Reading Comp tutoring Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
japes

Bronze

Reading Comp tutoring

Post by japes » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:56 pm

I'm tutoring a friend on the reading comp portions of the LSAT. I did the best on reading comp when I took the LSAT, but my study consisted solely of taking practice tests and not learning strategies, etc. - reading comp just kind of comes naturally to me. Any advice for teaching strategies for the reading comp sections? They seem a lot more difficult to strategize than the logic games.

EarlCat

Silver

Re: Reading Comp tutoring

Post by EarlCat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:00 am

Are you getting paid for said tutoring?

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:13 am

why would that be relevant?

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:10 am

It's not. Just my own curiosity.

SanDiegoJake

Bronze

Post by SanDiegoJake » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:34 pm

What most people do incorrectly on the reading section is that they treat it like you get points for actually "reading" and/or "comprehending" and they spend way too much time trying to "comprehend" the passage. Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether you comprehend something if there isn't a question about it. Read the passage very quickly the first time (2 minutes tops, no re-reading). Then, spend your time doing the thing that does earn you points, answering the questions. Find exactly where the passage supports the correct answer. Every correct answer is supported by something specific in the passage.

Also, on that first reading, don't just read for WHAT the passage is saying. That's high school level. The majority of LSAT questions don't ask about WHAT is being said, but rather HOW it is being said (Ex: Which of the following desribes the organization of the 1st paragraph?) and WHY it is being said (Ex: The author uses the example of the duck-billed platypus in order to?) So focus on the WHY and the HOW. You can always go back to the passage for the WHAT questions.

Lastly, if possible, answer the question in your own words before looking at the answer choices. Choose the answer that comes closest to yours no matter what. Try it and you'll be surprised at both your accuracy and the time you'll save by not wavering between answer choices.

Best of luck!

Kurst

Bronze

Post by Kurst » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:36 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”