LG Help, PT 27, sect 2 #7-12 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
hellojd

Bronze

LG Help, PT 27, sect 2 #7-12

Post by hellojd » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:53 am

Sorry to post again on this test, but I found it a bit difficult (it did have about a -16 curve).

How do you diagram this second logic game? I've worked through most of the PS bible, but can't figure out how to EFFICIENTLY track the type of reptile AND whether its male or female. I did eventually get all these questions right, but it literally ate up almost twice the appropriate amt of time for me.

Thanks as always.
Last edited by hellojd on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

roranoa

Silver

Re: LG Help, PT 29, sect 2 #7-12

Post by roranoa » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:24 am

Its PT 27 actually.

And this one is not about making a cool diagram.

All you have to do is understand the possible distribution

its either

2-2-2-1-empty (not necessarily in that order)

or

2-2-1-1-1

If you understand that correctly then you have no problem. No need for elaborate diagrams.

One key inference there is that since snakes and lizards can't pair up

one of the lizard has to be all alone. (this inference kills question 9and 10)

hellojd

Bronze

Re: LG Help, PT 29, sect 2 #7-12

Post by hellojd » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:59 pm

roranoa wrote:Its PT 27 actually.

And this one is not about making a cool diagram.

All you have to do is understand the possible distribution

its either

2-2-2-1-empty (not necessarily in that order)

or

2-2-1-1-1

If you understand that correctly then you have no problem. No need for elaborate diagrams.

One key inference there is that since snakes and lizards can't pair up

one of the lizard has to be all alone. (this inference kills question 9and 10)
Ok, that makes sense - but did you have a certain way of accounting for the second aspect, the male / female part of the game? Just curious on the best way to keep track of the two arrays, 1) snake / lizard and 2) male / female.

Thanks!

willwash

Bronze

Re: LG Help, PT 27, sect 2 #7-12

Post by willwash » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:22 pm

Any time I am dealing with weird variables where a select few of something are "special" in some way I use circles, squares and dashes. In the snakes and lizards game I drew a circle around the S or L's deemed as male. Since there are only 2 males, it's easy to pick them out in my diagram and I leave the females plain.

In the mannequin clothing game where there are 3 variables, I made two columns, one for each mannequin, with the letters H J S T for mannequin 1 and H J S for mannequin 2. Then I made a little legend; a circle around the letter indicates the article is red. A Square indicates it is yellow, and a small dash on either side, ie, -H-, indicates it is navy. This really really helped me crack the mannequin game in record time, even though it's deemed one of the hardest games ever.

FreeGuy

Bronze

Post by FreeGuy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:37 pm

hellojd wrote:did you have a certain way of accounting for the second aspect, the male / female part of the game? Just curious on the best way to keep track of the two arrays, 1) snake / lizard and 2) male / female.

Thanks!
Why not just put down ML for Male Lizard and FS for Female Snake, etc.?

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:44 pm

FreeGuy wrote:
hellojd wrote:did you have a certain way of accounting for the second aspect, the male / female part of the game? Just curious on the best way to keep track of the two arrays, 1) snake / lizard and 2) male / female.

Thanks!
Why not just put down ML for Male Lizard and FS for Female Snake, etc.?

That overcomplicates it IMO. THere are only two males, and the only thing that makes the two males different is that they are male. A diagram of :

FS MS FS ML
-- -- -- -- -- etc
FS FL

is much more complicated than simply writing S and L and circling the two males to depict that designation. Even if you left off the "F"s for the females you end up with a diagram you have to scrutinze more to make out the different designation for the males. The circles really pop out of the diagram. This is my two cents; it worked for me and worked really well for me in the mannequin game, though I've yet to attempt the dino game using this method., but obviously we must all come up with our own diagramming techniques

PS I know tht diagram violates the rules in the game, but the point is nonetheless clear :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”