overcoming biggest fear with logic games (with 2 weeks left) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
rachue

New

overcoming biggest fear with logic games (with 2 weeks left)

Post by rachue » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:22 pm

i think i've realized my biggest fear for this test: getting an important inference halfway through a LG, or not getting it at all, or applying that key inference in SOME questions but not all, and therefore messing the game all up and/or losing a great amount of time.

i've been drilling for the past 2 weeks or so, probably in the range of 2-3 sets per day, and going over the ones i have trouble with. i'm fine with the sequencing ones, but i have a harder time with grouping (takes me longer to visualize, more likely to miss an inference).

i just did a practice set, and i was -0 for 3 games, and then in the hardest one, which i reserved for last but had ample time to finish (10 min or so), i missed 4 out of the 7. all of this, while thinking i had done fine on it. WTFFFF. then i go back and reread the rules quickly, and realize i had forgotten one of the key inferences while answering some of the ACs (but in other questions, i remembered that key inference for some reason).

am i just a crazy person? am i 22 going on 85 (with alzheimers)? seriously wtf? what should i do with only two weeks left? if i could ace LG, i would just be SO SET. gahh.

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Re: overcoming biggest fear with logic games (with 2 weeks left)

Post by imjustjoking22 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:38 pm

I know exactly how you feel! I mess up rules and lose points that way. I think the best thing we can do is keep drilling and stay calm!!

aeiouy

New

Post by aeiouy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:45 pm

I don't know if this advice will be any good, but on harder problems, I tend to look back on the actual rules from time to time because for some reason, I feel like I can make a connection faster when I look at the written rules as opposed to my notations. This may be time consuming for some, but I always finish games with ample time, so this is what I tend to do.

rachue

New

Post by rachue » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:30 pm

thanks guys. i'm gonna give your tips a shot.

ggibelli

Bronze

Post by ggibelli » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:39 pm

aeiouy wrote:I don't know if this advice will be any good, but on harder problems, I tend to look back on the actual rules from time to time because for some reason, I feel like I can make a connection faster when I look at the written rules as opposed to my notations. This may be time consuming for some, but I always finish games with ample time, so this is what I tend to do.
i do this as well! i think it's worth the extra 5-10 seconds sometimes to glaze of the written rules another time while working through the problems. It is reassuring and also helps see something you may not see in your notations

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

barneytrouble

Bronze

Post by barneytrouble » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:44 pm

aeiouy wrote:I don't know if this advice will be any good, but on harder problems, I tend to look back on the actual rules from time to time because for some reason, I feel like I can make a connection faster when I look at the written rules as opposed to my notations. This may be time consuming for some, but I always finish games with ample time, so this is what I tend to do.
I do this as well. Definitely worth it.

Also, when I make a key inference, I add it to the master diagram. At the end of a game, simply check the answers from before you made the inference against the new master diagram. I guess this doesn't help if you completely miss it but a lot of games have at least 1 "what must be true?" type question which is basically giving you another rule, and you can usually get a sub-inference out of this new info.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:42 pm

A lot of people just start writing all over the place. Have a plan of attack with how you're going to write stuff out.

For me, I draw a vertical line halfway across the page and write SETUP in large letters on the left side. Any deduction I make from the rules (or an absolute question, if I miss something up front) goes there. Each conditional question gets its own, smaller block on the right side. That way, there's no confusion between questions, and I copy my setup for each conditional, so I can't miss anything I already know.

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:56 pm

bp shinners wrote:A lot of people just start writing all over the place. Have a plan of attack with how you're going to write stuff out.

For me, I draw a vertical line halfway across the page and write SETUP in large letters on the left side. Any deduction I make from the rules (or an absolute question, if I miss something up front) goes there. Each conditional question gets its own, smaller block on the right side. That way, there's no confusion between questions, and I copy my setup for each conditional, so I can't miss anything I already know.
+1

Staying organized is key. It's amazing how little things like this strategy can make a huge difference under timed conditions.

rachue

New

Post by rachue » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:40 pm

bp shinners wrote:A lot of people just start writing all over the place. Have a plan of attack with how you're going to write stuff out.

that's a good point. so do you rewrite the master diagram for each conditional? i try not to bc i think it's sometimes time consuming but then again, sometimes i miss things trying to keep all the details in my head and then end up missing easy points...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:27 pm

rachue wrote:

that's a good point. so do you rewrite the master diagram for each conditional? i try not to bc i think it's sometimes time consuming but then again, sometimes i miss things trying to keep all the details in my head and then end up missing easy points...
Generally, yes, I rewrite the master for each diagram. Usually, I'll skip a few of the restrictions to save time, making sure to always refer back to them. Sometimes, I'll leave off an option if I think I'll be able to fill it in based on a deduction I end up making (Such as L/M, if I know I'm going to be able to figure out between L and M what is in that slot). However, I've been teaching this for awhile, so I probably have a better sense for what's going to end up filled in just after reading the rules than the average test-taker. When I'm teaching someone 1-on-1, they usually miss something if they don't copy the restrictions over as well. So my rule-of-thumb recommendation would be to copy restrictions over (not options, because you might have to erase on the toilet paper-like LSAT).

rachue

New

Post by rachue » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:05 am

bp shinners wrote:
rachue wrote:

Generally, yes, I rewrite the master for each diagram. Usually, I'll skip a few of the restrictions to save time, making sure to always refer back to them. Sometimes, I'll leave off an option if I think I'll be able to fill it in based on a deduction I end up making (Such as L/M, if I know I'm going to be able to figure out between L and M what is in that slot). However, I've been teaching this for awhile, so I probably have a better sense for what's going to end up filled in just after reading the rules than the average test-taker. When I'm teaching someone 1-on-1, they usually miss something if they don't copy the restrictions over as well. So my rule-of-thumb recommendation would be to copy restrictions over (not options, because you might have to erase on the toilet paper-like LSAT).
interesting. so the on the real test, they don't give you solid paper? like it rips easily? that stinks...

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:37 pm

rachue wrote: interesting. so the on the real test, they don't give you solid paper? like it rips easily? that stinks...
Yes - don't count on being able to erase easily. The paper will probably tear if you do it too much.

rachue

New

Post by rachue » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:04 pm

good to know. thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”