151 LSAT and I'm not quitting Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
happyshapy

Bronze

Re: 151 LSAT and I'm not quitting

Post by happyshapy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:18 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Hello,
No I haven't done all 62 exams. I'm noticing a significant difference between the earlier ones and the later ones. When I took the first Supertest one earlier this week I scored a 167, but when I took the Preptest 52 today, I scored a 163. These were untimed, by the way. I'm going to start timing myself next week +10 minutes and then working my way down.

Given my time constraints, I'm going to focus on the most recent tests first and work my way backwards after that. Logic Reasoning sections seem to have changed the most since the 1990s.
Interesting. I would say LR has changed the least. LG and RC have changed a lot in my opinion.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:46 pm

I've found the LR sections to be much, much more nitpicky than they used to be. I haven't really noticed LGs to have changed that much. I agree about RC, though. How have the LGs changed?

happyshapy

Bronze

Post by happyshapy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:I've found the LR sections to be much, much more nitpicky than they used to be. I haven't really noticed LGs to have changed that much. I agree about RC, though. How have the LGs changed?
Well for one thing you won't really see any mapping, circular, or pattern games on the new tests. Although this might be changing soon. These game types have been showing up in experimental sections recently.

Early games used to be harder, more based on one key inference that's harder to find and unlocks the game.

New games, since about 54 onward have become more hybrid. It's become harder to rely as much on game type in the most recent exams. For example in/out grouping games usually had rules that you could connect into one long inference chain. Now in/out grouping games have more complicated rules such as "a or b but not both" and are much harder to fit into a neat line.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:05 pm

Now that you mention it, that's true. I felt that the LR is still much more difficult now than it was. The squid is denser, and you have to read much more carefully than before. Sometimes when I go back to the older tests I triple check things because I'm sitting there wondering whether it's really that easy or not. I had one question that talked about pasteurization and how it was a really quick process, and the very next sentence talked about intense pasteurization.

I got the two confused and flubbed the problem :oops:

(Preptest 52, Section 1 Problem 24)

happyshapy

Bronze

Post by happyshapy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:03 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Now that you mention it, that's true. I felt that the LR is still much more difficult now than it was. The squid is denser, and you have to read much more carefully than before. Sometimes when I go back to the older tests I triple check things because I'm sitting there wondering whether it's really that easy or not. I had one question that talked about pasteurization and how it was a really quick process, and the very next sentence talked about intense pasteurization.

I got the two confused and flubbed the problem :oops:

(Preptest 52, Section 1 Problem 24)
LR in recent tests have become more subtle I've noticed. This is especially true on PT 64, the most recent october exam. Many answer choices look right but are wrong because of one small, easily missed word. If you're having trouble seeing these it might help to cross out the word in each answer choice that makes it wrong.

A really good example of this is in 64, section 3, question 20. It's a principal question where all the answer choices look very similar. The stimulus basically says this: "you shouldn't play a practical joke if it shows contempt for the person you played it on, or if you believe it might cause harm to that person." The answer is hard to find if you're not keeping track of the very specific words used in the stimulus. One wrong answer says "someone was harmed as the result of my joke, so I should not have played it". The stimulus doesn't say this, it says that if you believe it might cause harm then you should not play the joke.

This strategy worked really well for me in practice tests, where I usually go -2 to -4 on a section. I let it go during the actual test and mis-read a lot of LR questions because of it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks for the advice, it's been helping. I took another test today and scored a 165. I've started timing myself. Now I just have to take sections consecutively instead of one at a time with breaks in between. I'm excited!!!

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:15 pm

Hey, update time. I have been practicing regularly, and am scoring a 163-164 on the preptests I am taking. I am currently on 58, so they're recent. The 163-164 is a constant score. My question is this:

With two weeks to improve, should I attempt to improve or should I simply continue to take timed trials and work with that score?

(My target school's 75 percentile is 160, by the way. I want scholarships.)

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:19 pm

156>169

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:27 pm

charliep wrote:156>169
In golf, maybe? I'm confused.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chesterfan1230

Bronze

Post by chesterfan1230 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:54 pm

Retake.

Started out cold with a 148. First attempt: 155
Now i'm PT'ng in between 168-172. Don't give up.

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:02 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
charliep wrote:156>169
In golf, maybe? I'm confused.
sorry, i meant for the ">" to function as a "then"

yipeng024

New

Post by yipeng024 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:51 am

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:36 pm

Have you considered giving the Manhattan LSAT books a try, if Powerscore didn't work that well for you?

