"JD Advantage"...Includes Paralegal Jobs? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
schoolisfun

New

"JD Advantage"...Includes Paralegal Jobs?

Post by schoolisfun » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:00 am

When I look at the ABA's employment chart for different schools I see the "JD Advantage" line and from what I have read, these jobs could range from a job in politics, to banking, to business etc. From what I've gathered, "JD Advantage" seems to indicate a pretty solid job post-grad. Yet, I was wondering if it also includes jobs like a paralegal, and if the majority of these "JD Advantage" jobs are law students working as paralegals until they can find a job as an attorney.
Hope this isn't a question that has already been asked but I couldn't find any information on it.
Thanks!

nealric

Re: "JD Advantage"...Includes Paralegal Jobs?

Post by nealric » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:18 pm

When looking at employment stats, it's a good idea to assume the worst.

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:03 pm

schoolisfun wrote:When I look at the ABA's employment chart for different schools I see the "JD Advantage" line and from what I have read, these jobs could range from a job in politics, to banking, to business etc. From what I've gathered, "JD Advantage" seems to indicate a pretty solid job post-grad. Yet, I was wondering if it also includes jobs like a paralegal, and if the majority of these "JD Advantage" jobs are law students working as paralegals until they can find a job as an attorney.
Hope this isn't a question that has already been asked but I couldn't find any information on it.
Thanks!
I was a paralegal at Kirkland before starting law school, and one of the paralegals that I worked with had a degree from a T3 law school. He was in his late 30s and worked his way up to a paralegal position from a contract attorney position. I asked how common that was in my exit interview, and the woman in charge of the Paralegal department said that they now actively recruit people for paralegal positions from low tier law schools who don't manage to find a job. In reality, it could be worse than being a paralegal at a large firm like Kirkland. With a small nominal bonus and overtime pay, I made nearly 60k in my first year out of college, and I wasn't even a full-fledged paralegal. Still, it's a sad thought.

Ar40

New

Post by Ar40 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:49 pm

I've read horror stories of firms won't re-hire paralegals who went to law school and got a JD.

Seems to be a mark against you for not using your degree in the field it was meant for.

joeyc328

Bronze

Post by joeyc328 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:13 am

No self respecting firm will Hire a JD as a paralegal. A lawyer is going to try to a lawyer as fast as possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”