General LSAT questions by incoming college Freshman. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
GetBucky

New

General LSAT questions by incoming college Freshman.

Post by GetBucky » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:10 am

Hey guys, this is my first post. So don't be too rough on me. :D
Alright, I know GPA is a pretty big factor on law school acceptances but I was wondering how much weight is placed on GPA vs. LSAT scores percentage-wise when applying?
Also, can you expect a growth of a certain amount of points per year on the LSAT as you can for the ACT? Or is it more based off of how much you apply yourself to learn analytical skills?
Any prep books you guys recommend? I'm finishing up with my McGraw's-Hill's Curvebreakers book, first test scored a 153 (before any prepping) and my second test I scored a 159 (with prep).

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Re: General LSAT questions by incoming college Freshman.

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:29 am

Stop studying for the LSAT until your junior or senior year. Enjoy college as much as possible and get as close to a 4.0 as humanly possible. Then come back to this hellhole and ask these questions again.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:54 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:Stop studying for the LSAT until your junior or senior year. Enjoy college as much as possible and get as close to a 4.0 as humanly possible. Then come back to this hellhole and ask these questions again.
This is the right answer.

Key take aways:

1) GPA is very important. Don't slack off and get your shit done.
2) Have fun. Seriously, college is amazing.
3) Kill your LSAT after you have a baller GPA. Extremely learnable exam. You'll have plenty of time to do well on it.
4) Profit.

tino1317

New

Post by tino1317 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:56 am

The simple fact that you are already taking prep tests as a freshman and have discovered TLS indicates you probably have everything under control. Enjoy undergrad, it only happens once. A healthy balance of working hard and having fun is key. As thelawyler said, college is amazing, have fun and dont worry too much about the lsat right now. Oh and throwing in a philosophy class like formal reasoning or logic and reasoning can give you a better understanding of certain aspects of the lsat. Those classes aren't necessary but formal logic is something that a lot of people have a hard time with.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:37 am

thelawyler wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Stop studying for the LSAT until your junior or senior year. Enjoy college as much as possible and get as close to a 4.0 as humanly possible. Then come back to this hellhole and ask these questions again.
This is the right answer.

Key take aways:

1) GPA is very important. Don't slack off and get your shit done.
2) Have fun. Seriously, college is amazing.
3) Kill your LSAT after you have a baller GPA. Extremely learnable exam. You'll have plenty of time to do well on it.
4) Profit.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:51 pm

Going to echo the things already stated. You know what you're gunning for and you have an inside track. I know a lot of wannabe law students at my UG that are floating around with 2.8 GPAs thinking their internship at Allen, Allen, Allen, and Allen is somehow going to make up for lackluster numbers. Knowing how the game works is key. Don't slack off and get that 4.0, then study your ass off for the LSAT, then enjoy HYS.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:31 pm

I agree you should probably lay off the studying for a while. There is a finite amount of material to work with and you won't be taking it for a long time. If you really want to start early, I suggest taking some of your college's logic courses as a few philosophy majors have voluntarily attributed their ease with the material to their major's curriculum.

Also, congrats on being so on the ball so early, I have an idea that you'll do very well on the test someday.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”