Patent Litigation with biochemistry degree Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
risktaker

Silver

Patent Litigation with biochemistry degree

Post by risktaker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:32 pm

I have asked this question a few times, but have not got a straightforward response. I would like to work in patent litigation if I decide to go to law school. Is working in patent litigation possible with a biochemistry degree only? I have very little work experience in biochem field besides manufacturing, which is just filling test tubes with cells, so I doubt this helps in terms of experience in the field. I need a good answer to this question because my decision to go to law school rests on this question. If my chances of practicing patent litigation after law school are slim to none, I will have to consider choosing a different field to go into. Thanks in advance.

risktaker

Silver

Re: Patent Litigation with biochemistry degree

Post by risktaker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:15 pm

bump. Can someone please add any info if they have any on this topic?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:18 pm

Are you sure you're not interested in maritime law?

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:46 pm

If you can't be helpful, please don't comment.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:48 pm

risktaker wrote:If you can't be helpful, please don't comment.
Aye aye, Captain!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:53 pm

risktaker wrote:I have asked this question a few times, but have not got a straightforward response. I would like to work in patent litigation if I decide to go to law school. Is working in patent litigation possible with a biochemistry degree only? I have very little work experience in biochem field besides manufacturing, which is just filling test tubes with cells, so I doubt this helps in terms of experience in the field. I need a good answer to this question because my decision to go to law school rests on this question. If my chances of practicing patent litigation after law school are slim to none, I will have to consider choosing a different field to go into. Thanks in advance.
if that's the only thing you would consider going for (and wtf why) then you probably shouldn't. there are lots of people looking for IP these days with as strong/stronger backgrounds for patent. i'd guess 20% of my section at NU are saying they want to do patent lit.

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:58 pm

The reason I want to do patent is because I did get a biochemistry degree, which was a pain in the ass and I would prefer to be able to use it. I would also consider immigration law, but patent litigation is something that I would love.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:14 am

risktaker wrote:The reason I want to do patent is because I did get a biochemistry degree, which was a pain in the ass and I would prefer to be able to use it. I would also consider immigration law, but patent litigation is something that I would love.
(1) From my understanding, just a bachelor's probably isn't going to get you very far with biotech/pharma.

(2) Patent lit doesn't necessarily require a technical background (helpful but not required); patent prosecution does require a technical background.

(3) Don't enter law school so dead set on one practice area. You don't know much about law as a 0L and you don't know what areas will interest you until you're exposed to them.

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:22 am

Thanks for your reply vamedic. I will heed your advice and try to keep an open mind regarding which area of law I would like to practice in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:29 am

vamedic03 wrote: (3) Don't enter law school so dead set on one practice area. You don't know much about law as a 0L and you don't know what areas will interest you until you're exposed to them.
this is good advice. i came into law school with only intention to do patent lit. but noa i want to work in BIG CONSTRUCTION LAW. and my favorite class is con law.

my point: u dunno wat u gonna like until u try it.

advice: keep options and ur mind open.

question for you: do you have biochem work experience?

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:35 am

I have very little volunteer experience for a couple months with a professor and the rest of my work experience related to biotech is on the manufacturing side, not in R&D.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:41 am

dood wrote:
vamedic03 wrote: (3) Don't enter law school so dead set on one practice area. You don't know much about law as a 0L and you don't know what areas will interest you until you're exposed to them.
this is good advice.
+1

I have a bio UG degree, a decent amount of paid lab experience, and I went into law school hoping to do patent litigation. None of the patent firms were interested in hiring me, despite the fact that my grades are solid and I attend a T20. Prior to LS, I didn't really understand how legal hiring works, and I had to broaden my perspective a bit when I realized that my UG major just isn't that useful for legal work.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:07 pm

JazzOne wrote:Are you sure you're not interested in maritime law?
You're... a... crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!

More seriously though, are you even sure you understand what Patent Litigation entails? If your thought process so far consists of "I did this technical degree, were can I use it in law? Oh hey, patent lit involves technical things!" then I might suggest doing a little more research.

That said, with just an UG degree in Biochem, it is going to be hard for you to get hired. Not impossible, but you are going to be competing with other Biochem people who all have masters or PhDs. And I hope you like Pharma, because that is the area that hires the biochem people.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”