GPA Equalizer? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
T-Account

New

GPA Equalizer?

Post by T-Account » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and new to the law school application/admissions process. I've just (a week ago) thought about the prospects of going to law school in a couple years after working for a few. I've just graduated with a masters degree...so I will likely be a little older when/if I end up attending law school. Anyway, I went to a top 30 private college for UG and graduated with a 3.92, which was the highest GPA in my major (I think I was top 20 in my class). My school does not hand out A+'s, so my question is whether or not I am at a disadvantage because I went to a school where I could not earn an A+. Would it be worth it to point out that I had the highest GPA in my major (I received a named award) on an application? From what I've read on the forums in the past couple days as I have started exploring law school it seems that schools do not care where you went/what the grading scale is/class rank/etc., all they look for is your GPA. Is there any type of scaling at all?

Thanks,
T-A

bk1

Diamond

Re: GPA Equalizer?

Post by bk1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:44 pm

With your GPA that high you won't be at a disadvantage since your GPA will be a plus at pretty much every law school. Also, people with above 4.0's are exceedingly rare so it's not like there are many people with higher GPA's than yours.

You also cannot make them look at one GPA over another. They will make decisions based on your LSAC GPA alone and will not care about your major GPA. However, it would be worth noting the award you got in the education section of your resume.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:46 pm

Law schools will only care about your GPA/LSAT because the hard numbers are what influence their overall ranking. Your GPA is something I'd kill for. Buy the PowerScore Bibles (except Reading Comprehension) and the Manhattan Reading Comprehension book, then buy the practice tests that LSAC releases. Study for the summer, take the LSAT in October, and score a 170+. The world is then your oyster.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:46 pm

bk187 wrote:With your GPA that high you won't be at a disadvantage since your GPA will be a plus at pretty much every law school. Also, people with above 4.0's are exceedingly rare so it's not like there are many people with higher GPA's than yours.

You also cannot make them look at one GPA over another. They will make decisions based on your LSAC GPA alone and will not care about your major GPA. However, it would be worth noting the award you got in the education section of your resume.
+1. Also, your gpa might not be calculated to exactly the same number by LSAC. It could go up or down.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:47 pm

bk187 wrote:With your GPA that high you won't be at a disadvantage since your GPA will be a plus at pretty much every law school. Also, people with above 4.0's are exceedingly rare so it's not like there are many people with higher GPA's than yours.

Do make a note of the Major GPA & Award on your resume, but yeah, bk is probably right to say that the LSAC GPA is the key stat.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Also, wrong forum

T-Account

New

Post by T-Account » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:53 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Also, wrong forum
I see what I did there. Sorry.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:44 pm

glewz wrote:Do make a note of the Major GPA & Award on your resume
This is really the only place to get stuff like that included that doesn't make you look arrogant (I guess a letter of rec, too, but you have limited control of that).

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:46 pm

It isn't as good as a >4.0, but your 3.92 will be looked at very favorably coming from a t-30. If you hit a 170, Yale is possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:53 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:It isn't as good as a >4.0, but your 3.92 will be looked at very favorably coming from a t-30. If you hit a 170, Yale is possible.
Still a long shot.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:52 pm

3.92/170 is strong H material already. Not an unenviable situation to be in *looks at GPA :( *

T-Account

New

Post by T-Account » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:04 pm

Thank you all for the responses.

While I understand that LSAT and GPA are the only two things really looked at by law schools, it just seems so odd to me. Having just started looking into the law school admissions process and comparing it the last "real" admissions process I went through (UG), it just seems so weird that the "whole person" isn't being looked at. In a way I guess that helps me, coming from a school with rumored grade deflation I didn't have too many ECs in UG after spending much of my time studying. However, I was hoping that my professional work experience would give me a boost. I'm guessing this experience will only help me in interviews (if that), assuming I get into a top school to begin with.

And so it begins...

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:25 pm

As you probably know by now, many people here agree with you that the current system is unfair, but there's nothing we can do about it. Schools don't want to look at things fairly (hurts rankings to sacrifice numbers for quality), and even if they wanted to, they likely couldn't (time constraints, too many variables). Just be glad you have a high GPA and focus on acing the LSAT.

In other words, focus on what it is, not what it should be.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”