tips for reviewing PTs Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
becauseimaddicted

New

tips for reviewing PTs

Post by becauseimaddicted » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:42 pm

I know that reviewing practice tests is the key to improving and I've read here that it should take longer than the test time. I'm not spending that much time (it takes me about half the time to review a test as to take it) and I'm not sure what I'm not doing. I go over every question but most of them take less than 30 seconds. I predicted the answer the first time and there it is. I can go over the wrong answers and ascertain why they're wrong (sometimes they just look wrong and I can't really explain why)

I got 161 in September and 160 in December (test anxiety) but every PT I've taken since December has been <170. I'm feeling great about the February test (as long as I can keep my anxiety under control!!). Still, I want to do the max prep between now and then. LG is my weakest. I'm fine with any basic game, but complicated hybrid games still get me, especially if the answer choices are long because I don't work that fast. I re-do every game 3 times throughout the next week(though by the third time its hard not to remember the answers, I have a pretty good memory)

Anyways, long and short of it-- how do you go over your PTs? What am I not doing?

Woozy

Bronze

Re: tips for reviewing PTs

Post by Woozy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:02 pm

becauseimaddicted wrote:I know that reviewing practice tests is the key to improving and I've read here that it should take longer than the test time. I'm not spending that much time (it takes me about half the time to review a test as to take it) and I'm not sure what I'm not doing. I go over every question but most of them take less than 30 seconds. I predicted the answer the first time and there it is. I can go over the wrong answers and ascertain why they're wrong (sometimes they just look wrong and I can't really explain why)

I got 161 in September and 160 in December (test anxiety) but every PT I've taken since December has been <170. I'm feeling great about the February test (as long as I can keep my anxiety under control!!). Still, I want to do the max prep between now and then. LG is my weakest. I'm fine with any basic game, but complicated hybrid games still get me, especially if the answer choices are long because I don't work that fast. I re-do every game 3 times throughout the next week(though by the third time its hard not to remember the answers, I have a pretty good memory)

Anyways, long and short of it-- how do you go over your PTs? What am I not doing?
You don't really need too much review of the ones you got right and had no trouble with. You need to review carefully anything you were not 100% sure of on the first pass and anything you got wrong. And when you review you really need to understand what you got wrong and why. Too many people just gloss over while looking at the correct answer and never internalize its logic. If possible you should be reviewing your wrong answers without knowing what the correct response is so you have to figure it out for yourself.

And you are a fool if you take your 3rd test before you absolutely master the LG section. It is free points. Do more and more until you are very fast and can handle an entire section worth of your worst game type without running out of time. Good luck.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”