens » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:46 am

Desert Fox wrote:
quinnmittens wrote:

Yea, my C's got degrees. I hadn't read a single book from high school until my LSAT, and I still never ran into a word that I didn't know.

Hastened is a word they assume everyone knows.

Look, you got tripped up with a word you randomly didn't know. It happens. But if this is a common problem your vocab is deficient (LACKING). If it was a one time thing, why are you all butthurt about it.

I got fucked a different way on my actual LSAT. They used a word that has a technical definition and a layman definition, and I stupidly went with the technical definition and read too much into the question. Shit happens, I still got dat 176.
It ain't a problem like that man. You are right I did get tripped. My problem is all the assholes on here thinking their are fucking Webster and shit like they know it all. Them people know damn well they don't know definitions of some words. Bitches ain't shit!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”