LG FML Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
BalanceCare

Bronze

LG FML

Post by BalanceCare » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:55 am

Hi.

I've taken the LSAT 3 times and am considering a retake (it's been 2 years). Top score is 170. I do great on LR and RC but simply have not been able to master LG. It takes me too long to do the games. I end up going -9 or 10 on LG which ruins my -1 or 2 on LR and RC.

I'm already familiar with many of the games from PTs 1-60, so I'm concerned that practicing those games won't be that useful. I'm considering playing sudoku and using the Manhattan LSAT "Logic Challenge" games to get back into the swing of it before retackling the later prep tests.

Basically, given my situation, I'd appreciate any advice you have about trying to study for a retake.

Thanks!

specialsnowflake

New

Re: LG FML

Post by specialsnowflake » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:02 am

BalanceCare wrote:Hi.

I've taken the LSAT 3 times and am considering a retake (it's been 2 years). Top score is 170. I do great on LR and RC but simply have not been able to master LG. It takes me too long to do the games. I end up going -9 or 10 on LG which ruins my -1 or 2 on LR and RC.

I'm already familiar with many of the games from PTs 1-60, so I'm concerned that practicing those games won't be that useful. I'm considering playing sudoku and using the Manhattan LSAT "Logic Challenge" games to get back into the swing of it before retackling the later prep tests.

Basically, given my situation, I'd appreciate any advice you have about trying to study for a retake.

Thanks!
Velocity's approach to LG may be what puts you over the hump. Their method really is fool proof and doesn't really require you to spend tons of time looking for inferences. I'd check into it if I were you. It got me down to 0/-1 per test and I went -1 on last October's test

BalanceCare

Bronze

Post by BalanceCare » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:21 am

specialsnowflake wrote:
Velocity's approach to LG may be what puts you over the hump. Their method really is fool proof and doesn't really require you to spend tons of time looking for inferences. I'd check into it if I were you. It got me down to 0/-1 per test and I went -1 on last October's test

Has anyone tried their LG only class?

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 pm

specialsnowflake wrote:
BalanceCare wrote:Hi.

Thanks!

I can second this. I haven't had my retake yet, but Velocity's LG methods have clicked for me, when others simply did not. Check out the free videos over on their website, it's a very mechanical approach, and doesn't require you to take make many inferences. I personally love it, but obviously other methods have worked great for some people.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:44 am

Does Velocity have a book? Quick google search didn't turn up anything. I've gone through powerscore and their stuff is really good but I'm in the exact same situation as the OP. I want to try something different for the June LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:49 am

tfleming09 wrote:Does Velocity have a book? Quick google search didn't turn up anything. I've gone through powerscore and their stuff is really good but I'm in the exact same situation as the OP. I want to try something different for the June LSAT.

Just the class materials I believe. Most of the content is through the videos, and the books are the companion to them. They wouldn't be of no use without the videos I guess, but I don't think they can be purchased separately.

BRB returning some video tapes.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:56 am

emarxnj wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:Does Velocity have a book? Quick google search didn't turn up anything. I've gone through powerscore and their stuff is really good but I'm in the exact same situation as the OP. I want to try something different for the June LSAT.

Just the class materials I believe. Most of the content is through the videos, and the books are the companion to them. They wouldn't be of no use without the videos I guess, but I don't think they can be purchased separately.

Thanks. How much is the video class?

The stains are cranberry juice.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:12 am

tfleming09 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

Thanks. How much is the video class?

The stains are cranberry juice.

I'm doing the comprehensive one which was $800 if I recall correctly. It's cheaper than most classes I believe, but obviously it's still not dirt cheap. I think theirs an all digital version now that costs less, but I don't know the specifics. I'd check out the Velocity page, and some of the free videos to see if its up your alley.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:17 am

emarxnj wrote:
I'm doing the comprehensive one which was $800 if I recall correctly. It's cheaper than most classes I believe, but obviously it's still not dirt cheap. I think theirs an all digital version now that costs less, but I don't know the specifics. I'd check out the Velocity page, and some of the free videos to see if its up your alley.
Good fuck. I've already gone through a prep class so I don't know if I can justify that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:42 am

Don't be short-sighted. The potential change in scholarship money/career arc from a 5+ point LSAT boost is in the five-to-seven-figure range. There's a reason it's called a cost/benefit analysis.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:50 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
Good fuck. I've already gone through a prep class so I don't know if I can justify that.
bgdddymtty wrote:Don't be short-sighted. The potential change in scholarship money/career arc from a 5+ point LSAT boost is in the five-to-seven-figure range. There's a reason it's called a cost/benefit analysis.
+1

If you think you stand to benefit from the class, it could be easily justified (feasible economically may be a different case all together). I know that it is cheaper than many other classes, and reviews are overwhelmingly positive. What other class did you take?

I know I'm really cheerleading for Velocity here, but I'm loving it (ba da bum bum ba).

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:06 pm

emarxnj wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:Don't be short-sighted. The potential change in scholarship money/career arc from a 5+ point LSAT boost is in the five-to-seven-figure range. There's a reason it's called a cost/benefit analysis.
+1

If you think you stand to benefit from the class, it could be easily justified (feasible economically may be a different case all together). I know that it is cheaper than many other classes, and reviews are overwhelmingly positive. What other class did you take?

I know I'm really cheerleading for Velocity here, but I'm loving it (ba da bum bum ba).
I went through PowerScore. Their stuff is really good, but there seems to be a lot of focus on inferences and stuff when the modern games require more of a brute force method.

The section is really frustrating to me. I can get -1 or -10 depending on the LG section.

To be fair, I honestly didn't study as hard as I could have at the time. So there's that.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:22 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
+1

I went through PowerScore. Their stuff is really good, but there seems to be a lot of focus on inferences and stuff when the modern games require more of a brute force method.

The section is really frustrating to me. I can get -1 or -10 depending on the LG section.

To be fair, I honestly didn't study as hard as I could have at the time. So there's that.
Making major inferences in games was NOT clicking for me in any games beyond the easiest ones. Velocity's doesn't rely on them, just an organized method of attack.

From what I hear, Powerscore is an excellent class though. Just depends what works for you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pizzabrosauce

New

Post by pizzabrosauce » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:12 pm

emarxnj wrote: Making major inferences in games was NOT clicking for me in any games beyond the easiest ones. Velocity's doesn't rely on them, just an organized method of attack.
I feel like this isn't a coincidence. LGB is ubiquitous with LSAT prep and the recent crop of games (late 50's+) have been difficult to crack on inference alone. (LSAC adapting to the test prep industry?)

After learning about hypocentric approaches, I would never go back to having that big main-diagram and waiting for an "ah-ha" moment to save the day.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:49 am

pizzabrosauce wrote:
emarxnj wrote: Making major inferences in games was NOT clicking for me in any games beyond the easiest ones. Velocity's doesn't rely on them, just an organized method of attack.
I feel like this isn't a coincidence. LGB is ubiquitous with LSAT prep and the recent crop of games (late 50's+) have been difficult to crack on inference alone. (LSAC adapting to the test prep industry?)

After learning about hypocentric approaches, I would never go back to having that big main-diagram and waiting for an "ah-ha" moment to save the day.

Interesting, I didn't know it was a trend. I haven't cracked into the most recent games yet, so I'm glad to hear I should be well-prepared (should being the operative term). The approach has been better for me personally just because the reliance on finding some major inference to break the game or find a few frames would drive me crazy. Half the time I'd waste precious minutes searching for an inference that wasn't there, or creating frames that weren't worth the time they took to draw.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”