Having a pet in law school Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Blahh_Blahh

New

Having a pet in law school

Post by Blahh_Blahh » Tue May 24, 2011 2:17 am

I guess the answer to my question is not going to be clear-cut, but here goes. I wasn't sure where else to ask it.

I really want to get a kitten. My beloved old cat passed away the summer before my freshman year of college, and now that I've graduated, I want a new one. I'm taking a year off before going to law school so I'll be around to care for the kitten, but once I start law school in Fall '12, is it a good idea to have one?

Some people have advised me to wait until I'm out of law school or at least past 1L year, because the first year is going to be really stressful and having to care for a kitten might add to it. Obviously cats can be left alone for longer periods of time and require a bit less care than dogs, but maybe it's best to try to avoid ALL distractions. I'm also worried that having a kitten will limit my housing options... and it's pretty important to me to have options.

But yet, I really want a kitty. So even though there's no definitive answer, would you say it's best to wait to have a pet or should I go ahead and get one now?

Knock

Platinum

Re: Having a pet in law school

Post by Knock » Tue May 24, 2011 2:19 am

Blahh_Blahh wrote:I guess the answer to my question is not going to be clear-cut, but here goes. I wasn't sure where else to ask it.

I really want to get a kitten. My beloved old cat passed away the summer before my freshman year of college, and now that I've graduated, I want a new one. I'm taking a year off before going to law school so I'll be around to care for the kitten, but once I start law school in Fall '12, is it a good idea to have one?

Some people have advised me to wait until I'm out of law school or at least past 1L year, because the first year is going to be really stressful and having to care for a kitten might add to it. Obviously cats can be left alone for longer periods of time and require a bit less care than dogs, but maybe it's best to try to avoid ALL distractions. I'm also worried that having a kitten will limit my housing options... and it's pretty important to me to have options.

But yet, I really want a kitty. So even though there's no definitive answer, would you say it's best to wait to have a pet or should I go ahead and get one now?
Get one now! Plenty of law students including 1Ls have pets, you'll have time.
Last edited by Knock on Tue May 24, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

HyeMart

Bronze

Post by HyeMart » Tue May 24, 2011 2:20 am

a cat won't add any extra stress, it might help relieve some.

you might consider fostering if moving or the summer months is a problem for you.

WayBryson

Bronze

Post by WayBryson » Tue May 24, 2011 2:35 am

Erm, it's a cat, not a dog. It spends 80 percent of its life sleeping. Put food in the dish, water in the bowl, and change the litter every two days. You might consider getting two though. That way they have each other to play with when you are at class, e.g. it won't get bored and climb the curtains quite as often. I think you might be reading a little too much into the whole law school is super stressful thing ;-)

I wonder how many posts before this thread is populated with lolz cats inspired legal jokes?

Blahh_Blahh

New

Post by Blahh_Blahh » Tue May 24, 2011 2:40 am

Haha, I know caring for a cat is not too terribly time-consuming. The thing that is actually holding me back more is the whole housing issue. At my undergrad, practically all the apartments near campus do not allow pets. Are there still going to be a lot of options for housing with a pet? I might not be able to get on-campus housing, but I guess that's really not that much of a drawback.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Tue May 24, 2011 3:07 am

Blahh_Blahh wrote: Are there still going to be a lot of options for housing with a pet? I might not be able to get on-campus housing, but I guess that's really not that much of a drawback.
In terms of off-campus housing: I've actually lived in a number of major U.S. cities with my dog. The only place I have personally had trouble finding pet-friendly rentals is NYC. Otherwise I think most other cities will have good pet-friendly options. A lot of great pets are in need of a home out there, and so I hope it works out for you.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Tue May 24, 2011 4:04 am

I wouldn't worry about the stress part; I think it is as likely to help your stress as it is to hurt it. The determining factor here is whether you can find acceptable housing that is ok with pets.

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Tue May 24, 2011 5:28 am

I would not say 1L is the ideal time to get a new pet, but if you have a pet, there is no reason you can't keep it. That said, cats are lower maintenance than dogs, but I don't know how common it is for them to get bored and cause problems when left alone a lot. I'm also not sure if kittens need more attention than adult cats early on.

