3L OCI NY Big Law Possibility Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Post Reply
stellarbull

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:25 pm

3L OCI NY Big Law Possibility

Post by stellarbull » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:55 pm

Hello

I am a 2L at a lower T14, who didn't do that well in 1L. Therefore, I didn't get a big law offer during OCI. Nevertheless, my GPA increased in 2L. I am wondering if it's still possible to do 3L OCI. I heard firms normally wouldn't hire a 3L, but each year there are still folks lucky enough. What is the most effective way to get big law offer as a 3L? Any insights, suggestions, comments are welcomed.

Thanks!

mwells_56

New
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:18 am

Re: 3L OCI NY Big Law Possibility

Post by mwells_56 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:58 am

stellarbull wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:55 pm
Hello

I am a 2L at a lower T14, who didn't do that well in 1L. Therefore, I didn't get a big law offer during OCI. Nevertheless, my GPA increased in 2L. I am wondering if it's still possible to do 3L OCI. I heard firms normally wouldn't hire a 3L, but each year there are still folks lucky enough. What is the most effective way to get big law offer as a 3L? Any insights, suggestions, comments are welcomed.

Thanks!
I basically emailed every firm that had an opening for a 1st-3rd year associate in a practice group I was interested in or had some kind of relevant experience to ask if they were also looking to hire 3Ls. Got a few interviews across the V100 (I think 3? Maybe 4?), landed one offer. Interview advice is to be honest that you struck out at OCI and then you put a lot of effort into improving your grades and resume. Firms might be skeptical that you actually want Big Law if you have something else on your resume in your 2L summer despite having BL-qualifying grades.

Make sure you get a good 2L summer gig. I ended up at a F-100 company that gave me an offer, so I had good non-firm experience and a really solid backup plan. I also did an externship during school at a fedgov agency to boost my resume.

If hiring stays hot like it has been, your chances aren't terrible if you can get yourself above median and interview well.

anon420

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:06 pm

Re: 3L OCI NY Big Law Possibility

Post by anon420 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:25 pm

mwells_56 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:58 am
stellarbull wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:55 pm
Hello

I am a 2L at a lower T14, who didn't do that well in 1L. Therefore, I didn't get a big law offer during OCI. Nevertheless, my GPA increased in 2L. I am wondering if it's still possible to do 3L OCI. I heard firms normally wouldn't hire a 3L, but each year there are still folks lucky enough. What is the most effective way to get big law offer as a 3L? Any insights, suggestions, comments are welcomed.

Thanks!
I basically emailed every firm that had an opening for a 1st-3rd year associate in a practice group I was interested in or had some kind of relevant experience to ask if they were also looking to hire 3Ls. Got a few interviews across the V100 (I think 3? Maybe 4?), landed one offer. Interview advice is to be honest that you struck out at OCI and then you put a lot of effort into improving your grades and resume. Firms might be skeptical that you actually want Big Law if you have something else on your resume in your 2L summer despite having BL-qualifying grades.

Make sure you get a good 2L summer gig. I ended up at a F-100 company that gave me an offer, so I had good non-firm experience and a really solid backup plan. I also did an externship during school at a fedgov agency to boost my resume.

If hiring stays hot like it has been, your chances aren't terrible if you can get yourself above median and interview well.
Advice on finding firms with openings? I haven't observed this even though there is supposed to be a hot hiring market

mwells_56

New
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:18 am

Re: 3L OCI NY Big Law Possibility

Post by mwells_56 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:13 pm

anon420 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:25 pm
mwells_56 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:58 am
stellarbull wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:55 pm
Hello

I am a 2L at a lower T14, who didn't do that well in 1L. Therefore, I didn't get a big law offer during OCI. Nevertheless, my GPA increased in 2L. I am wondering if it's still possible to do 3L OCI. I heard firms normally wouldn't hire a 3L, but each year there are still folks lucky enough. What is the most effective way to get big law offer as a 3L? Any insights, suggestions, comments are welcomed.

Thanks!
I basically emailed every firm that had an opening for a 1st-3rd year associate in a practice group I was interested in or had some kind of relevant experience to ask if they were also looking to hire 3Ls. Got a few interviews across the V100 (I think 3? Maybe 4?), landed one offer. Interview advice is to be honest that you struck out at OCI and then you put a lot of effort into improving your grades and resume. Firms might be skeptical that you actually want Big Law if you have something else on your resume in your 2L summer despite having BL-qualifying grades.

Make sure you get a good 2L summer gig. I ended up at a F-100 company that gave me an offer, so I had good non-firm experience and a really solid backup plan. I also did an externship during school at a fedgov agency to boost my resume.

If hiring stays hot like it has been, your chances aren't terrible if you can get yourself above median and interview well.
Advice on finding firms with openings? I haven't observed this even though there is supposed to be a hot hiring market
I just went to the careers page on any given firm's website.

lawstudent1998

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:20 pm

Re: 3L OCI NY Big Law Possibility

Post by lawstudent1998 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:24 pm

What months did you send out emails? I have a V100 summer associate gig in NY lined up, but want to do a specific practice area. Similar to above poster, I was below median at a t14 but am prob gonna end with a 3.4-3.6 after 2L (my guess)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “Ask a Law Student”