The October talk made me do the Dinosaur game... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
180asBreath

Bronze

Re: The October talk made me do the Dinosaur game...

Post by 180asBreath » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:02 pm

tedler wrote:
2. I cited his high post rate, tacitly implying that he must make a ton of Twitter-esque posts so he should shut his mouth; I was not making a logical point, I was explaining that he shouldn't be hypocritical - judging a 2 post-a-day poster when his post rate is ridiculously high.
It's entirely possible that you post two Twitter-esque posts a day, whereas every one of his daily >17 posts is constructive and helpful. As such, a mere comparison of posting frequency isn't sufficient for the implication you were going for.

Anyway, the TL;DR version for those who didn't read every single post: BREAKING NEWS--DIFFERENT PEOPLE FIND DIFFERENT GAMES TO BE EASY/HARD
Indeed.

Obelisk18

New

Post by Obelisk18 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Mitterrand wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:I came across the Dino game in PT's without even realizing it. I completed it faster than any other LG I have ever encountered / got a -0. The 3rd LG on Oct. 2011 test KILLED me though

Idk, I guess different people find different games difficult
Same. Our last testmasters diagnostic included the dinosaur game and i finished that section with 5 minuts and went -0. But i had trouble with the October games, i didn't even finish.
Yeah, Dinosaurs, Stained Glasses, and Balls were all surprisingly easy for me but yet I get tripped up by the stupidest games. Ended up guessing on almost completely on 3 of the questions on that 3rd LG. Luckily, I'm used to getting logic games which give me problems and I've learned to skip them and move on so, unlike some, I managed to finish the relatively easy 4th game and then had a little time to go back to the 3rd game. Didn't help but I felt better knowing that I'd probably, even with my breakdown, only gone -4 or -5 on the section.
Last edited by Obelisk18 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Obelisk18

New

Post by Obelisk18 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:32 pm

vodkashot wrote:Yeah, dinos could be cracked open fairly easily if you made a couple of deductions.

I would say snakes/lizards and Zephyr airlines were much more difficult. And maybe the music store's new and used CDs (though I may hate that one for mostly personal reasons).
Snakes and lizards just left me in shock. Ditto for the new/used CDS (and I generally LOVE In/Out games because Manhattan makes them so simple). The only other genuinely ugly game, which left me baffled even on a second pass, was in Prep Test C. Not a great fan of circular games either but they're fairly learnable.

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:39 pm

f7u12 wrote:
180asBreath wrote:All of the talk, about how the LG threw people off, was making me anxious. To feel better, I decided to do the Dinosaur game. I have never successfully completed it; I've attempted it a couple of times in the past, only to abandon it after a few minutes of confusion.

Well, I scored a -0 in 15 minutes (the timing was completely unacceptable, I know); I just needed to feel like there is no game that is outside of my grasp. I actually had a nightmare, last night, that I took the LSAT and all 4 games were the hardest games I had ever seen - and I didn't know where to begin.

*shudders*
No game you've seen several times before is outside your grasp. Bravo.
Yeah, bro! All that meta-gaming came in handy! I wasn't making inferences, checking hypos, or anything! I just went by feel, B then C then D then A... It was a breeze ;)

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:50 pm

aschup wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:TLS continues its proud tradition of STARTING STUPID PISSING MATCHES OVER FUCK ALL.
Fix'd.
I judged this thread to have no merit and therefore believed I was justified in using it for my own purposes (which mostly involve being pissy).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3v3ryth1ng

Bronze

Post by 3v3ryth1ng » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:54 pm

I didn't have a problem with dinosaurs, snakes/lizards, stained glass, bicycles, or many of the other supposed "hard" games. I did most of them before I even heard about their reputations, and for some reason these games are up my alley. I'm not a LG whiz by any stretch.

There was one old game about golf/tennis that I remember being baffled by though. Zephyr Airlines was also supposed to be hard, and it was. Then this one about switches and circuit loads too. I had THAT one back when I took a previous LSAT with no studying. I think that game scares me just because of how clueless I was to solve it the first time I saw it.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:54 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
aschup wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:TLS continues its proud tradition of STARTING STUPID PISSING MATCHES OVER FUCK ALL.
Fix'd.
I judged this thread to have no merit and therefore believed I was justified in using it for my own purposes (which mostly involve being pissy).
Fair.

