They just don't understand the importance Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mewalke1

Bronze

They just don't understand the importance

Post by mewalke1 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:13 am

A lot of people in my life (not everyone) don't get how important the LSAT. Most of my family gets it but I have friends and family who play it off as just another test. The don't understand why I stress about it and what effect the LSAT can have on your life. Just dont worry about it they'll say or just take it again if you don't like your score.

Its not just the score but everything the score means....what schools can I get into to? do I need to move? how far? Am I going to get scholarship or not. Its not just a test its like a life scheduler. Get a good score and you can kinda plan the next 3 years how you want.. the school you want to go to the debt you want to take.......but if you don't get the score you need its a mother****** crap shoot. or you can retake which means maybe taking another prep course and 4 more months of studying etc etc etc.

Its more than just a number and it sucks.

Now I know I am probably way more stressed about it than I should be and have been but has anyone else have a problem with people around them not understanding how important it is?

minnbills

Gold

Re: They just don't understand the importance

Post by minnbills » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:15 am

I remember my dad giving me a hard time because I chose to study a ton over taking a part time job. He gave me a lot of grief for "being lazy" etc etc. My scholly offer shut him up though lol

Just keep grinding dude

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:19 am

Don't stress out man. Getting stressed won't make you perform better. Keep drinking and hanging out with buddies, etc.

TheRainMan

New

Post by TheRainMan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:58 am

mewalke1 wrote:A lot of people in my life (not everyone) don't get how important the LSAT. Most of my family gets it but I have friends and family who play it off as just another test. The don't understand why I stress about it and what effect the LSAT can have on your life. Just dont worry about it they'll say or just take it again if you don't like your score.

Its not just the score but everything the score means....what schools can I get into to? do I need to move? how far? Am I going to get scholarship or not. Its not just a test its like a life scheduler. Get a good score and you can kinda plan the next 3 years how you want.. the school you want to go to the debt you want to take.......but if you don't get the score you need its a mother****** crap shoot. or you can retake which means maybe taking another prep course and 4 more months of studying etc etc etc.

Now I know I am probably way more stressed about it than I should be and have been but has anyone else have a problem with people around them not understanding how important it is?
Get into HYS then tell them all to suck a D.

Ksoria

New

Post by Ksoria » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:25 pm

THIS.

I cringe when I hear:
"You'll do fine, dont worry."

YES I WILL WORRY, this is the most important test of my life. you just dont know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BuckeyeGirl

New

Post by BuckeyeGirl » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:30 pm

My mother can be described as a "horrible person" and had NOT been supportive about LSAT/prep for apps in general. Handed her the Ivey Guide. MADE her read it.

Suddenly I don't hear anything more about it....a strategy worth considering :lol:

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:35 pm

Just explain to them that this one test is more important than four years of undergrad combined.
And let them know,
Its not just the score but everything the score means....what schools can I get into to? do I need to move? how far? Am I going to get scholarship or not. Its not just a test its like a life scheduler. Get a good score and you can kinda plan the next 3 years how you want.. the school you want to go to the debt you want to take.......but if you don't get the score you need its a mother****** crap shoot.
That should give them some perspective. If they still dont get it after that, they never will.
minnbills wrote:Just keep grinding dude

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:01 pm

BuckeyeGirl wrote:My mother can be described as a "horrible person" and had NOT been supportive about LSAT/prep for apps in general. Handed her the Ivey Guide. MADE her read it.

Suddenly I don't hear anything more about it....a strategy worth considering :lol:
.... Is she a horrible person solely because she didn't support your LSAT prep? If so, then maybe you're the horrible person.

BuckeyeGirl

New

Post by BuckeyeGirl » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:09 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:
BuckeyeGirl wrote:My mother can be described as a "horrible person" and had NOT been supportive about LSAT/prep for apps in general. Handed her the Ivey Guide. MADE her read it.

.... Is she a horrible person solely because she didn't support your LSAT prep? If so, then maybe you're the horrible person.

Haha, a valid question based on how that was phrased. No, she's a horrible person in general, I just found a decent way to manage her with the Ivey Guide in this specific instance, which is kind of shocking unto itself...so my though is that if it worked to get her to stop actively sabotaging, it's probably REALLY helpful in getting more support out of the typical family member/friend/SO!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HuskyHopeful

New

Post by HuskyHopeful » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:54 pm

The LSAT is pretty important but you have to realize that you can manage multiple priorities at the same time. For the past two weeks I have been working 40 hours a week and still studying 2-3 hours a night. Anything more then 2-5 hours a day you really will burn yourself out. No reason you cant work a job and still study.