The cat may not be allowed in student housing, but I think few places off-campus will have restrictions on them. You might have to pay a pet deposit. It's much more common for places to have an outright ban or weight limit with dogs.

Keep in mind any pet will need shots, vet visits once or twice a year, decent food, and a few other things, so be sure any expenses won't be a problem for you. If you do get a cat, definitely adopt one from a local humane society and avoid the pet stores.

angua

Bronze

Post by angua » Thu May 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Kittens do need a lot more attention when they are young. I got my two -- brother and sister -- when they were abandoned in a neighbor's backyard at ~3 weeks, and it was at least another two or three months before they were really okay to be left alone for a few hours at a time. It can negatively impact socialization if you isolate them when they're too young. (Then again, mine were feral, so they in particular required lots of extra work.)

I would strongly, strongly suggest getting a 9 mo. or even 1 or 2 year old cat instead of a kitten. They are much more in need of adoption, they already have well-developed personalities by that age, and they are a lot mellower, requiring less intensive caregiving. PetFinder is full of amazing "teenage" cats. With a 1L schedule, it might be a great fit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu May 26, 2011 7:46 pm

See if you can find a cheap place that doesn't have hilariously expensive pet charges, then get one.

nphsbuckeye

Bronze

Post by nphsbuckeye » Thu May 26, 2011 7:54 pm

Get a Shepherd.

jrwhitedog

New

Post by jrwhitedog » Sat May 28, 2011 5:23 am

So how about dogs?

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Sat May 28, 2011 5:54 am

jrwhitedog wrote:So how about dogs?
If you have a dog and have had it for a while, sure. You'll run into more housing issues, but if you're a dog person then you already know that. Otherwise, do not get a new dog, and especially do not get a new puppy, during 1L. Maybe if someone else is around to take care of and play with the dog all the time; housetrain it; take it for walks, etc., then it might be ok. But if it's just you, then you're begging to have an unhappy dog who will take its unhappiness out on you, your stuff, and your neighbors when you don't have enough time to spend with it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

choochoo

Bronze

Post by choochoo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:22 am

Get a kitty! (or two!) It might limit your housing options (both places allowing pets and roommates that are ok with a cat) and it will increase your rent, but if you live alone, they will definitely make you less lonely and help you relieve stress. Just beware that the kitten will be all over your law books and computer :) And if you aren't from the area where your school is, it might make it more difficult to go out of town (ex: winter break)

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:41 am

I've been thinking of getting a kitten or two as well. My only concern is the extra expense. As far as stress goes, I think it'd be a stress-reliever to come home to two little fluff balls and have playtime and just a break from thinking about school.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:13 am

rad law wrote:See if you can find a cheap place that doesn't have hilariously expensive pet charges, then get one.
This.

I have a cat. Dunno how I would have made it through the year without him. They are really easy to take care of, and I was able to find an apartment (a lot of them, actually) that allow cats. A lot of apartments are cats only, so it isn't too hard to find one that allows one. If you're worried about not being around enough, just study at your apartment. There's nothing that says you have to be at school 24/7. And even if you "treat law school like a job" or whatever and stay at school from 9-6, your cat will be fine being alone for that time.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:16 am

How can you say no to this????

And then he turned into this.... which is still pretty awesome

Get the cat

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:20 am

I have a dog. I will say that as long as the pet is healthy and happy- and you are able to give some time to it, and you can find reasonable living places that don cost a ton for a pet then do it. Pets are a great stress reliever and as long as you are good to them they will give you their undivided love and affection. however- please remember that while you will get 8-10 years of utter joy and happiness, it is a responsibility and something that you cant neglect. and when they do get sick- it can get expensive fast ( and messy as well).

if you are planning on starting in a year- get the kitty now so that you can litter box train it and be there for it during its super needy stage.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:34 am

Thread is TLDR, but I'm sure people are advocating dogs ITT and I want to join them. Trade your cat for a dog. Dog + Law School = doesn't suck as hard.

bmp

New

Post by bmp » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:00 pm

I have 2 dogs and a cat! I am not in law school yet but I don't see why you wouldn't get a kitten. They are huge stress relievers (most of the time).. and comfort you when you are down and out. I say get one.

Gizmo

New

Post by Gizmo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:22 pm

Get a domesticated duck.
http://www.eFowl.com

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:40 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”