ColumbiaChamp

Bronze

Post by ColumbiaChamp » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:09 pm

_ _ S _ _
m m r
(l,t) --> (i,p,u/v)
(l,v) --> (i,p,t)
(l,u) --> (i,p,l)
(t,v) --> (i,p,l)

If you use this setup, the game becomes super easy can be solved in under 4 minutes. On the left side, for the two mauves, the only possible options are [l,t], [l,v], [l,u], [t,v]. For each pair, there are only 3 possible options that result for the two spots (irrespective of colors). Enjoy...

Obelisk18

New

Post by Obelisk18 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:09 pm

ColumbiaChamp wrote:_ _ S _ _
m m r
(l,t) --> (i,p,u/v)
(l,v) --> (i,p,t)
(l,u) --> (i,p,l)
(t,v) --> (i,p,l)

If you use this setup, the game becomes super easy can be solved in under 4 minutes. On the left side, for the two mauves, the only possible options are [l,t], [l,v], [l,u], [t,v]. For each pair, there are only 3 possible options that result for the two spots (irrespective of colors). Enjoy...
I don't think the mauve dinosaur game really needs any set-up. Once you make the big deduction, it's pretty much a completely mental game. Which is why, maybe, lots of people find it difficult. Because it's hard to figure what exactly you should be writing down. I found it easy because I frequently come across games which I can't easily diagram and end up having to work it all out in my head. This was a game where that actually works (it's usually a major fail).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:07 pm

games that are long, just do all the local "If questions" then strike every answer from a "cannot be true" that you have already proved to be true from a hypothetical.

strategies like that are why I'm going to get -0 on october's LG. true story.

dynh

New

Post by dynh » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:53 pm

lakers3peat wrote:do all the local "If questions" then strike every answer from a "cannot be true" that you have already proved to be true from a hypothetical.

Exactly! The games were particularly easy with this method on the exam. The hardest question for me was the one in the 2nd (3rd?) game, the last question prompting you to find a replacement rule. That question took me a few minutes to ensure I'd chosen the right one, but otherwise the games were a cinch.

SplitLife

Bronze

Post by SplitLife » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:42 am

tedler wrote:
2. I cited his high post rate, tacitly implying that he must make a ton of Twitter-esque posts so he should shut his mouth; I was not making a logical point, I was explaining that he shouldn't be hypocritical - judging a 2 post-a-day poster when his post rate is ridiculously high.
It's entirely possible that you post two Twitter-esque posts a day, whereas every one of his daily >17 posts is constructive and helpful. As such, a mere comparison of posting frequency isn't sufficient for the implication you were going for.

Anyway, the TL;DR version for those who didn't read every single post: BREAKING NEWS--DIFFERENT PEOPLE FIND DIFFERENT GAMES TO BE EASY/HARD
Hahahahahahaha

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:08 am

I found dinos, stained glass, balls, etc all to be quite easy. And yet...I routinely miss questions or spend exorbitant amounts of time on the first game in a section. Everybody's got different weaknesses, I guess.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rabbitrun

Bronze

Post by rabbitrun » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:44 am

I think why everyone freaked out about the Oct. LG was because LG in preptest 63 was obnoxiously easy. After taking preptest 63 two weeks before, I actually cried because I thought I wasted my summer by devoting so much time to LG. I think those games didn't rely on any inferences.

The dino game is not that hard though once you get how to diagram it, especially if you take the time to run through some templates before you start looking at the questions. Once you figure out the Trex inference, you are golden.
However, during the test, on the 3rd game, my flawless diagraming skills failed because I stressed out and diagrammed it really stupidly. But even still... people are exaggerating how difficult it was. It was pretty standard. I went to the bathroom in the middle of it and had time to finish (with one guess on game 3 because i got too lazy to work it out). It was difficult but very manageable.

The ultimate bitch LG is the old and new jazz/rock/opera/rap game. I've done it about 3-4 times and i still cant get under 10 min.
Last edited by rabbitrun on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ColumbiaChamp

Bronze

Post by ColumbiaChamp » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:26 am

What's the Trex inference?

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:39 pm

rabbitrun wrote:the old and new jazz/rock/opera/rap game. ive done it about 3-4 times and i still cant get under 10 min.
Parity FTW. That one is pretty simple for me.

calvinlovehobbes

New

Post by calvinlovehobbes » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:30 pm

lakers3peat wrote:games that are long, just do all the local "If questions" then strike every answer from a "cannot be true" that you have already proved to be true from a hypothetical.

you go through all the "cannot be true" questions in the rest of the section right away?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rivermaker

Bronze

Post by rivermaker » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:37 am

hardest game for me was that bus game. With window and aisle seats.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”