How much can I improve in 36 days? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jacko

New

How much can I improve in 36 days?

Post by jacko » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:33 pm

I just tested at 158 after a couple weeks of studying, I was wondering if a 10 or 12 point increase is possible?

Knock

Platinum

Re: How much can I improve in 36 days?

Post by Knock » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:40 pm

jacko wrote:I just tested at 158 after a couple weeks of studying, I was wondering if a 10 or 12 point increase is possible?
Where are your misses coming? Give us some specifics, how much are you missing on LG, LR and RC on average. Are those misses spread out or on a few question types, etc?

In general though, a 10 to 12 point increase in a month is not likely. Unless this is the very beginning of your studying and the 158 was cold. But even then, the odds are still against you.

jacko

New

Post by jacko » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:44 pm

Knockglock wrote:
jacko wrote:I just tested at 158 after a couple weeks of studying, I was wondering if a 10 or 12 point increase is possible?
Where are your misses coming? Give us some specifics, how much are you missing on LG, LR and RC on average. Are those misses spread out or on a few question types, etc?

In general though, a 10 to 12 point increase in a month is not likely. Unless this is the very beginning of your studying and the 158 was cold. But even then, the odds are still against you.
I'm doing well in LG and LR but I'm getting my ass kicked in reading comprehension.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:47 pm

jacko wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

I'm doing well in LG and LR but I'm getting my ass kicked in reading comprehension.
Not much of a chance, i'm afraid. RC is the hardest to improve. How many are you missing? Could you maybe gain a few points by focusing on getting more accuracy on 3 passages versus rushing through all 4 passages?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:03 am

jacko wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Almost no chance. Sorry but RC is almost impossible to improve drastically unless you were doing something extremely wrong from the beginning.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:12 am

jacko wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

The advise given thus far is true.

Don't let it get you down. You could always take the test in December. You have one hell of a head start for that. You could easily get yourself into the 170s by then. Don't feel rushed into the LSAT. Take it when you think you're ready.

jacko

New

Post by jacko » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:19 am

3|ink wrote:
jacko wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Don't let it get you down. You could always take the test in December. You have one hell of a head start for that. You could easily get yourself into the 170s by then. Don't feel rushed into the LSAT. Take it when you think you're ready.
If I wait until December, won't I be screwed because of rolling admissions even if I get a 170?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:20 am

jacko wrote:
3|ink wrote:
jacko wrote:
Knockglock wrote: Where are your misses coming? Give us some specifics, how much are you missing on LG, LR and RC on average. Are those misses spread out or on a few question types, etc?

If I wait until December, won't I be screwed because of rolling admissions even if I get a 170?
The thing is though, it's worth waiting until December even if it's only a 1 or 2 point increase. A 10 or 12 point increase is a no brainer to wait. Even a 3-4 point increase would easily be worth waiting.

Jackie O

Bronze

Post by Jackie O » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:38 am

jacko wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

don't feel too discouraged - though it's very individualistic I went from -16 (yep - 0 wrong on LG so shush) to -3 in RC during the couple weeks I studied; I feel a lot of it is getting the hang of what kind of pace you should be working at and the key points to look for

I am still learning how to read and write, but RC is not impossible

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:14 am

Jackie O wrote:I am still learning how to read and write, but RC is not impossible
Wait, what?

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:15 am

Knockglock wrote:The thing is though, it's worth waiting until December even if it's only a 1 or 2 point increase. A 10 or 12 point increase is a no brainer to wait. Even a 3-4 point increase would easily be worth waiting.
This is what I'm doing. I'd probably get a 166 by Oct, but I'm aiming for at least a 170. Applying in Jan will hurt your chances for schools that you will be on the line for, and where you do get accepted you will get less money, but an increase of more than 3 points is definitely worth it. You may also want to consider waiting an extra year if possible.

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:16 am

Jackie O wrote:
jacko wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

don't feel too discouraged - though it's very individualistic I went from -16 (yep - 0 wrong on LG so shush) to -3 in RC during the couple weeks I studied; I feel a lot of it is getting the hang of what kind of pace you should be working at and the key points to look for

Can you please explain how in the world you went from a -16 to a -3 in RC?

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:16 am

LSpleaseee wrote:
Jackie O wrote:I am still learning how to read and write, but RC is not impossible
Wait, what?
I believe the correct response to this is "wat"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:23 am

One way this is possible is if the poster first took the practice LSAT when she was 8 years old and has now grown up.

The only other way that comes to mind is if the poster was half asleep or maybe just piss drunk when she first took RC section.

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:50 am

I jumped from 163 to 171 to 180 in three weeks.
See where you are in two weeks then decide, but everyone above is correct in saying it is "unlikely."

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:37 pm

Referring to the reading comprehension section, improvements can be made. I was getting more than half wrong and i am now only getting 7 or 8 wrong per section and rapidly improving.

jacko

New

Post by jacko » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:58 pm

Another practice test yesterday and scored 160. I'm getting closer and I feel like there is a million little things that I could do better but I still have a month to keep working on it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jackie O

Bronze

Post by Jackie O » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:39 am

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:
Can you please explain how in the world you went from a -16 to a -3 in RC?
More or less just through doing a lot of RC sections and getting my timing down, while also learning what technique worked best for me. I was fine in the other sections so I stopped doing PTs and just whipped through the majority of the RC, which made it easy to become aware of what pace I should be reading at. Also, I swapped in different methods (reading the questions first, underlining, highlighting, bracketing, etc). After completing several RC sections I found it easy to spot what the questions would likely be, so I underlined a few key words, then moved on to the questions. 13 point jump!
LSpleaseee wrote:
Wait, what?
just kidding around (mostly) :)

jacko

New

Post by jacko » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:04 am

Another practice test at 162. Looks like I might holding off to December. Does 170+ seem possible by then or do you kind of just hit a wall?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”