Engineering majors preparing for law school. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
egrizzly

New

Engineering majors preparing for law school.

Post by egrizzly » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:07 pm

My attention is a bit piqued about engineering majors who prepare for law school. Coming out of undergraduate these applicants pretty much take all engineering courses. How then are they easily prepped for law school entry? There is apparently a "best practice" approach which they use to do this since their's a ton of patent-attorneys out there with undergraduate degrees in engineering.

I ask about this because I am an Information Systems major and seriously considering real estate law. Of course my pre-conceptions about law school preparations led me to believe that you strictly need a neat "pre-law" template of classes to be adequately prepared.

egrizzly

Poldy

Silver

Re: Engineering majors preparing for law school.

Post by Poldy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:10 pm

egrizzly wrote:My attention is a bit piqued about engineering majors who prepare for law school. Coming out of undergraduate these applicants pretty much take all engineering courses. How then are they easily prepped for law school entry? There is apparently a "best practice" approach which they use to do this since their's a ton of patent-attorneys out there with undergraduate degrees in engineering.

I ask about this because I am an Information Systems major and seriously considering real estate law. Of course my pre-conceptions about law school preparations led me to believe that you strictly need a neat "pre-law" template of classes to be adequately prepared.

egrizzly
I'm an engineering major but I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't think there is any pre law prep for engineers.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:12 pm

Make sure you can write well, type quickly, can dress yourself professionally, and schmooze with people you don't particularly like.

egrizzly

New

Post by egrizzly » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:41 pm

I was curious as to whether the people who go into law school with an engineering degree have to settle for prepping for LSAT cold-turkey, or if is recommended they take some ideal route for preparation into law school.
RancidSumo wrote:
egrizzly wrote:My attention is a bit piqued about engineering majors who prepare for law school. Coming out of undergraduate these applicants pretty much take all engineering courses. How then are they easily prepped for law school entry? There is apparently a "best practice" approach which they use to do this since their's a ton of patent-attorneys out there with undergraduate degrees in engineering.

egrizzly
I'm an engineering major but I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't think there is any pre law prep for engineers.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Why wouldn't you study for the LSAT?

No preparation is really needed, but I'd probably take a writing course or seven. It isn't hugely important for law school, but for practice it is necessary.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

severeclear

New

Post by severeclear » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:12 pm

Engineer headed to law school this fall. I studied for the LSAT just like anyone else would. There's no special route or class for engineers going to law school. Not sure if that answers your question.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:22 am

severeclear wrote:Engineer headed to law school this fall. I studied for the LSAT just like anyone else would. There's no special route or class for engineers going to law school. Not sure if that answers your question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”