Malakai

Bronze

Post by Malakai » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:00 am

mewalke1 wrote: Now I know I am probably way more stressed about it than I should be and have been but has anyone else have a problem with people around them not understanding how important it is?
I just get irritated when people ask me when I think i'll "pass". :|

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:17 am

HuskyHopeful wrote:The LSAT is pretty important but you have to realize that you can manage multiple priorities at the same time. For the past two weeks I have been working 40 hours a week and still studying 2-3 hours a night. Anything more then 2-5 hours a day you really will burn yourself out. No reason you cant work a job and still study.
This. I too work 40 hours a week and study for a couple hours a night. Once I hit the 2-hour mark, the ROI on my studying time begins rapidly decreasing.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:13 am

Mr.Binks wrote:

I happen to like a disproportionate number of your posts. You rock.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:15 am

Malakai wrote:
mewalke1 wrote: Now I know I am probably way more stressed about it than I should be and have been but has anyone else have a problem with people around them not understanding how important it is?
Silly lay people

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:04 am

Nova wrote:
Malakai wrote:
Silly lay people
Well, to be fair, I'm sure we all have a number below which we would consider ourselves to have "failed" the thing.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:22 am

shinton88 wrote:
Nova wrote:
Malakai wrote:
Silly lay people
Well, to be fair, I'm sure we all have a number below which we would consider ourselves to have "failed" the thing.
To be really fair, no one should expect someone to know the specifics about a test they are not taking and have not looked up.

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:09 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
Mr.Binks wrote:

I happen to like a disproportionate number of your posts. You rock.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:23 pm

minnbills wrote:I remember my dad giving me a hard time because I chose to study a ton over taking a part time job. He gave me a lot of grief for "being lazy" etc etc. My scholly offer shut him up though lol

Just keep grinding dude
I had to deal with this too...was frustrating beyond belief.

Honey_Badger

Bronze

Post by Honey_Badger » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Yep. My favorite was, "You're super smart! I'm sure you'll pass!"
Just smile through clenched teeth, say thanks and move on to some ass-kicking. Once you have the $$$ from your score, THEN you can explain it more (if needed).

Honey_Badger

Bronze

Post by Honey_Badger » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:31 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Honey_Badger wrote:
Yep. My favorite was, "You're super smart! I'm sure you'll pass!"
Just smile through clenched teeth, say thanks and move on to some ass-kicking. Once you have the $$$ from your score, THEN you can explain it more (if needed).
Then if they are anything like my mother you will get a "See I told you you'd do fine, you were just being a drama queen"

Then the killing starts. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO HAVE YOUR MOTHER CALL YOU A DRAMA QUEEN AS A GROWN ASS MAN?
Sorry, but I lol'd...I'm not a grown-ass man, but I can empathize....

psm11

Bronze

Post by psm11 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:58 pm

minnbills wrote:I remember my dad giving me a hard time because I chose to study a ton over taking a part time job. He gave me a lot of grief for "being lazy" etc etc. My scholly offer shut him up though lol

Just keep grinding dude
haha i got the same thing. my parents would yell at me and say i spent all summer just laying around the house.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:02 am

TheRainMan wrote:
mewalke1 wrote:A lot of people in my life (not everyone) don't get how important the LSAT. Most of my family gets it but I have friends and family who play it off as just another test. The don't understand why I stress about it and what effect the LSAT can have on your life. Just dont worry about it they'll say or just take it again if you don't like your score.

Get into HYS then tell them all to suck a D.
Haha yea its not like they are trying to be jerks about it. they just don't understand the importance

Yea it seems you guys know what Im talking about.

I also hate the casual and small talk about the LSAT. Don't just ask me about cause you want to make small talk because I have a lot to say. And when you get me started about the LSAT I can talk for quite a while. If you actually care or a re interested Ill talk to you about ti otherwise don't ask.

powder

Silver

Post by powder » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:49 am

Wormfather wrote:Then if they are anything like my mother you will get a "See I told you you'd do fine, you were just being a drama queen"

Then the killing starts. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO HAVE YOUR MOTHER CALL YOU A DRAMA QUEEN AS A GROWN ASS MAN?
I know your pain. I sometimes have to remind Mom not to introduce me as her baby boy. Yes Mom, I'm your youngest child, I'm the baby in the family, but...can't you see it's a little embarrassing for you to introduce me like that?

OP, I know exactly what you mean. My parents are being very supportive, but I can tell they don't exactly understand what's going on. My Dad is friends with a couple of local lawyers and knows a few people whose children are also going to law school. My behavior is held up against their opinions and Dad thinks I'm going neurotic over passing a test. "[insert friend's name]'s son/daughter passed this test and you're just as smart as he/she is."

These people all went to third-tier schools and, from what I've heard, none of them studied for the LSAT intensively. So Dad has to explain to his friends why his youngest son is acting like a bum with an excuse that doesn't make sense to him or to them.

Overall though, it's a minor annoyance. Even if they don't understand completely, they're still tolerating my jobless status and allowing me to completely abdicate my normal responsibilities so I can study.

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:01 am

if they have a problem with you studying for a test for a few months they are going to have a serious problem with you preparing for trial for a couple of months/ years general other lawyer stuff that doesn't take a social/ family life into consideration

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”