GMAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Excellent117

Bronze

GMAT

Post by Excellent117 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:43 pm

I plan on applying for my JD/MBA combo degree during my 1L. I know this is TLS, but does anyone have any recommendations for the best GMAT prep resources?

LSAT Blog

Silver

Re: GMAT

Post by LSAT Blog » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:55 pm

http://www.gmatclub.com
http://www.beatthegmat.com

GMAT Critical Reasoning will be a piece of cake after LSAT Logical Reasoning.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:10 am

took GMAT last week. got a 720. used only

1) this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-GM ... 876&sr=8-1

2) the 6 (or 7) manhattan simulated practice tests on their website for $40

studied approx 2 weeks. joke compared to LSAT. make sure to read the section on "how to best guess" and other practical tips.

Excellent117

Bronze

Post by Excellent117 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:45 pm

Is there a difference in the 12th and 13th (just released) editions of the Official guide? And thanks for your responses.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:16 pm

The GMAT is a joke compared to the LSAT. If you can score well on the LSAT, the GMAT will be a minor task you can do anytime you want since it's administered on a computer and you just have to make an appointment to take it when you are ready.

However, bring a sweatshirt, sweater or hoodie. The test facilities that administer it have all the computers in a super frozen air conditioned room. It took me a few hours to thaw out after I took a GMAT for fun while I was in law school. Literally, I felt frozen for about 3 hours after because they placed me at the computer right below the AC output vent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

magicman554

Bronze

Post by magicman554 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:31 pm

The GMAT is not a joke compared to the LSAT. You're still taking a test that is scored relative to other test-takers. It also tests aptitude of somewhat different skills, and knowledge of some different material.

The ability to take it virtually anytime you want is a definite plus and should ease the nerves. But students uncomfortable with math need to take the test seriously, even if they did great on the LSAT. But I agree that the rest of the test is just like LR and RC.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:58 am

Ok, it is a test with some difficult questions. However, in comparison to the LSAT, the GMAT is a much easier test to score well/near perfect on with some preparation, unlike the LSAT where only one percent of test takers ever score 172 or above no matter how much they prepare and practice.

The LR and RC on the GMAT is childs play in comparison to LSAT LR and RC questions. The GMAT LR questions are substantially less difficult than LSAT LR questions. The only exception to that are the flawed ones the GMAT people haven't removed from the item pool.

The math part is what does make the GMAT hard for many people. Yeah, math can suck since it is boring to study and tedious to practice for most people. I actually like math, didn't like many of the classes while in HS and UG though because they made me do a bunch of time wasting homework practice problems and wanted me to 'show my work' even when I had the answers correct, I hated that. I'd get the concepts, work some problems, yeah, got it, cool, I'm gonna move along and then teacher would assign 50-100 more that had be to turned in for a grade and you had to show your work.

Math classes can be some of the most boring and tedious classes unless you get a rare teacher that makes it interesting and entertaining.

However, as frustrating as math classes and study can be, the math tested on the GMAT is high school level mathematics! Some geometry, some algebra, throw in the Pythagorean theorem, solve for x, work some fractions, etc. and you're good to go. You just need to refresh what you forgot or maybe never really learned in grade school and high school math classes, and you don't have to show your work!, just select an answer.

doclover

New

Post by doclover » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:21 pm

Jeffort wrote:Ok, it is a test with some difficult questions. However, in comparison to the LSAT, the GMAT is a much easier test to score well/near perfect on with some preparation, unlike the LSAT where only one percent of test takers ever score 172 or above no matter how much they prepare and practice.

The LR and RC on the GMAT is childs play in comparison to LSAT LR and RC questions. The GMAT LR questions are substantially less difficult than LSAT LR questions. The only exception to that are the flawed ones the GMAT people haven't removed from the item pool.

