I am going to law school because... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

I am going to law school because

I want to help people
7%
I want to defend those who cannot defend themselves
6%
I care about the issues of others
8%
All of the above
22%
I'm greedy and selfish and only care about the money
58%

Total votes: 292

jmhendri

Silver

Re: I am going to law school because...

Post by jmhendri » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:13 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:I'm going to law school to make as much money as possible. Get off your high horse.
you'll make more money when you quit to become a televangelist.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:37 pm

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:18 pm

bdubs wrote:If you are going to law school to help people, you could save yourself a ton of money by not going. There are much more effective and less costly ways to help people directly. There are ways that lawyers can help people, but it is not the primary function of the vast majority of lawyers.
There is a wealth of truth in this.

I want to be a lawyer to bankrupt people and make them see suicide as a viable alternative.

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:14 am

jmhendri wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:I'm going to law school to make as much money as possible. Get off your high horse.
you'll make more money when you quit to become a televangelist.
Sorry, I don't have any charisma :o I need the best paper-pushing job the world can offer.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:21 am

it's a job...in an area that i am interested in and that i believe would be intellectually stimulating...i guess thats the last option on the poll? lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:22 am

DoubleChecks wrote:it's a job...in an area that i am interested in and that i believe would be intellectually stimulating...i guess thats the last option on the poll? lol
+1

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:19 am

I'm going to law school to be rich as f**k

Dripworx

Bronze

Post by Dripworx » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:10 am

I want to make a decent living, yes I want to live comfortably. No I don't need models&bottles (but I sure as shit wouldn't turn it down lol), but in this country if your not a professional, you are nothing. I know thats a bit extreme but face it, the chances of making a comfortable living by the standards of our time, you need to be either a professional or lil wayne.

I actually would like to help people, If anything, the greedy part might not be so much about the money for me, but more-so for the power of being able to say things like "Im an attorney and you can pretty much go fuck yourself unless you want an ugly day in court"

Just my thoughts :D

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:38 am

Some people want to be like Mike. I want to be like Mike's Lawyer. :wink:

I am a black man, and, for as much as the law tends to work against black men, we should all friggin be lawyers! I want to be able to tell people I'm a lawyer. In our community, that's still a symbol of prestige. And, although most people see lawyers as slime :evil: , whites look at black lawyers with respect. Rightly or wrongly, they get this look on their faces like, "At least you're not a gang-banger or drug dealer :roll: . Good for you! Glad to see a black man who actually tries to do something with his life. Can I buy you a cup of coffee?" :)

You know the myth: "Either ya slangin' Crack rock, or ya got a wicked jump shot..."

How do I know this? Because I get it now and I'm still a full week away from beginning law school. Being a black, male lawyer opens doors like you can't even fathom. Just being a black, male lawyer is like being a white lawyer from Harvard. So, how much ass (or ass-kissing) do you think a black, male lawyer from Harvard gets? I can only imagine... :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:50 am

False dichotomy.

Do I win the thread? This was a test, right?

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:54 am

PDaddy wrote:Some people want to be like Mike. I want to be like Mike's Lawyer. :wink:

I am a black man, and, for as much as the law tends to work against black men, we should all friggin be lawyers! I want to be able to tell people I'm a lawyer. In our community, that's still a symbol of prestige. And, although most people see lawyers as slime :evil: , whites look at black lawyers with respect. Rightly or wrongly, they get this look on their faces like, "At least you're not a gang-banger or drug dealer :roll: . Good for you! Glad to see a black man who actually tries to do something with his life. Can I buy you a cup of coffee?" :)

You know the myth: "Either ya slangin' Crack rock, or ya got a wicked jump shot..."

How do I know this? Because I get it now and I'm still a full week away from beginning law school. Being a black, male lawyer opens doors like you can't even fathom. Just being a black, male lawyer is like being a white lawyer from Harvard. So, how much ass (or ass-kissing) do you think a black, male lawyer from Harvard gets? I can only imagine... :)
are you high?

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:56 am

PDaddy wrote:How do I know this? Because I get it now and I'm still a full week away from beginning law school. Being a black, male lawyer opens doors like you can't even fathom. Just being a black, male lawyer is like being a white lawyer from Harvard. So, how much ass (or ass-kissing) do you think a black, male lawyer from Harvard gets? I can only imagine... :)
You get to be the President of the United States! :D

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:04 am

I hate to tell you OP, but any type of practice helps someone. Even corporate litigation is helping a business owner. You may not think so until you own a business and get sued.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:25 pm

PDaddy wrote:So, how much ass (or ass-kissing) do you think a black, male lawyer from Harvard gets? I can only imagine... :)
trust me, it ain't all its cracked up to be.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:09 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
PDaddy wrote:How do I know this? Because I get it now and I'm still a full week away from beginning law school. Being a black, male lawyer opens doors like you can't even fathom. Just being a black, male lawyer is like being a white lawyer from Harvard. So, how much ass (or ass-kissing) do you think a black, male lawyer from Harvard gets? I can only imagine... :)
You get to be the President of the United States! :D

lol!!!!

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:42 pm

booyakasha wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Some people want to be like Mike. I want to be like Mike's Lawyer. :wink:

are you high?

That's not so much a myth as it is a Biggie Smalls lyric. And one could say that being a lawyer is a more-mainstream, less-illegal method of slinging crack rock.

OP per the above post, I think you should add "the possibility of having my ass-kissed" and "indiscriminate amounts of coffee" to the poll list.

If / when you do, I choose the former. And helping people. Because they're pretty similar.

CaptainCrunch

New

Post by CaptainCrunch » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:58 pm

All of the above. It would be an honor to help the poor and downtrodden as well as make a good deal of money. Personally, I would like to make a lot of money to donate to worthy causes.

I believe psychological studies have shown us that one of the best ways to feel good about yourself is to live altruistically.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:00 pm

No option for "Because I don't have many better options."

inekela

New

Post by inekela » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:40 pm

... being a SAH mom is the most boring thing in the world (to me), and I got a full ride to a T1? Plus I like to wear suits and heels. And argue.

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:01 pm

SBL wrote:No option for "Because I don't have many better options."
Yeah, I looked for the "I was sick of retail" option, but I couldn't find it.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:17 pm

There is nothing more inherently noble about helping those that can't pay over those who can.

To say otherwise would be tantamount to saying that the poor are somehow worth more than everyone else.

I look forward to helping my clients. I also look forward to getting paid for doing so. If I ever take a pro-bono case or work for a public interest organization it will be so that I can help preserve some freedom that I also benefit from. Selfishness is a good thing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:22 pm

booyakasha wrote:

are you retarded?

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:29 pm

capitalacq wrote:
booyakasha wrote:

are you retarded?

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:31 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
booyakasha wrote:

are you high?

That's not so much a myth as it is a Biggie Smalls lyric. And one could say that being a lawyer is a more-mainstream, less-illegal method of slinging crack rock.

OP per the above post, I think you should add "the possibility of having my ass-kissed" and "indiscriminate amounts of coffee" to the poll list.

If / when you do, I choose the former. And helping people. Because they're pretty similar.
I'm clearly talking about the entirety of the post, but thank you for that.

gdh

New

Post by gdh » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:41 pm

Money is nice but where's the option for fame and power? How great would it be to have a class-action infomercial?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”