Blueprint The Movie vs. Velocity Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TheColonel

New

Blueprint The Movie vs. Velocity

Post by TheColonel » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:57 pm

Hello all, I've been lurking around the site for the past month or so and decided to open an account finally.

I am gearing up to start studying for the June LSAT and was hoping to get input on the best online class to hopefully get me past a 170. I have narrowed it down to Blueprint and Velocity, but can't seem to pick one. I saw this thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=174131 which seemed to be short on specifics. After looking at some of their sample videos, blueprint seems to be the more polished option but I'm not sure whether the animations they use would be more of an annoying distraction or actually useful. Blueprint seems to have the edge also when it comes to online resources as they have a direct email support system with instructors as well as a database of explanations for exam questions. Velocity has blueprint beat on price (600 v 799) and from the videos I've watched, Dave Hall does seem to be a solid instructor. I can't decide if Dave's somewhat unorthodox (or at least thats the impression I have) methods are a plus or a minus, but the feedback from this site has been overwhelmingly positive.

Does anyone have any other insight into these two companies? I am particularly interested in the quality of written material they provide, as information on that is a bit lacking on there websites. Also, Blueprint says that you have access for two test administrations but would that mean I only have February and June if I purchased now?

bp shinners

Gold

Re: Blueprint The Movie vs. Velocity

Post by bp shinners » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:29 pm

If you sign up for our video course, you'll get an entire set of books, just as you would for the class. They have the entire BP curriculum, almost every question ever released (with the rest provided through your online account), and a ton of practice tests and other materials. We're about to print up our new books (end of this month-ish), and our curriculum is changing quite a bit, but you can expect the things I just listed to stay the same. (For example, changes include more practice tests and review lessons targeted at specific sections).

As far as the administrations go, yes, you'll have access through the next two examinations, which is about 6 months worth of access. You can also extend that for a small fee (to cover the licensing expense).

I'll leave whether or not the animations are a distraction to others.

glucose101

Bronze

Post by glucose101 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:05 pm

At the end of the day, it's all about methods. Figure out which method you like best.

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:07 pm

Dave is a bit unorthodox, but he definitely is pretty great at what he does. Check out the free stuff on YouTube and his rundown of June 2007 on Velocity's website to see whether you like his methods or not.

TheColonel

New

Post by TheColonel » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:49 pm

bp shinners wrote: We're about to print up our new books (end of this month-ish), and our curriculum is changing quite a bit, but you can expect the things I just listed to stay the same. (For example, changes include more practice tests and review lessons targeted at specific sections).
Thanks for the information. Do you think it would be worthwhile to wait to sign up for a month for the new materials or are the changes not enough to merit the lost study time?

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:38 pm

TheColonel wrote:
bp shinners wrote: We're about to print up our new books (end of this month-ish), and our curriculum is changing quite a bit, but you can expect the things I just listed to stay the same. (For example, changes include more practice tests and review lessons targeted at specific sections).
Thanks for the information. Do you think it would be worthwhile to wait to sign up for a month for the new materials or are the changes not enough to merit the lost study time?
We've actually closed down enrollment in the video course until around Jan. 16th, which is when the new books will be printed. We're completely out of the old books, so you can only possibly get the new books from this point on.

As far as the lost time goes, if you're prepping for Summer or Fall LSATs, a week in January won't matter much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”