Point of disagreement questions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LionelHutzJD

Silver

Point of disagreement questions

Post by LionelHutzJD » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:48 pm

I'm having trouble understanding what exactly this question stem is asking for. They come in a 2 person stimulus with MOST of the time the second speaker either disagreeing or saying the first speaker is wrong or something along those lines. But then the question stem asks " Which one of the following is a point about which Speaker 1 and Speaker 2 are committed to disagreeing?". Am I just missing something here? It seems as if only one speaker is disagreeing...how could they BOTH be disagreeing about the same subject?

Thank you

relevantfactor

Bronze

Re: Point of disagreement questions

Post by relevantfactor » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:53 pm

If one is disagreeing with the other, they both are disagreeing with each other.

A says B
C says ~B

A and C disagree, correct?

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:54 pm

Im getting tripped up when the stem asks what is the point that they are committed to disagreeing over. Is it the same as saying "What is the point of issue that speaker 2 is disagreeing with?"

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:58 pm

It's just asking for what the area of contention between the 2 is. Even though the first speaker doesn't get the chance to counter, they still have an area of contention based off his initial argument and the responder's response to it.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:01 pm

If you could look at Feb 2000 test LR section number 2. Question 26. I chose C, but the correct answer is D. To me, they both do the same thing and both answer the questions. What makes D correct?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

relevantfactor

Bronze

Post by relevantfactor » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:02 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:Im getting tripped up when the stem asks what is the point that they are committed to disagreeing over. Is it the same as saying "What is the point of issue that speaker 2 is disagreeing with?"
The way I attack this question is the following:

A says B, C, and D.
X says ~B, G, and ~F.

Which one of the following is a point about which Speaker 1 and Speaker 2 are committed to disagreeing?

A) C and D do not exist.
B) The failure to show B is good evidence against it's existence.
C) The public does not believe in D
D) The F phenomenon is real.
E) It's generally believed that G is real.

Now, we look what both A, and X have spoken about, and most of the time you will notice that it's only one choice. Such as B.

The way you phrased it is correct. Another variation is this:
On the basis of their statements, A and B are committed to disagreeing over whether:

Hope this helps.
Last edited by relevantfactor on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

relevantfactor

Bronze

Post by relevantfactor » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:04 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:If you could look at Feb 2000 test LR section number 2. Question 26. I chose C, but the correct answer is D. To me, they both do the same thing and both answer the questions. What makes D correct?
Feb 2000 wasn't disclosed, was it? You mean June? What PT#?

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:07 pm

relevantfactor wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:If you could look at Feb 2000 test LR section number 2. Question 26. I chose C, but the correct answer is D. To me, they both do the same thing and both answer the questions. What makes D correct?

its in my testmasters book so im not sure....

relevantfactor

Bronze

Post by relevantfactor » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:09 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:
relevantfactor wrote:

its in my testmasters book so im not sure....
Are you sure about the date?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:11 pm

Ok. C is wrong because it isn't the part of the argument the Primatologist takes issue with. Whether or not the monkeys have that knowledge or not is not at issue because the Responder's analogy finds fault with the reasoning behind the conclusion, not the conclusion itself.

D, on the other hand, is exactly what the Primatologist said. It states that the Anthropologist came about his conclusion on an assumption that has yet to be proven true because the conclusion could have remained consistent even if the assumption used to reach it was inaccurate.

The main take away for this question is that it doesn't have to be about the study or the others conclusion in every case. Sometimes, like in this case, the issue is with the faulty reasoning that came to the correct/incorrect conclusion.

EDIT: And yes that's the correct test and date, it's Superprep test C.
Last edited by CyanIdes Of March on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:11 pm

yup. Feb 2000 LR2

relevantfactor

Bronze

Post by relevantfactor » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:12 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
Ok. C is wrong because it isn't the part of the argument the Primatologist takes issue with. Whether or not the monkeys have that knowledge or not is not at issue because the Responder's analogy finds fault with the reasoning behind the conclusion, not the conclusion itself.

D, on the other hand, is exactly what the Primatologist said. It states that the Anthropologist came about his conclusion on an assumption that has yet to be proven true because the conclusion could have remained consistent even if the assumption used to reach it was inaccurate.

The main take away for this question is that it doesn't have to be about the study or the others conclusion in every case. Sometimes, like in this case, the issue is with the faulty reasoning that came to the correct/incorrect conclusion.

Thanks, now I see it.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:14 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:

hmmm i better get to drilling. Thanks for the help.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:55 pm

Quick way to look at disagree/agree questions:

I've got Mathilda and Tova arguing over something.

I'm going to treat this like an implication family question.

For a disagree question, I need to find an answer that Must Be True for one of the speakers (i.e. no room for doubt) and one that Must Be False for the other (same thing).

For an agree question, I need an answer that Must Be True for both speakers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”