"Significant Other" on L&C App Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
beach_terror

Platinum

"Significant Other" on L&C App

Post by beach_terror » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:29 am

So I figure by definition, a significant other is just a vague term for a girlfriend/partner/wife.

However, in a formal application, is this restricted to just wife/domestic partner?

Another quick question: if the PS says writing about L&C is optional, is it good idea to add them in? My flow on my PS makes it awkward to add in a certain school, so I don't like to do so.... but I don't want to come off as disinterested in the school or lazy.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: "Significant Other" on L&C App

Post by kalvano » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:06 am

For SO, I always take it to mean either spouse or domestic partner.

If it doesn't work in your PS, don't try and cram it in. It will make it look worse than not doing it.

sillysassafrass

New

Post by sillysassafrass » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:07 am

I attend L&C, in with scholarship. My personal essay also didn't really have a way to talk about law schools, but I did put a paragraph or two at the end about why I was applying to the school. Not sure if that will work for you.

I also have a live in boyfriend, but dont think I included that in the application. Not sure why they need to know that anyways, other than to give you information about the partner events.

wonkymonkey

New

Post by wonkymonkey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:02 pm

I was wondering if it is beneficial to tell a school that one of the reasons you want to go there is because of a signficant other (lives in that city). If it doesn't help, then I don't see a point in mentioning it. Thanks for your help!

Tatiana Mendez

New

Post by Tatiana Mendez » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:35 pm

I mentioned that I was interested in my school because of the city's location which is where my boyfriend wants to work, but I did so in my interview, not in my application. I don't see how it would hurt you, but honestly, I don't know if it helps either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”