Grade BUMP Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LobbLaw

New

Grade BUMP

Post by LobbLaw » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Hey,

So, I graduate in May with a BS in the useless degree of sociology.
My GPA is about a 3.0.

I am considering just finishing up my coursework, but NOT applying for graduation. That way I can take some community college classes for a year. Increase my GPA. Then apply.

Worth it?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Grade BUMP

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:33 pm

What kind of improvement are we talking about? It might be worth it to go from a 2.95 to a 3.02 or something, but from 3.0 to 3.1? Probably not gonna do much. That said, if you are going to wait a year to apply anyway (always a good idea) and it won't cost much to do this then you might as well go for it. Whatever happens you'll need to score very highly on the LSAT to make law school worthwhile.

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:10 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:What kind of improvement are we talking about? It might be worth it to go from a 2.95 to a 3.02 or something, but from 3.0 to 3.1? Probably not gonna do much. That said, if you are going to wait a year to apply anyway (always a good idea) and it won't cost much to do this then you might as well go for it. Whatever happens you'll need to score very highly on the LSAT to make law school worthwhile.
I am not necessarily supposing that you are incorrect.

Why would you think that the (smaller) jump from 2.95 to 3.02 is more significant than the (larger) jump from 3.0 to 3.1?

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:17 am

LexLeon wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:What kind of improvement are we talking about? It might be worth it to go from a 2.95 to a 3.02 or something, but from 3.0 to 3.1? Probably not gonna do much. That said, if you are going to wait a year to apply anyway (always a good idea) and it won't cost much to do this then you might as well go for it. Whatever happens you'll need to score very highly on the LSAT to make law school worthwhile.

Why would you think that the (smaller) jump from 2.95 to 3.02 is more significant than the (larger) jump from 3.0 to 3.1?
GPA floors at the T14 (minus NU).

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:41 pm

LexLeon wrote:

LSN seems to suggest that at a number of schools, even some outside the T-14 (BU and Emory fit the bill, among others), a fairly hard floor exists at 3.0. This makes intuitive sense given that 3.0 is a nice round number and our minds tend to see 3.05 and 3.15 and being fairly similar while seeing 2.95 as something different entirely. By no means is this true in every case and there are some schools where going from 3.1 to 3.2 could make a real difference, but from the data I've seen I don't think it's worth a lot of time, effort, and opportunity cost to bring a GPA up in this situation unless the OP is just short of a 3.0.

But again, every extra hundredth of a point helps and if the GPA can be improved rather easily and cheaply then I'm all for it. I certainly wish I would have done something like the OP is considering.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote: ...I certainly wish I would have done something like the OP is considering.
But you made it to the NBA!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Why waste your time and money? A much better use of your time would be getting meaningful work experience and killing it on the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”