Should I disclose? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Ants07

New

Should I disclose?

Post by Ants07 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:11 am

Hey,

Senior applying for this cycle. I did something just plain stupid freshman year and ended up on academic probation for like 5 months or so. My GPA that semester (Fall 2010) was 3.7+ and has always been between 3.6-3.9. It was agreed by all parties that it was an honest mistake and the dean told my parents and I that this would not ever be on my transcript or on any official record. I misunderstood important information about departmental policies related to my major and credit, etc... A bunch of other confused freshies ended up in the same situation. This happens every year to whoever tunes out at the wrong moment during the two hour long departmental meeting at orientation. It's like nowhere to be seen on my academic record and nobody could ever tell from my GPA. Would you disclose?
Last edited by Ants07 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

RELIC

Bronze

Re: Should I disclose?

Post by RELIC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:12 am

Ants07 wrote:Hey,

Senior applying for this cycle. I did something just plain stupid freshman year and ended up on academic probation for like 5 months or so. My GPA that semester (Fall 2010) was 3.7+ and has always been between 3.6-3.9. It was agreed by all parties that it was an honest mistake and the dean told my parents and I that this would not ever be on my transcript or on any official record. I misunderstood important information about departmental policies related to my major and credit, etc... A bunch of other confused freshies ended up in the same situation. It's like nowhere to be seen on my academic record and nobody could ever tell from my GPA. Would you disclose?
Disclose.

It could affect your future bar application if you do not.

Ants07

New

Post by Ants07 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:14 am

This sucks. How does it affect CCN admissions (potentially H) given median numbers?

RELIC

Bronze

Post by RELIC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:18 am

Ants07 wrote:This sucks. How does it affect CCN admissions (potentially H) given median numbers?
It depends on what it was and how you explain it. You need to write an addendum.

Was it for anything involving dishonesty or fraud?

Ants07

New

Post by Ants07 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:39 am

No. I misunderstood the time for which I was supposed to show up to this required test (earlier than what the schedule said and quite a few others also misunderstood) but dept policies mandate that no-shows or late students be placed on probation until the end of the semester. For what it's worth I passed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:25 am

This gets kind of fuzzy. I'd err on the side of caution and disclose, but academic dishonesty is really frowned upon, and I'd be looking into just how "not discoverable" this is personally... my understanding is academic dishonesty is always recorded. If the offense wasn't serious enough to be written down any where, it may not have been an actual dishonesty situation, and more of a school letting you know you made a boo boo.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:47 am

Was it probation for cheating or for missing an important exam? Related to dishonesty or not?

Ants07

New

Post by Ants07 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:56 am

No cheating and no dishonesty, I was late to this one very important exam and got put on probation because anyone who is late or absent gets put on probation according to departmental policies if it happens to be part of your major requirements. My major is one of those you have to declare as a freshman because there are specific requirements that one needs 8 semesters to complete which is also why they can't have people missing exams because it actually puts one off-track and unable to graduate in 8 semesters but they don't want people staying more than 8 semesters either.

Moves like JAGger

New

Post by Moves like JAGger » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:04 am

You showed up late to exam. I cannot see how disclosing this would hurt you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:08 am

I don't even need to read the OP. If you have to ask, the answer is yes.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:16 pm

Disclose. Since it does not involve dishonesty, it will have no effect on your cycle.

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:24 pm

If you have to ask if you should, the answer is yes

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”