How do Anthropology majors score so high on the LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ComatoseClown

Bronze

How do Anthropology majors score so high on the LSAT?

Post by ComatoseClown » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:03 am

I notice that from the rankings/stats of LSAT scores by college majors (--LinkRemoved-- http://www.phil.ufl.edu/ugrad/whatis/LSATtable.html), Anthropology majors generally outscore Computer Science, Science, and Political Science majors.

What do you think are possible reasons for their higher performances? Is there anything IN the study of Anthropology that connotes potential LSAT reasoning skills/success?

Even more interesting is Government/Service majors' average performances. Btw, I don't mean to downplay any of these majors on this forum -- I actually find the study of it very interesting and enjoy anthropology readings.

General Tso

Gold

Re: How do Anthropology majors score so high on the LSAT?

Post by General Tso » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:06 am

something is weird with that data

the number of Political Science and Psychology students seems to be confused

vstraight

New

Re: Why do Anthropology majors score so high on the LSAT?

Post by vstraight » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:06 am

The differences some of the majors are minimal. I mean .1? .2? even .4?

But in general it seems the majors where you need great analytical skills and not just pure memorization and reiteration did well. Look at how high physics, philosophy, and engineering are.

vstraight

New

Post by vstraight » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:08 am

General Tso wrote:something is weird with that data

the number of Political Science and Psychology students seems to be confused
Please change your avatar. You just made me so hungry. :(

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:10 am

I love that data if not just for the pre-law majors.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vstraight

New

Post by vstraight » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:13 am

Helmholtz wrote:I love that data if not just for the pre-law majors.
I've never actually met anyone that graduated as a pre law major. I mean I was a pre-law major but that was because I didn't know what major to pick during my freshman year and just chose pre-law since it was so broad.

I changed soon afterwards though.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:15 am

vstraight wrote:
I've never actually met anyone that graduated as a pre law major. I mean I was a pre-law major but that was because I didn't know what major to pick during my freshman year and just chose pre-law since it was so broad.

What exactly does a pre-law major do who doesn't do well enough on the lsat to go to law school? I guess be a paralegal for life if they're lucky?

vstraight

New

Post by vstraight » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:16 am

Helmholtz wrote:
vstraight wrote:

What exactly does a pre-law major do who doesn't do well enough on the lsat to go to law school? I guess be a paralegal for life if they're lucky?
What if they aren't lucky? I'm guessing from sheer probability that the vast majority won't be lucky...so what happens to those!??!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:17 am

vstraight wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
vstraight wrote:

What if they aren't lucky? I'm guessing from sheer probability that the vast majority won't be lucky...so what happens to those!??!
--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vstraight

New

Post by vstraight » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:19 am

--ImageRemoved--
Ah. Serving me Mexican delicacies at an outrageously low price!

All's well that ends well.

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:33 am

Can't help but giggle seeing how pre-law and criminology majors are consistently at the bottom of the chart.... :mrgreen:

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:36 am

One of the gals I worked with at a law firm graduated as a pre-law major. She was definitely the type who took her legal assistant job too seriously and will make a career out of it.

That's cool I suppose, since that's what she wants to do... but I think I'd shoot myself if I had to stay there any longer than I did :D

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:36 am

Philosophy Major FTW.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vstraight

New

Post by vstraight » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:37 am

I'm surprised the average LSAT difference isn't higher between some of these majors.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:49 am

Econ Major FTW.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:01 am

Go go Philosophy! :)

One of my LoRs is from a great professor who was my major advisor, who I took several logic classes with, as well as philosophy of science. When I first contacted him about writing the LoR and told him I was planning to go to law school, his response was, "Well I don't see why you'd want to do that, but okay...."

vstraight

New

Post by vstraight » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:12 am

Adjudicator wrote:Go go Philosophy! :)

One of my LoRs is from a great professor who was my major advisor, who I took several logic classes with, as well as philosophy of science. When I first contacted him about writing the LoR and told him I was planning to go to law school, his response was, "Well I don't see why you'd want to do that, but okay...."
This is exactly what one of my professors said to me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:36 am

The people in non-PT/Pre-Law/Criminology or whatever majors who take the LSAT are probably more committed to the test because it isn't the normal thing for them to do with their degree, and to take such a turn away from the norm might correlate with knowing more that law school is what you want to do.

Whereas with the other ones that are feeders into law school, more total students will end up scoring higher and doing well, there are inevitably those that are taking the LSAT because everyone else in their major is doing it and because it just seems like the next thing to do with their major.

inmans

New

Post by inmans » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:03 am

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's likely that political science/pre-law/criminology majors tend to be from large state schools with broad course offerings... These students may/may not (I would argue the latter) be as academically competitive with students from smaller liberal arts colleges with more narrow course offerings (students whom, given their circumstances, tend to choose majors like anthropology).

my two cents...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:05 am

Helmholtz wrote:
vstraight wrote:
--ImageRemoved--
They go to Stanford?

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:28 am

inmans wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's likely that political science/pre-law/criminology majors tend to be from large state schools with broad course offerings... These students may/may not (I would argue the latter) be as academically competitive with students from smaller liberal arts colleges with more narrow course offerings (students whom, given their circumstances, tend to choose majors like anthropology).

my two cents...
doubt it...although I am a Poli sci major at a state school lol. But I think 2014's theory is much more likely

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nphsbuckeye

Bronze

Post by nphsbuckeye » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:02 pm

inmans wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's likely that political science/pre-law/criminology majors tend to be from large state schools with broad course offerings... These students may/may not (I would argue the latter) be as academically competitive with students from smaller liberal arts colleges with more narrow course offerings (students whom, given their circumstances, tend to choose majors like anthropology).

my two cents...
What school doesn't have political science? (That's right, Harvard calls it "Government".) There are also a lot of really good big state schools (although you'd have to qualify "big").

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:44 pm

My school doesn't have political science either. They have a program called "interdisciplinary arts and sciences" and in that major you choose your area of focus, and in that they have a "politics, philosophy, and economics" track. Anthropology as well as philosophy are both called "self and society."

Not sure why they did this but the education offered is fairly broad, and the options within each degree are varied.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:46 pm

Physics! Math! Gooooooooo NERDS!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”