PT 50 - RC, Passage #2, Bankruptcy Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bartleby

Silver

PT 50 - RC, Passage #2, Bankruptcy

Post by bartleby » Wed May 26, 2010 7:58 pm

Main idea is A (#6), which I put, but I'd like to know why E is wrong. So far I have that "trigger" is to strong of a word and that it doesn't really address society even though I feel like the economic state, debtors, and creditors make up most of society in the passage. And if trigger is too strong of a word, #12's D states that laws changed because of needs of society.

In the passage, I found the words "sacrosanct" and "strictures" to be tough also. The first, I don't think I've ever seen. The second, I could have made a good guess. Context clues obviously make it easier but I always wonder if those are going to be important words that will change the entire tone of the sentence.

Am keeping a vocab list but it is probably too late for that.

HiLine

Bronze

Re: PT 50 - RC, Passage #2, Bankruptcy

Post by HiLine » Wed May 26, 2010 10:40 pm

The purpose of the passage is to argue against returning to a focus on punishment, so the main point should somehow reflect the conclusion, which is that the current law should not be abandoned in favor of the old system emphasizing punishment.

I never noticed those two words as I was reading the passage, and was still able to correctly answer the questions. I don't think knowing the meanings of the words would have significantly changed one's performance.

mz253

Bronze

Re: PT 50 - RC, Passage #2, Bankruptcy

Post by mz253 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:57 am

"reflect a convergence of interests of debtors and creditors" narrows the scope. the passage is talking about the law becomes more lenient (focus less on punishment) in order to serve the best interest of the "society"

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”