The best backpack for law school Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

The best backpack for law school

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Fri May 06, 2016 1:32 pm

I keep reading about people recommending North Face backpacks. However, I think they're ugly; can anyone recommend alternatives?
I like the Herschel Supply "Little America" backpacks, but was wondering about their comfort/durability.

foxes

Bronze

Re: The best backpack for law school

Post by foxes » Fri May 06, 2016 1:35 pm

Herschel pop quiz or heritage. The little America backpacks look awkward and the drawstring + snaps would drive me nuts.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri May 06, 2016 1:39 pm

3 features
Thickly Padded straps
Big
Preferably with strap that snaps the two straps together across your chest to relieve pressure on ur shoulder.

Aesthetics are immaterial given how heavy 1l books are.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri May 06, 2016 2:21 pm

dabigchina wrote: Aesthetics are immaterial given how heavy 1l books are.
Or bribe your professors to use something like ChartaCourse.

somethingElse

Gold

Post by somethingElse » Fri May 06, 2016 3:07 pm

Would this be good??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri May 06, 2016 5:07 pm

haus wrote:
dabigchina wrote: Aesthetics are immaterial given how heavy 1l books are.
Or bribe your professors to use something like ChartaCourse.
I don't think I have as much money as Wolter Kluwers, Lexis Nexis, Or West,

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri May 06, 2016 5:59 pm

p1921

Bronze

Post by p1921 » Fri May 06, 2016 8:13 pm

You'll get laughed out of class if you show up with one that doesn't have wheels.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri May 06, 2016 8:19 pm

yes wheels are necessary if you don't want to be pegged on day one as the beta of the pack

it is important to assert your dominance from the moment you meet your peers so be sure they see your backpack while you quote from a WSJ article

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri May 06, 2016 8:22 pm

Also your backpack needs its own seat next to you in class. Don't let somebody get up in your space or try to approach you like you're some meek-ass beta. Declare your territory.

TetrisBlock

Bronze

Post by TetrisBlock » Sat May 07, 2016 6:57 pm

There are only 2 rules: 1) your backpack must have wheels 2) they must be big wheels with treads so that you can navigate the legal terrain. Rollerblade wheels will get you laughed out of school. 16 inches of solid rubber? Welcome to top of the class; enjoy your stay.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sat May 07, 2016 9:12 pm

You need a backpack that can hold your goggles and swim trunks for the lazy river

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat May 07, 2016 9:23 pm

perfection is the enemy of good. just settle for a "good" backpack instead of endlessly pursuing the "best" backpack

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat May 07, 2016 9:49 pm

p1921 wrote:You'll get laughed out of class if you show up with one that doesn't have wheels.
I showed up the first day with a standard style backpack and the professor made me leave

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Sat May 07, 2016 11:45 pm

I'm going to go against the prevailing winds on this one: you don't necessarily need a backpack with built-in wheels. in preparing to enter the professional world, let form outweigh function. Try something like this leather Coach backpack in "fawn".

http://www.coach.com/coach-mens-leather ... _GPLA70786

Now, you won't necessarily want to carry your books in this bag (though it will do a great job for backup ties, moleskines, and spare blazer), but pair it with one of those rolling metal carts that homeless people sometimes use to carry their worldly possessions, and throw all your books in there. If you can't find one in a store, just find a homeless person and put your budding negotiation skills to the test; it will be worth the effort. The backpack will far outshine the cart, and you'll be dressed to impress from day one.

As an even sharper alternative, this plumed feather Ferragamo will do even more for your on-campus image. As they say: act as if.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Salvatore-F ... oC66Xw_wcB

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:50 am

Clyde Frog wrote:You need a backpack that can hold your goggles and swim trunks for the lazy river

This.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed May 11, 2016 9:46 pm

I'm just starting to prepare for the LSAT, but these types of threads are gold.

