Low lsat need advice Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kerrigaa

New

Low lsat need advice

Post by kerrigaa » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:38 pm

Hey y'all I took the june lsat and only scored a 157, so I'm not too pleased. I took a kaplan full length practice test last year and scored 150 cold, so only going up 7 points I'm not too happy. I took a powerscore weekend class two weeks before the test. I also got the logic games bible and logical reasoning. I'll admit I didn't do too much studying until the week before the test (I took the whole week off of work and went through the two books and took about 4 or 5 full length tests).

I got 5 wrong on the logic games section, 6x on the 1st LR section and after that it was downhill with 10x on the RC and 10x on the second LR. My first section was the experimental LG and it confused the hell out of me, which I think threw me off and set the tone for the rest of the test.

I have a 4.0 GPA so obviously from what I've been reading on here I need to take it again. I guess I'm just looking for some advice for studying/ positive motivation. I'm looking to go to BC or BU (best case would be with money), but of course I need to raise my LSAT a lot. Any help or advice is appreciated.

drs36

Bronze

Re: Low lsat need advice

Post by drs36 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:51 pm

kerrigaa

New

Post by kerrigaa » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:04 am

Yes I'm reading through that thread. Thank you

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:12 am

kerrigaa wrote:Hey y'all I took the june lsat and only scored a 157, so I'm not too pleased. I took a kaplan full length practice test last year and scored 150 cold, so only going up 7 points I'm not too happy. I took a powerscore weekend class two weeks before the test. I also got the logic games bible and logical reasoning. I'll admit I didn't do too much studying until the week before the test (I took the whole week off of work and went through the two books and took about 4 or 5 full length tests).

I got 5 wrong on the logic games section, 6x on the 1st LR section and after that it was downhill with 10x on the RC and 10x on the second LR. My first section was the experimental LG and it confused the hell out of me, which I think threw me off and set the tone for the rest of the test.

I have a 4.0 GPA so obviously from what I've been reading on here I need to take it again. I guess I'm just looking for some advice for studying/ positive motivation. I'm looking to go to BC or BU (best case would be with money), but of course I need to raise my LSAT a lot. Any help or advice is appreciated.
The thread dre36 linked offers some of the best advice for improving one's LSAT score.

In terms of general advice, I would recommend setting your sights higher than BC or BU. A 4.0 GPA is a horrible thing to waste. If you could get your score up to the 170s, you're looking at T14 with money.

nelaw2010

Bronze

Post by nelaw2010 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:53 am

Look at Pithypike's study guide. Also, here is something I put together (hth).

Please make sure you buy "How to Read Better and Faster" on Amazon. Your reading speed might be a problem.

STUDY PLAN:

Books to purchase:
A. ACE the LSAT Logic Games: --LinkRemoved-- ... 0974853364

B. Powerscore Logic Games Bible: --LinkRemoved-- ... W6QCZHW64A

C. Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible: --LinkRemoved-- ... gy_b_img_b

D. Powerscore Logic Games Workbook: --LinkRemoved-- ... pd_sim_b_4

E. ExamKrackers Logical Reasoning: --LinkRemoved-- ... 318&sr=1-2

F. Informal Logic - A Pragmatic Approach, Douglas Walton: --LinkRemoved-- ... 431&sr=1-2

G. Powerscore Reading Comprehension Bible: --LinkRemoved-- ... pd_sim_b_3

H. The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests

I. 10 More Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests

J. 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests

K. The Official LSAT SuperPrep

L. How to Read Better and Faster

M. Cambridge LSAT Logical Reasoning questions by TYPE (http://www.cambridgelsat.com/product/ls ... asoning/22)

- I have included a few of these to get you started. (I tried, the files are way too big)

1. Start with "The Official LSAT SuperPrep.
A. Read the first 100 pages, and do PrepTest A UNTIMED. Then carefully go through the answers.

2. Logic Games (25% of the test)
A. Go through the LG PowerScore Bible Twice. It is critical that you understand how to do the games.
B. Go through the PowerScore Workbook and focus on the set-ups.
C. Do the TIMED games in the ACE the LSAT Logic Games book. These games are TOUGH.
D. Make 3 copies of each game in the Actual, Official Book 19 - 38. Organize them by the PT they came from (I would buy an accordian binder at Staples)
E. Use this website so that you can do the games by TYPE (Pure Sequencing, Grouping, Linear): --LinkRemoved-- ... types.html
F. Also, do some of the games as an entire section to work on your timing.
G. Great website to help you work through different games: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/

3. Logical Reasoning (50% of the test)
A. Go through the LR PowerScore Bible twice. Make sure you focus on anything you don't understand.
B. After you finish a section, for example the Must Be True section, then do those questions in Logical Reasoning by TYPE that you downloaded from Cambridge.
C. Use the ExamKrackers for any section you are struggling on.
D. Skim through Informal Logic - A Pragmatic Approach
E. If you get an LR question wrong, and don't understand why, do the following. Write out the premises, conclusion and then write out why each answer choice is right or wrong.

4. Reading Comp (25% of the test)
A. Go through the RC Powerscore Bible once.
B. Do reading comp sections from PT 19 - 38.
C. Practice with "How to Read Better and Faster

5. Additional Links:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=396

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=120471

Once you have done all this, then start doing PT under timed conditions.

Do them in this order:
SuperPrep: B
SuperPrep: C
June 2007 PT: You can download for free online (just google it) http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/SamplePTJune.pdf
PT 39 - 55

That will be 19 PT's. The most important part of the PT is that you review them afterwards to see what you missed. You MUST review your wrong answers and understand why you got them wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kerrigaa

New

Post by kerrigaa » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Alright, gonna go order some books and get crackin'. Thanks

alangsto

New

Post by alangsto » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:40 pm

I will be retaking the exam as well, just stay positive and refocus on studying. I would start studying well before a week. I just don't know if that's enough time to iron out any wrinkles.

camwon

New

Post by camwon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:32 pm

i have an idea:
you take the logic games section for me and i'll take the rest, and we can together score a 175

kerrigaa

New

Post by kerrigaa » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:53 pm

sounds good to me

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”