Prep Test 59: Question #10 on Section 1 (LG) HELP!! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
BluePlanet2050

New

Prep Test 59: Question #10 on Section 1 (LG) HELP!!

Post by BluePlanet2050 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:09 pm

So, it seems to be that choice B is correct. If Gardenias is somewhere after Hibiscus (H....G) and either Fence or Magnolia is first, then H cannot be first and H is before K because G is immediately before K. But the correct answer is D...Can someone please explain to me why choice B is incorrect.

Cambridge LSAT

Bronze

Re: Prep Test 59: Question #10 on Section 1 (LG) HELP!!

Post by Cambridge LSAT » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:41 pm

The problem with choice B is that it limits the first position in a way that the original rule does not. As the solution to #8 shows, the first slot need not be occupied by one of F and M:
L I M H G K F

If the choice is incompatible with at least one acceptable solution, it is incorrect.

barnum

New

Post by barnum » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:46 pm

With these types of questions, the answer choice has to be an answer that not only replaces the rule but also has no other effects. In B it says that F or M must be first. This adds a limitation that was not present before. With the original set of rules I or L could also have been first. This answer would now prevent that and therefore change the game.
BluePlanet2050 wrote:So, it seems to be that choice B is correct. If Gardenias is somewhere after Hibiscus (H....G) and either Fence or Magnolia is first, then H cannot be first and H is before K because G is immediately before K. But the correct answer is D...Can someone please explain to me why choice B is incorrect.

BluePlanet2050

New

Re: Prep Test 59: Section 1 (LG #4 ) This game seems impossible

Post by BluePlanet2050 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:55 pm

I'm fully convinced that the person who composed this problem was possessed by an evil entity. I have diagrammed at least 10 different possibilities to the ordering of this game. This is by far the most open ended question I've encountered in my preparation. Can someone please crack this puzzle and explain what led you to employing the technique you did.
On another note, I've been doing pretty well on the Logic Games sections up until this point (usually -1 in all of the prep tests from 7-53ish) and suddenly I'm stumbling on the most recent test...any tips?

barnum

New

Re: Prep Test 59: Section 1 (LG #4 ) This game seems impossible

Post by barnum » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:57 pm

I am not sure this is the best way, but you could create all the scenarios before you start, and then just answer the questions off those scenarios. I found it easiest to start with the V/L box in 1-4, 2-5, and 3-6. If you do it both ways you will get 6 scenarios

1. V _ _ L _ _
2. L _ _ V _ _
3. _ V _ _ L _
4. _ L _ _ V _
5. _ _ V _ _ L
6. _ _ L _ _ V

Then using the rules, #2 won't work because T has no room, and you should also be able to fill in a bit more info to get

1. V W _ L _ _

3. _ V _ _ L _
4. T L _ _ V _
5. _ _ V _ _ L
6. _ _ L _ W V

Now because M and T must have exactly two spaces in between, scenarios 1, 4, and 6 all only have one place they can fit, leaving N for the last space. This generates

1. V W T L N M

3. _ V _ _ L _
4. T L N M V W
5. _ _ V _ _ L
6. T N L M W V

This would probably be enough to answer most if not all of the questions, but if you want to be thorough, I would then split scenarios 3 and 5 using the VW rule.

1. V W T L N M

3a. W V _ _ L _
3b. _ V W _ L _
4. T L N M V W
5a. _ W V _ _ L
5b. _ _ V W _ L
6. T N L M W V

Then I would end with the M T rule again, filling in N in the final spots

1. V W T L N M

3a. W V T N L M
3b. M/T V W T/M L N
4. T L N M V W
5a. M/T W V T/M N L
5b. N M/T V W T/M L
6. T N L M W V

BluePlanet2050 wrote:I'm fully convinced that the person who composed this problem was possessed by an evil entity. I have diagrammed at least 10 different possibilities to the ordering of this game. This is by far the most open ended question I've encountered in my preparation. Can someone please crack this puzzle and explain what led you to employing the technique you did.
On another note, I've been doing pretty well on the Logic Games sections up until this point (usually -1 in all of the prep tests from 7-53ish) and suddenly I'm stumbling on the most recent test...any tips?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anomaly

Bronze

Post by Anomaly » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:56 pm

Just eliminate each wrong choice and this question takes about 20 seconds.

(A) is definitely false from the acceptability question.
(B) is also false from the acceptability question.
(C) No. H could not be 6th in this game. (remember H...GK)
(E) No. we know F could be 7th from the acceptability question (or initial rules)

Phew, that wasn't so bad.

marsilni

New

Post by marsilni » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:28 pm

For answer C, exactly what does "between 1 and 6" mean? I wasn't sure if that included 1 and 6 or meant 2-5???

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”