So...they are distracting, but at least I'm distracted with this rather than TV.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Fri May 13, 2016 4:24 am

foxes wrote:Herschel pop quiz or heritage. The little America backpacks look awkward and the drawstring + snaps would drive me nuts.
Are the pop quiz or heritage big enough? In grad/undergrad, I had a lot of backpacks eventually tear because of cramming too many books in them

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Fri May 13, 2016 11:28 am

Loney M. Setnick wrote:
foxes wrote:Herschel pop quiz or heritage. The little America backpacks look awkward and the drawstring + snaps would drive me nuts.
Are the pop quiz or heritage big enough? In grad/undergrad, I had a lot of backpacks eventually tear because of cramming too many books in them
Despite my bullshit post above, yeah, it's worth being concerned with having enough space to carry this shit around all day comfortably. I use a North Face Surge (not the expensive powered version) and it's just about the perfect size (plus its sturdy and comfortable, unlike the Herschel stuff). My bag has ~33L of space, which seems like a decent target size. Anything bigger would seem huge, anything smaller might not fit your books + laptop.

http://www.zappos.com/the-north-face-su ... -tnf-black

gamerish

Gold

Post by gamerish » Fri May 13, 2016 12:58 pm

Glasseyes wrote:I'm going to go against the prevailing winds on this one: you don't necessarily need a backpack with built-in wheels. in preparing to enter the professional world, let form outweigh function. Try something like this leather Coach backpack in "fawn".

http://www.coach.com/coach-mens-leather ... _GPLA70786

Now, you won't necessarily want to carry your books in this bag (though it will do a great job for backup ties, moleskines, and spare blazer), but pair it with one of those rolling metal carts that homeless people sometimes use to carry their worldly possessions, and throw all your books in there. If you can't find one in a store, just find a homeless person and put your budding negotiation skills to the test; it will be worth the effort. The backpack will far outshine the cart, and you'll be dressed to impress from day one.

As an even sharper alternative, this plumed feather Ferragamo will do even more for your on-campus image. As they say: act as if.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Salvatore-F ... oC66Xw_wcB
SalvaTTTore is 120

Dior is TCR

http://www.nuji.com/product/9587a2c6-4f ... pack-black

texasrangersjb

Bronze

Post by texasrangersjb » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:44 pm

Loney M. Setnick wrote:I keep reading about people recommending North Face backpacks. However, I think they're ugly; can anyone recommend alternatives?
I like the Herschel Supply "Little America" backpacks, but was wondering about their comfort/durability.
I like my Sierra backpack. Not crazy expensive and was durable, lasting through UG.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:18 pm

As a plus, if you get too drunk at bar review, your friends can use it to take you home.

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:21 pm

In case anyone is interested, I thought the Poler backpacks looked nice and also durable. I think that's what I'm going to end up getting.

Dads707

New

Post by Dads707 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:49 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Also your backpack needs its own seat next to you in class. Don't let somebody get up in your space or try to approach you like you're some meek-ass beta. Declare your territory.
0L here

What happens if someone takes your food in common eating areas without asking?

Should a first-time offense be brushed off with a simple mano-a-mano beat down or are you better off nipping the situation in the bud by going for the tables, ladders and chairs?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:01 pm

Dads707 wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Also your backpack needs its own seat next to you in class. Don't let somebody get up in your space or try to approach you like you're some meek-ass beta. Declare your territory.
0L here

What happens if someone takes your food in common eating areas without asking?

Should a first-time offense be brushed off with a simple mano-a-mano beat down or are you better off nipping the situation in the bud by going for the tables, ladders and chairs?
The real question is why you're keeping food in common areas at all. This isn't some hippy dippy utopia where we all hold hands and trust each other. This is the brutal dog-eat-dog world of LAW. Someone's ganking your fries; you done fucked up by meekly RELINQUISHING CONTROL of your food and giving an impression that you are a WEAK BETA who doesn't deserve to have things. Violence isn't gonna solve that - sure this guy will cease but the damage has been done to your LAW SCHOOL REP.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Get a badass backpack which will safely hold your PRECIOUS LUNCHABLES; one that screams "BADASS MOTHERFUCKER."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”