Two LSAT Scores, 7 points apart? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Casey2889

Bronze

Two LSAT Scores, 7 points apart?

Post by Casey2889 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:25 pm

I got a 165 in October with a flu; a 172 in December....The latter better reflects my academic profile (3.98 UGPA at an Ivy).

Does anyone know the policies at Stanford, Yale, Harvard, Berkeley, or Columbia for considering multiple scores? Thanks!

eaa1537

Bronze

Re: Two LSAT Scores, 7 points apart?

Post by eaa1537 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:33 pm

Casey2889 wrote:I got a 165 in October with a flu; a 172 in December....The latter better reflects my academic profile (3.98 UGPA at an Ivy).

Does anyone know the policies at Stanford, Yale, Harvard, Berkeley, or Columbia for considering multiple scores? Thanks!

My score was 10+ points apart with my highest score above yours, my gpa is about .1 lower- and I've gotten into Berkeley, NYU, UPenn, UCLA, and Georgetown so far. So for these I'd say you're fine

As for Harvard, I'm pretty sure I'm about to get either held/wait listed/rejected and although there might be something else wrong with my application, I think it's because of the retake.

I anticipate getting into Columbia (fingers crossed)- they usually take the higher score with a 6+ difference.

Yale and Stanford are just too unpredictable in my opinion to tell.

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:34 pm

There's a great TLS article about retaking and which schools average multiple scores.

Just scroll down on this page:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html

Casey2889

Bronze

Post by Casey2889 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:32 am

yeah, i've seen that thread, but i also heard different things from YLS/SLS admit officers and law school advisers... i'm going to call tomorrow.

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:46 am

For schools who recommend an addendum if there's a large discrepancy in your scores, is there a way to provide this if you've already submitted your app? Is it even that big of a deal?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Casey2889

Bronze

Post by Casey2889 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:54 pm

just made some calls, told them specifically about my score increase (7 points). was told the following:

YLS: "We will focus on the higher score with that increase."
SLS: "We look at both scores. Whether the 2nd score was significantly different from the 1st is a consideration, but we'll look at both."
HLS: "We will consider both scores and their average."
CLS: "If score increases by 6 points or more, we look more favorably on the higher score. We don't average, but look at the scores individually."

CLS was a nice surprise. HLS was what I expected, but SLS was not as encouraging as YLS...I guess they were just holding the company line.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:25 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:For schools who recommend an addendum if there's a large discrepancy in your scores, is there a way to provide this if you've already submitted your app? Is it even that big of a deal?
Contact the school directly and find out. Likely they want you to provide something directly to them, but best to make sure.

As for whether it's a big deal, many schools suggest that they look at all scores but would like you to give them some reason to consider the higher one more seriously than the lower one, and the addendum is your chance to do that. If you don't submit an addendum explaining the difference, you run the risk of them considering the average instead of the higher.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:29 pm

157/164/167 here. Im applying to non t14 schools. Is it worth sending an addendum out to all my schools i've applied to last month ? Or will they just see that obviously the 157 was an outlier and consider my 167 ?

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:05 pm

If you're a 3time test taker I imagine they'll either use your 164 or average 167. Generally if you take it twice they'll take the highest, with 3 they average your two highest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:18 pm

typ3 wrote:If you're a 3time test taker I imagine they'll either use your 164 or average 167. Generally if you take it twice they'll take the highest, with 3 they average your two highest.
Every school ? I find this hard to believe.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:30 pm

Casey2889 wrote:just made some calls, told them specifically about my score increase (7 points). was told the following:

YLS: "We will focus on the higher score with that increase."
SLS: "We look at both scores. Whether the 2nd score was significantly different from the 1st is a consideration, but we'll look at both."
HLS: "We will consider both scores and their average."
CLS: "If score increases by 6 points or more, we look more favorably on the higher score. We don't average, but look at the scores individually."

CLS was a nice surprise. HLS was what I expected, but SLS was not as encouraging as YLS...I guess they were just holding the company line.
Interesting...thanks for sharing!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”