Do resume gaps affect success at OCI? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
churrochi

New

Do resume gaps affect success at OCI?

Post by churrochi » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:30 am

Hey all. Anyone with significant resume gaps of 4+ months between undergrad and law school that can shed some light on how that plays into OCI? I graduated in August 2013, and took time off to take care of my dad (who had surgery around that same time) and study for the LSAT full-time. Things unfortunately didn't go according to plan, and in short -- I'm retaking this September. I interned at a pro-bono legal office from January 2014-April 2014, and have been out/unemployed for a month now. Will gaps in my resume from August-December and April-present hurt my chances at OCI?

I do freelance work in editing/proofreading from my home, but I can't imagine that would suffice as a filler for the gaps in my resume for a significant amount of time. The work doesn't come in that regularly; just whenever someone expresses interest. Should I be looking for a job to do on the side while I study, and if so, would a "whatever job" like retail/grocery stores/etc. suffice, or should I look for something more related to law? What about volunteering?

Thanks for the help!

kartelite

Bronze

Re: Do resume gaps affect success at OCI?

Post by kartelite » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:37 am

I really don't think that four months is going to raise any eyebrows in most professional industries. I took six months off between jobs a few years ago to travel and do some language study (already had the offer in hand when I quit first job, but standardized start date for second position), and no one's ever asked me about it. I actually don't list the months in my employment history so I guess there's no way to tell there's a gap just by looking at my CV, so you could always do that. My brother took a few months off before and after his MBA, tons of people do this so I wouldn't worry about it.

Volunteer/freelance stuff is great, just keep doing that as it makes a better talking point than most retail-type work.

churrochi

New

Post by churrochi » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:18 pm

kartelite wrote:I really don't think that four months is going to raise any eyebrows in most professional industries. I took six months off between jobs a few years ago to travel and do some language study (already had the offer in hand when I quit first job, but standardized start date for second position), and no one's ever asked me about it. I actually don't list the months in my employment history so I guess there's no way to tell there's a gap just by looking at my CV, so you could always do that. My brother took a few months off before and after his MBA, tons of people do this so I wouldn't worry about it.

Volunteer/freelance stuff is great, just keep doing that as it makes a better talking point than most retail-type work.
What about a period of four months, followed by the indeterminate time between May-October as I study for the LSAT? I could always do the CV thing as well; sounds like a great idea. I do have personal reasons to explain why employment may not be the best idea in addition to the LSAT (I live with my parents at the moment, and our house is on short-sale, i.e., we may leave at many moment, depending on the offers we get for our house). Just want to make sure that law school OCI (even BigLaw) accounts for "unexpected life occurrences" as reason for unemployment.

Thank for the info!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:20 pm

Depends. In your case, I don't think it will matter. People will just treat you like a K-JD if you graduated summer 2013 and apply fall 2014.

Say you started law school at 27, for example, because you spent a year out of college working for a company and then quit and did nothing/were unemployed for two years, then started volunteering and studying for the LSAT. Then I would say yes - that would have a negative impact for a partner reviewing your resume (if it said like BA 2007, job 2007, quit 2008, started law school 2013). Once you fall out of the typical recruiting pattern (college -> LSAT -> law school -> SA), you will be scrutinized more like another working professional, and for the general job market resume gaps are problematic.

I want to emphasize that law school grades matter far more and this could only ever impact the margins.

churrochi

New

Post by churrochi » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:10 am

jbagelboy wrote:Depends. In your case, I don't think it will matter. People will just treat you like a K-JD if you graduated summer 2013 and apply fall 2014.

Say you started law school at 27, for example, because you spent a year out of college working for a company and then quit and did nothing/were unemployed for two years, then started volunteering and studying for the LSAT. Then I would say yes - that would have a negative impact for a partner reviewing your resume (if it said like BA 2007, job 2007, quit 2008, started law school 2013). Once you fall out of the typical recruiting pattern (college -> LSAT -> law school -> SA), you will be scrutinized more like another working professional, and for the general job market resume gaps are problematic.

I want to emphasize that law school grades matter far more and this could only ever impact the margins.
Thanks so much for your insight! This helps a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”