Need for nurse attorneys? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
starbuck81

New

Need for nurse attorneys?

Post by starbuck81 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Hi Everyone,

Currently an R.N., receiving my BSN next December. Would really like to go to law school and specialize in health care law. Do you think there is a need for these type of attorneys? Or a market for health care law? I know with the economy and everything, jobs are scarce. I thought with my medical experience/law experience I would be a good fit for a firm. I just wanted your opinions. My GPA is almost a 3.7 now. I'm a non-trad student, 29 and married with 2 children. Let me know

Platinum

Re: Need for nurse attorneys?

Post by 2014 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:46 am

One could easily make the argument that with the rise in health care related jobs, that a rise in legal jobs related to the industry would be pretty highly correlated. It all depends on whether you can find work with the right firm though or are entrepreneurial enough to go the independent route and market yourself.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:00 am

FWIW, you would be very much in demand in PI/med malpractice practices. However, not many people go to law school seeking to enter this practice area.

Edit: To answer your question directly, there is definitely a market for health care focused lawyers, even beyond what is described above.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:47 am

Sure, there is a need for healthcare lawyers, but nobody will be breaking your door down to hire you because you are an RN. The law school you attend and your grades will be much more important than anything else. The job market for attorneys is significantly worse than for nurses these days.

If you decide to go to law school, keep in mind that this is a 180 degree career change. You start from scratch.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:09 pm

nealric wrote:Sure, there is a need for healthcare lawyers, but nobody will be breaking your door down to hire you because you are an RN. The law school you attend and your grades will be much more important than anything else. The job market for attorneys is significantly worse than for nurses these days.

If you decide to go to law school, keep in mind that this is a 180 degree career change. You start from scratch.
This is credited. This is not like Patent Law, where you need the background and so become more marketable if you have it. Anyone can do health care law. Firms will probably like your background, sure, but it is not going to get you a job if you are borderline on the grades/school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”