The math part is what does make the GMAT hard for many people. Yeah, math can suck since it is boring to study and tedious to practice for most people. I actually like math, didn't like many of the classes while in HS and UG though because they made me do a bunch of time wasting homework practice problems and wanted me to 'show my work' even when I had the answers correct, I hated that. I'd get the concepts, work some problems, yeah, got it, cool, I'm gonna move along and then teacher would assign 50-100 more that had be to turned in for a grade and you had to show your work.

Math classes can be some of the most boring and tedious classes unless you get a rare teacher that makes it interesting and entertaining.

However, as frustrating as math classes and study can be, the math tested on the GMAT is high school level mathematics! Some geometry, some algebra, throw in the Pythagorean theorem, solve for x, work some fractions, etc. and you're good to go. You just need to refresh what you forgot or maybe never really learned in grade school and high school math classes, and you don't have to show your work!, just select an answer.
Only one percent? I thought it was more like 2-3%, no?

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:25 pm

172 is 99th percentile so obviously not.
doclover wrote:
Jeffort wrote:Ok, it is a test with some difficult questions. However, in comparison to the LSAT, the GMAT is a much easier test to score well/near perfect on with some preparation, unlike the LSAT where only one percent of test takers ever score 172 or above no matter how much they prepare and practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Trips

New

Post by Trips » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:54 pm

Here is a related question.

WHen is the normal time to take the GMAT? The summer before you senior year?

I'm kind of interested in a joint degree program, but studying for two tests and about the same time is too much work (I'm absolutely terrible at math, so I assume I'd have to put some time in for the GMAT).

doclover

New

Post by doclover » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:56 pm

t14fanboy wrote:172 is 99th percentile so obviously not.
doclover wrote:

I'm looking at a chart that says it's 98.6% (obviously rounded up that is 99%). I think I was unconsciously rounding down to make it seem more attainable...

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:36 pm

Trips wrote:WHen is the normal time to take the GMAT? The summer before you senior year?

I'm kind of interested in a joint degree program, but studying for two tests and about the same time is too much work (I'm absolutely terrible at math, so I assume I'd have to put some time in for the GMAT).
You take the GMAT in a similar timeframe as when you take the LSAT. If you're planning to go straight through (somewhat unusual for an MBA) and if you're graduating in, say, 2014, you'd most likely take the GMAT in the 2013 calendar year.

You don't have to study for the GMAT and the LSAT at the same time, however. If you'll need to study for the math, I'd recommend doing the LSAT first (on the timeline above, in June 2013), and then taking the GMAT a couple months later. But on the one hand, both scores are good for several years, so you can do one well in advance of when you apply and the other nearer to your app, and on the other, you can usually apply to do a JD/MBA even during your 1L year, so you could potentially take the GMAT all the way up to the summer right before you start law school.

I applied to an MPP program during 1L year. It was a little stressful, but it worked out fine (i.e. I got in).

Mchele2468

New

Post by Mchele2468 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:09 pm

Can any students share their experiences with studying for the GMAT and LSAT simultaneously? I have been studying for the GMAT for the last couple weeks and will be taking it on April 30th. I am also starting an LSAT course tomorrow to prepare for the June LSAT. If you have any tips for me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yesman2380

New

Post by yesman2380 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Mchele2468 wrote:Can any students share their experiences with studying for the GMAT and LSAT simultaneously? I have been studying for the GMAT for the last couple weeks and will be taking it on April 30th. I am also starting an LSAT course tomorrow to prepare for the June LSAT. If you have any tips for me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
I would recommend studying and taking the LSAT first. I know that the GMAT is changing formats soon so that might be a consideration for otherwise. But I started studying for the GMAT, then decided to try the LSAT. After studying and taking the LSAT, I realized that my CR and RC (and even to some extent DS) in the GMAT improved a ton.

As many would point out here, the LSAT is more difficult. I found that to be true as well. PM me if you want specific help.

QuasiAmbitious

New

Post by QuasiAmbitious » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:56 pm

Relevant to me.

AbhiJ

New

Post by AbhiJ » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Jeffort wrote:

So since when Maths became a boring subject ? So why do great minds of the century spend their lives over Maths and Physics problems ?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”