**** Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
westie25

Bronze

Post by westie25 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Last edited by westie25 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYCLSATTutor

Bronze

Re: Varsity Tutors???

Post by NYCLSATTutor » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:45 pm

For tutors it depends much more on whether the tutor themselves are good or bad and much less on whether the company is good or bad. I would try to find out information about the particular tutor they want you to work with as opposed to trying to find out information about the company.

westie25

Bronze

Post by westie25 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:50 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:For tutors it depends much more on whether the tutor themselves are good or bad and much less on whether the company is good or bad. I would try to find out information about the particular tutor they want you to work with as opposed to trying to find out information about the company.
When I spoke to the company, she confirmed that they really go after tutors who have the ability to teach. She said that the score matters, but the tutors are monitored for their teaching abilities before they're hired on. Now, that could've been a sales pitch, but it seemed like she was being honest. I may contact and ask if she can provide me with the tutor's success rate, and any references before I purchase. If they allow that.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:11 pm

westie25 wrote:When I spoke to the company, she confirmed that they really go after tutors who have the ability to teach. She said that the score matters, but the tutors are monitored for their teaching abilities before they're hired on. Now, that could've been a sales pitch, but it seemed like she was being honest. I may contact and ask if she can provide me with the tutor's success rate, and any references before I purchase. If they allow that.
Your best gauge for this is actually talking with the instructor. It's really, REALLY hard to gauge any of this based on success rate (which most companies won't have for tutoring students) or references (because they'll give you the people who improved, which may or may not have been because of the tutor). Best way is to get a single session, see how it goes, and then order more if you feel the tutor is solid. If the company won't let you do that, I'd be wary.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:15 pm

If you diag'd above 150, you really only need self-study + advice from suspicious android, bp shinners, et al.
That said, I've never heard of this company, and I think the best idea would be to see if you can get a free trial session, since there's really no way of knowing whether the tutor's gonna be any good. And if people tell you they "only take the highest 1% of scorers," don't get too excited. I was a terrible LSAT tutor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”