1L Summer Internship vs. Study Abroad Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lishi

Silver

1L Summer Internship vs. Study Abroad

Post by lishi » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:42 pm

I'm looking at the study abroad programs at a lot of schools, and they sound very interesting. But I'm wondering if I chose to do a study abroad program instead of getting an internship like most of peers, will law firms look down on me when it comes to 2L summer jobs?? Will I get less offers, because I don't have firm experience?? Is it just the opposite??

Any comments are appreciated.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Re: 1L Summer Internship vs. Study Abroad

Post by orangeswarm » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:16 pm

From what I've gathered talking to law firm partners, a paid 1L gig looks better than really anything on your resume. From what I've gathered from a very limited sample, when a firm sees a resume with a paying 1L experience they say either (1) that person must have had amazing grades; or (2) if not, that person must interview EXTREMELY well to have overcome them. I don't think that really covers it though. My two cents is that firms are greedy and if a peer firm wants you, they do too (to an extent).

I'm not saying that a study abroad would hurt you. You just want to make sure you have something to talk about during your 2L interviews. For what its worth, everyone I've talked to said they prefer a legal job (any legal job) on a resume than nothing at all.

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:18 pm

1L summer is also a great chance to get a kickass writing sample and a contact/recommendation for later on.

the lsat hax0r

New

Post by the lsat hax0r » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:41 pm

You have to do something legal related.

Like Formerbruin said, you want a good legal writing sample and a top notch recommendation from an attorney is invaluable. Not only that, you get more experience in the legal world. At OCI, employers will ask you about your summer and why you chose not to do something legal-related. If you do something legal, then it gives you great ammo to shoot the shit with the interviewers - you can talk about your experiences during the summer, how much you learned, etc.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:04 am

Well when I say study abroad, I meant a study abroad that the law school offers. So it would still be legal because you are studying the law in different countries.

But basically everyone is saying try to get a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:30 am

But basically everyone is saying try to get a job.
Yes. Study abroad may be fun, but getting a job legal related (paid or unpaid) will do much more for you in the long run.

deucethejuice

New

Post by deucethejuice » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:00 am

I think a person could potentially make some tremendous contacts in a study abroad experience. Not to mention that it could stand out on a resume as distinctive. Of course there are some study abroad programs which are probably more like a vacation than anything, but I think that a strategic location at a top ranked international school could be a clever way to get a foot in the door with contacts in the US. I believe that a strong study abroad experience is better than an average summer job at a law firm that most students end up working.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:52 pm

I think a person could potentially make some tremendous contacts in a study abroad experience.
That is very true. Especially if that person is looking to work in an international respect or even in that particular country.
Not to mention that it could stand out on a resume as distinctive.
I guess so. Especially since so many people clerk or work for a firm over the summer. I'm sure it gives the interviewers something different to talk about and is likely a welcome break from the monotony.
Of course there are some study abroad programs which are probably more like a vacation than anything
Thats the only thing I would worry about. I would hate to walk into an interview with people who think I spent my entire summer partying. I guess, however, if they did then screw 'em.
I believe that a strong study abroad experience is better than an average summer job at a law firm that most students end up working.
I don't really agree or disagree with this. Truthfully, if I had the money, I would jump at doing a study abroad. I think the big difference between the two, however, is that working a summer job give you a bit more to talk about during an interview that your interviewers can relate to. On the other hand, I have a friend who did a summer abroad and one of her 2L summer interviewers happened to be from the area. She attributed the offer she recieved to the hour they ended up talking about how much fun she had (and I'm sure what she learned too) over the summer...at least that's what she told me.

deucethejuice

New

Post by deucethejuice » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:08 pm

Yes, so basically it is a gamble to go a study abroad program I suppose. Especially if the one you go on is rather unknown and you aren't able to back up the experience in an intelligent way when discussing it during an interview. Like I think in just about any situation, you could say, "I selected this program because X International Law School offered me valuable experience and training in __________ and ___________, which I knew my law school did not offer to such an extent. Also, I was able to make some excellent contacts and acquaintances which I feel will be of strong benefit to your firm because of ______________, _____________, and _______________. While I was at Oxford, I had an opportunity work with Professor X Archibald-Poop, who is the premier authority on offshore bank accounts."

8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:55 pm

thanks guys. I was looking into Fordham's study abroad program, and they have one where they choose 5 students to go to London and study under the Oxford program, which I think would look very good on a resume, but if it's just some random place like Italy where I have no real connections to what I want to do it's not best.

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:34 am

i'm studying abroad no matter what. i like other countries too much to lose the opportunity...

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:51 am

If a certain candidate wins the presidency, I'm going to study abroad and stay there.

00TREX00

Bronze

Post by 00TREX00 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:33 am

Pretty sure that many schools offer study abroad to be taken during a normal, non-summer semester, which would kind of solve this little conundrum. Am I wrong?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:53 am

Yeah they do, but I don't know if I'd want to be gone that long. 4 months may be a little too much for me.

angiejolie

New

Post by angiejolie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:40 pm

Oxford program
Oxford is one of the greatest cities in the world. and the school is amazing. hob-nobing with future MPs just sounds cool.

BondGirl

New

Post by BondGirl » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:13 pm

Which internships that are available to 1Ls are paid?

the lsat hax0r

New

Post by the lsat hax0r » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:02 pm

BondGirl wrote:Which internships that are available to 1Ls are paid?
Summer associate jobs at big firms.

Market pay is 3k/week now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:14 pm

4 months may be a little too much for me.
I spent 4 months in barcelona, and it was nowhere near long enough...but then again, i'd be lying if i said i studied or went to class very much when I was there 8)

hurley325

New

Post by hurley325 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:59 am

00TREX00 wrote:Pretty sure that many schools offer study abroad to be taken during a normal, non-summer semester, which would kind of solve this little conundrum. Am I wrong?
I would love to do that. Tulane has an exchange program with a university in Sydney which would be incredible.

Before spending 5 weeks in London last summer, I doubted that I could handle being out of the country for very long. But 5 weeks wasn't close to enough time, I would love to spend an entire semester abroad.

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:24 am

For what it's worth our school encourages study abroad. They told us we could look for a research position if we wanted to do that for part of the time and then go study abroad somewhere. I will be spending 3 weeks in Austria in class with Justice Kennedy this summer and for me I think that's the best thing I could do, but each to their own.

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:30 am

don't fly in a prop plane with a Kennedy. or dallas.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:12 pm

Last edited by pasteurizedmilk on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:30 pm

nM
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

annabell

New

Post by annabell » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:52 am

the lsat hax0r wrote:
BondGirl wrote:Which internships that are available to 1Ls are paid?
Summer associate jobs at big firms.

Market pay is 3k/week now.
I have two questions about this.

1) I've heard that summer income is taken into account and so if you work your 1L summer, you will get significantly less financial aid (I'm talking about Harvard). Is this true?

2) At most of the firms' websites I've looked out, they specifically say that they only hire students in their 2L summer. Which firms hire first years that pay that way? Are there many? And how do students get these jobs?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”