. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hotdogseller

New

Post by hotdogseller » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Last edited by hotdogseller on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawSchoolChampion

Bronze

Re: What's the draw of academia?

Post by LawSchoolChampion » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:31 pm

Enjoyment.

Some people, like myself (though I am not pursing academia), enjoy teaching.

BEAST_mode

Bronze

Post by BEAST_mode » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:32 pm

Tenure.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:32 pm

comp is pretty darn good, work/life balance, publish stuff you're interested in as opposed to doing ridiculous research and writing stuff nobody will ever see for the first 3 years, twead jackets with patches on the elbows, the ability to grow a handsome neckbeard

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:40 pm

LawSchoolChampion wrote:Enjoyment.

Some people, like myself (though I am not pursing academia), enjoy teaching.
Teaching is about 10% of what legal academia is about. Charitably.
TommyK wrote: publish stuff you're interested in as opposed to doing ridiculous research and writing stuff nobody will ever see for the first 3 years,
As opposed to stuff no one will ever see (i.e., the stuff academics spew out).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:43 pm

You wouldn't be okay with someone paying you $150k to write bs all day?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:46 pm

bk187 wrote:You wouldn't be okay with someone paying you $150k to write bs all day?

I won't say that you couldn't pay me enough to do that job, because that isn't true, but suffice to say I am not even putting feelers out for the academic market. I can't think of a more useless job.

DCDuck

Bronze

Post by DCDuck » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:46 pm

The pay is quite good for the work, you can live wherever there is a law school (as opposed to only the big markets for biglaw), once you get tenure you have incredible job security, the hours are much, much less than biglaw, and generally lower than a 9-5 job, and you get to spend most of your time researching and writing on stuff that interests you. Sounds pretty great to me. That's why it is so hard to become a prof.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:49 pm

Also, I just want to add: Producing legitimately good legal academic writing is actually quite hard. Most things that are worth writing about are preempted to death, etc. Writing about corporate law stuff requires a knowledge of economics and finance that most people getting law degrees don't command. Many articles these days involve knowing high-level math. And coming up with novel topics is hard.

This is not to say that I think the actual work that is produced is useful. There are exceptions - basically, some of the empirical articles are helpful and can even be transformative - but man, most of it is godawful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:03 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
TommyK wrote: publish stuff you're interested in as opposed to doing ridiculous research and writing stuff nobody will ever see for the first 3 years,
Regardless of its utility, the author is probably much more interested in the topic. This would drive significant enjoyment for a lot of people.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:06 pm

TommyK wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Regardless of its utility, the author is probably much more interested in the topic. This would drive significant enjoyment for a lot of people.
Oh I'm sure it does. I honestly wish that I could force myself to enjoy coming up with/writing articles. But I just.. yeah. Ugh.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:07 pm

It probably offers the best blend of work/life balance, compensation, job security, and interesting work of any job in the legal field, other than maybe judge (its a toss up).

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Tenured professors at top law schools make a comfortable 6-figure salary (Like, 200-300k or more). At other law schools, they still usually make a hefty sum. And, they're tenured, so there's that job security. They can research and write papers on obscure stuff no one really cares about but them and get a research budget so they can pay law students to do the boring things for them (this is coming from someone who has RA'd). They work comparatively lax hours so on a per hour basis, I'm sure they make far more than an associate at a big law firm, and don't hate themselves. They get to see their children, who actually know their names and acknowledge them as an important figure in their lives. They receive heartwarming and sentimental gifts from these children and they are aware of their children's likes, dislikes, and daily activities.

In exchange for this, they toss exams down a staircase twice a year and randomly assign grades, and teach a handful of obscure courses where they pontificate about their latest research interest. Some are unlucky enough to be assigned to teach 1L core classes like Contracts or Torts, and they so do begrudgingly.

A bit cynical, but academia is probably one of few avenues for happiness as a JD. A professor's idea of a bad day is not getting their usual parking spot and having to walk an extra minute.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bogart

Bronze

Post by bogart » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:00 pm

20 hour "work" week.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Money for nothin'

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:04 pm

But again... you have to churn out fucking terrible legal articles (after coming up with 'novel' ideas), and that's really, really awful. :?

Give me a DIP order any day over that.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:11 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:But again... you have to churn out fucking terrible legal articles (after coming up with 'novel' ideas), and that's really, really awful. :?

See, a lot of them actually like writing about arcane things that no one else cares about. No one reads the articles other than the poor kids on journals, so who cares what they write about?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:16 pm

NinerFan wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:But again... you have to churn out fucking terrible legal articles (after coming up with 'novel' ideas), and that's really, really awful. :?

See, a lot of them actually like writing about arcane things that no one else cares about. No one reads the articles other than the poor kids on journals, so who cares what they write about?
Yeah, to each their own. I get the jist, but I just become ill whenever I think of trying to write an article (or whenever I even try to think of a topic, for that matter).

I guess part of it is that i don't have the skills/knowledge in finance, empirics/stats, or math, to write anything I'd actually be interested in.
Last edited by ToTransferOrNot on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:17 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
NinerFan wrote:

Yeah, to each their own. I get the jist, but I just become ill whenever I think of trying to write an article (or whenever I even try to think of a topic, for that matter).
Well, picture that instead of having to write that paper for a class for a grade that will be determined subjectively, you're being paid a handsome 6 figure salary to do it, and you can make law students do all the b**** work for you. And, you can write it on anything that you want as long as it remotely relates to the law. Does that make it sound better?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:20 pm

NinerFan wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
NinerFan wrote:

Well, picture that instead of having to write that paper for a class for a grade that will be determined subjectively, you're being paid a handsome 6 figure salary to do it, and you can make law students do all the b**** work for you. And, you can write it on anything that you want as long as it remotely relates to the law. Does that make it sound better?
No :lol: I have enough downtime in my current job that I could write an article if I wanted to - and I have a non-note published as it stands - but I troll TLS instead because the idea of writing an article makes me ill :lol:

Anyway, not trying to detract from the thread or anything. I just think a lot of people think "I can write whatever BS I want!!" without realizing that writing about rando LR BS stuff sucks.

FUBAR

New

Post by FUBAR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:10 pm

It's all about the chicks man.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Eliyahu7

New

Post by Eliyahu7 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:20 pm

hotdogseller wrote:Hey guys, I was just wondering why exactly kids from top schools would choose to go into academia instead of big law. Is the compensation that great, or what other factors are at play?
Here is a question, why wouldn't they? You seem to imply that there is something inferior about the career path, correct me if I'm wrong.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:30 pm

the real question is, how would you sleep at night.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:31 pm

Eliyahu7 wrote:
hotdogseller wrote:Hey guys, I was just wondering why exactly kids from top schools would choose to go into academia instead of big law. Is the compensation that great, or what other factors are at play?
Here is a question, why wouldn't they? You seem to imply that there is something inferior about the career path, correct me if I'm wrong.
The money isn't as good. And, you know, some people who went to law school actually want to practice law.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:33 pm

You get to write intellectually masturbatory articles and get paid.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”