Cancel or Not? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
DreamShake

Bronze

Cancel or Not?

Post by DreamShake » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:59 pm

I have a 3.58/169 on record. Mediocre softs, nothing outstanding. Just took the Oct LSAT, and I don't really know what to do. I freaked out over LG when I misread a clue...end result is that I ended up guessing on 5 questions. It was the last section of the test, and I felt confident about the rest of the exam (probably no more than -2 on any of the sections). I felt reasonably confident about the first 15 questions of LG after I went back and re-did the game I initially fucked up. I'm guessing 5-7 wrong on LG alone.

I was hoping a high LSAT would get me into Columbia/NYU...I know that's not realistic anymore, but what should I do? Should I cancel, stick with the 169, and ED to MVP? Stick to my guns and still apply everywhere, hoping for a small miracle (on 3 of the 5 ?'s, I had narrowed down the choices to 2 or 3. I don't know why I didn't finish them before moving on to the next. I panicked/became irrational. I don't know.)?

Any serious input is really appreciated. I'm incredibly demoralized and have no idea what I should do atm.

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Re: Cancel or Not?

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Definitely cancel. I think this test is going to have a tight curve AND the fact that you guessed on so many LG which many people (include me) think were easy is probably grounds for a cancel alone.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:32 pm

I had a very similar experience on the Jun lsat (misread a rule), guessed on the last LG and still broker 170. It was well below where I was PTing at, but it still ended up being good enough(I think) for my purposes'

But, it's your call. Certainly don't base any decision on TLS' speculations about what the curve is gonna be. No one has any credible idea of what the curve is gonna be besides LSAC.

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Marionberry wrote:I had a very similar experience on the Jun lsat (misread a rule), guessed on the last LG and still broker 170. It was well below where I was PTing at, but it still ended up being good enough(I think) for my purposes'

But, it's your call. Certainly don't base any decision on TLS' speculations about what the curve is gonna be. No one has any credible idea of what the curve is gonna be besides LSAC.
If you don't mind answering...what were you PT'ing at? Did your PT trends in the other sections basically hold on the real deal? My last half dozen PT's or so were 176-180, and I do feel very confident about the other three sections...any questions I missed would be due to misreading, but I had enough time to check each LR section twice and felt confident about my RC answers.

I'm really torn between conviction that I rocked the other three sections and could still hit ~172 even with -7 on LG, and self-doubt that such conviction just isn't justified. F'ing LSAC should let you cancel after you see your score (really, what does anyone gain under this system, other than their saving time/effort from not having to do the work for cancelled tests?)...

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:41 pm

DreamShake wrote: I was hoping a high LSAT would get me into Columbia/NYU...I know that's not realistic anymore, but what should I do? Should I cancel, stick with the 169, and ED to MVP? Stick to my guns and still apply everywhere, hoping for a small miracle (on 3 of the 5 ?'s, I had narrowed down the choices to 2 or 3. I don't know why I didn't finish them before moving on to the next. I panicked/became irrational. I don't know.)?

Any serious input is really appreciated. I'm incredibly demoralized and have no idea what I should do atm.
If you did get -2, -2, -2, -7, you'd be at -13 which might be somewhere around your current score anyways. Though, if you were PTing in the 176-180 range, and you felt good about the rest of the test, -2, -2, -2 might be not be accurate (likely less wrong per section), and you def still could have broken 170 or maybe even much higher, even with a worst case -7 LG

Sounds like you are not retaking, so you could just stick to it and see what happens. Your score will come in before ED deadline to MVP, so you'll know what to do then. Apply everywhere else in the meantime and decide on the MVP ED when you get your score.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:07 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”