. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
nygrrrl

Gold

Re: Year before 1L...what to do?

Post by nygrrrl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Travel. Dance (a LOT.) Read trashy novels. Watch ALL of the episodes of your favorite shows. Find new favorite shows. Go to the gym. Spend stupid amounts of time hanging out with your friends. Do something on your bucket list. TRAVEL MORE.

My experience with lawl skool is that it is a grind, plain and simple. You don't have the same freedom to just drop everything and go to Europe/S.A./etc. You don't have TIME anymore. You become really focused on SCHOOL. It overwhelms you. What I miss most are travel (I used to use my passport at least a dozen times per year) and reading for pleasure. Just load up on that stuff. And dance. A LOT. :D

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:07 pm

nygrrrl wrote:Travel. Dance (a LOT.) Read trashy novels. Watch ALL of the episodes of your favorite shows. Find new favorite shows. Go to the gym. Spend stupid amounts of time hanging out with your friends. Do something on your bucket list. TRAVEL MORE.

My experience with lawl skool is that it is a grind, plain and simple. You don't have the same freedom to just drop everything and go to Europe/S.A./etc. You don't have TIME anymore. You become really focused on SCHOOL. It overwhelms you. What I miss most are travel (I used to use my passport at least a dozen times per year) and reading for pleasure. Just load up on that stuff. And dance. A LOT. :D
It's not that bad. I mean, it's still easier and less time consuming than having a real job

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:21 pm

dingbat wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:Travel. Dance (a LOT.) Read trashy novels. Watch ALL of the episodes of your favorite shows. Find new favorite shows. Go to the gym. Spend stupid amounts of time hanging out with your friends. Do something on your bucket list. TRAVEL MORE.

It's not that bad. I mean, it's still easier and less time consuming than having a real job
^^^ This is totally true. I just REALLY don't want people sitting around reading casebooks and stuff, kwim?

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 pm

Bump!

I'm heading home after traveling abroad for three months, and need to get a jerb. Does it matter what kind of job I get? Will future employers care? FWIW, I already have 2 years of law firm experience. Could I spend the next 6 months working at a coffee shop without it hurting me??

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:55 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Thanks nick. That's definitely what I wanted to hear!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”