The books are very good, both of them, but in totally different styles. Perhaps Manhattan will appeal more to you and help you improve...

:)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:11 pm

Hey Dorklord,
That's simply not feasible right now. I'm scoring respectable scores about a week before my December LSAT. Even if I got rush shipping, completely changing methods one week before is probably the worst thing I could do right now. I was just curious as to whether I should drill more or take preptests more at this point in time.

xChiTowNx

Bronze

Post by xChiTowNx » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:21 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Hey Dorklord,
That's simply not feasible right now. I'm scoring respectable scores about a week before my December LSAT. Even if I got rush shipping, completely changing methods one week before is probably the worst thing I could do right now. I was just curious as to whether I should drill more or take preptests more at this point in time.
I would second this - I think I need more practicing just keeping my shit together and not freaking out if games are taking too long or I'm not getting something right away on the test. Keeping control of my nerves has been very helpful!

Good luck to you man!

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:13 pm

Still constant 164s into the 60 PTs. I'm going to do up to PT 61, than switch over to the last two LSATs I took and that'll be my final preparation. Test next saturday. I'm excited. I can't wait to get this over with.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:14 pm

congrats on all of your progress, i have a thread just like this. i started off low and worked my way up. So hows pting going? Are you timing yourself at 35 minutes yet? What are you doing for exp sections?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:21 pm

Hey Matt, your thread was the inspiration for this one, actually. It's kept me honest and working hard. I tend to be lazy if I'm allowed to be.

I've been timing myself at 35 minutes, and I've been doing 5-section tests every few days. I just do an extra section as the experimental one. The local university has a library with a quiet study area upstairs, so I just go up there (and sometimes have to browbeat someone into being quiet.) I figure that I won't know which section is experimental, so I might as well treat them like a normal section.

I've been drilling logic games today because of some threads I read about how they've shifted. It was very helpful.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Got a 163 on the PT 60. That thing is a bastard.

I retook my June 2011 LSAT today, and scored a 168 this time. Last time I scored a 157. I'm proud of this. I'm slightly concerned that it's because I addressed all of the mistakes I made in that one, but then again, is that really a bad thing? The high score is nice to parade around, at least. Study plan for this last week is as follows:

Sunday: June 2011 LSAT
Monday: Review of mistakes and drill question type
Tuesday: Preptest 61
Wednesday: review of mistakes and drill question type.
Thursday: October 2011 LSAT
Friday: Relax.
Saturday: LSAT.

I think that covers everything.

SwampRat88

Bronze

Post by SwampRat88 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:43 pm

Last edited by SwampRat88 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kickthebcket

New

Post by kickthebcket » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:48 pm

I got a 150 in Sept. '09, tried the studying thing and got a 157 in Dec. '09... still unsatisfied, I took an accelerated Kaplan course and to my great disappointment, got a 156 in Dec. '10. At least I got my money back. Two weeks ago, I couldn't sleep and decided to sign up for Dec. '11. Just took a practice test last Thursday and got a 162. I WILL get 160+ on Saturday. You're not quitting, I'm not quitting...nobody should ever quit. Good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Thanks, kickthebucket. You're absolutely right.

Swamprat, you might have had an impact last year. It's too late now to change my convictions. I have moved halfway across the country to establish residency and live with my girlfriend. I will not alter course at this point.

SwampRat88

Bronze

Post by SwampRat88 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Thanks, kickthebucket. You're absolutely right.

Swamprat, you might have had an impact last year. It's too late now to change my convictions. I have moved halfway across the country to establish residency and live with my girlfriend. I will not alter course at this point.
Well, at least you're establishing residency. If you can get a scholly at an in-state school on top of that, you will probably be just fine.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:32 pm

SwampRat88 wrote: Well, at least you're establishing residency. If you can get a scholly at an in-state school on top of that, you will probably be just fine.
That's exactly what I'm doing. The median at my school is 157. I'm trying to get a 160+ and wheedle money out of em. If I'm going to do a risky career move, it might as well be a well-considered risky career move. :)

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:28 pm

Just retook the October LSAT as my final PT. I scored a 166. I scored a 165 on the June one, and a 163 on the final practice test.

I feel ready for this Saturday. I've come a long way since I posted this thread when I got my results. I feel confident that I will achieve my goals and kick ass!

I hope that everyone who's reading this does well on this LSAT as well. Study hard, be honest with yourself, and you will do well. This site has really motivated me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”