Conditional Statement Practice? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Eichörnchen

Silver

Conditional Statement Practice?

Post by Eichörnchen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:14 pm

Hey everyone -
I am about 150 pages into the LRB, and I've noticed that while I usually do OK with conditional statements, sometimes with trickier ones I have shaky understanding of why I know the right answer (sometimes it's instinctual). I know that I need to know concretely what these statements are saying and why each answer is right or wrong. I was wondering if anyone had any resource that they know of for practicing with cond statements or a workbook where I could find some tricky ones to practice on. I haven't been able to find anything like this, so I figured I'd check and see of anyone else has.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Re: Conditional Statement Practice?

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:43 pm

try the game "if/then" in our arcade for basic practice converting phrases to conditional statements

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:35 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah you are the man. And your company as well. I have never seen viral marketing on a message board that was actually welcomed by the posters.

Kurst

Bronze

Post by Kurst » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:27 am

Indeed, Noah is the man. In addition to the Arcade, see this TLS article on conditional reasoning; it has a few worksheets with which to practice.

benito

Bronze

Post by benito » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:49 am

The best things about conditional statements is you can basically practice them 24/7....Think about how many times in regular conversation or listening to the radio/tv or a lecture in class you'll hear some type of if/then statement....Every time you hear one you can manipulate it in your head, consider what you can't say anything about based on it, the negation of the sufficient condition or affirmation of the necessary condition, and what you can (vice versa). Play with the contra-positive in your head till its second nature, and even better if they follow it with a so.....or therefore.... you can fill in the assumptions to make it a valid argument (cause in normal conversation there are almost always some implied premises however basic to people's conclusions) or think about something that would strengthen/weaken their argument or blow it up altogether. True you may lose ur grip on sanity doing this, I'm sure it cost me many of my remaining marbles. But it also got me to the point of only missing 1 or 2 combined on both LR sections on average. And thats what really matters right?

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:55 am

Haha I would take temporary insanity for a -1/-2 in LR. Thanks for the advice; that probably is one of the best ways to do it since my problem is with cond statements that have an unusual form. I'm sure I hear them all day, every day, so I will try to take notice and pick them apart, maybe even writing them down in order to manipulate them at home. I will most likely weird many people out and be classified as the neighborhood crazy, but what can you do. All the study material (other than the LGB) that I could find for conditionals seemed to be how to form them for english learners- not quite what I was looking for haha. I will play the LSAT arcade game too, but if I do find some magic "Really Hard Conditional Statement Workbook" I'd be very pleased. :D

edit: I forgot to say thanks to Kurst for the link to some worksheets. Much appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”