NU interview question Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hal20

New

NU interview question

Post by hal20 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:06 pm

I am currently working abroad and the closest off-campus interview place to me would cost quite a bit of money/time to get to but I could probably be there for a weekend in Nov/Dec. On the other hand, I will be home for winter break in January when I could schedule an interview in Chicago. How significantly would the later interview hurt my chances? I am already a pretty borderline candidate.

Thanks for the help!
Last edited by hal20 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Re: NU interview question

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:31 am

Yes, it would be hurting your chances, especially as a borderline candidate.

http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.co ... order=desc

SarahKerrigan

Bronze

Post by SarahKerrigan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:04 pm

I'm sure it also depends on how well you interview. If you normally kill it in interviews then it makes sense to spend the money, to push yourself over the edge. But if your as awkward as Michael Cera i'm sure it wouldn't be worth it! good luck!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:23 pm

See if you can do a Skype interview with an alumni. Whatever you do, try not to interview with the admissions people. Goddamn HR robots, it was the biggest waste of an hour and a half of my life.

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:28 pm

ahduth wrote:See if you can do a Skype interview with an alumni. Whatever you do, try not to interview with the admissions people. Goddamn HR robots, it was the biggest waste of an hour and a half of my life.
Really? I had an excellent experience there. I interviewed in the admissions office with an alum. She was really nice. And I was accepted within a couple of hours.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Make the effort to interview, or at least tell them you are out of the country but are really interested in interviewing. Ask if there would be an alum interview abroad (I don't know where you are, but who knows!). You can submit a request here: https://www.law.northwestern.edu/form/A ... y.cfm#form. Maybe they have alums nearby! You can also call/email the admissions office and explain your situation, and find out if there are any options like a phone/Skype interview.

I think showing interest at least is important, so they know you are trying despite being abroad. Try not to postpone it to Nov/Dec though as I fear it may hurt you. You should try to have your application complete asap since you are a borderline candidate.

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:11 am

ahduth wrote:See if you can do a Skype interview with an alumni. Whatever you do, try not to interview with the admissions people. Goddamn HR robots, it was the biggest waste of an hour and a half of my life.

Why do you say this? I interviewed with an adcom person and thought it was pretty decent. It was very much like a job interview. Are alum interviews more informal and more focused on interpersonal skills?

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:03 pm

kahechsof wrote:And I was accepted within a couple of hours.
A few hours later? Is that normal? Im assuming you were 175+ and 3.8+?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”