Is it worth it? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
splitterhopeful

New

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by splitterhopeful » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:53 am

romothesavior wrote:
Z3RO wrote:I have a philosophy degree from a state school, so I feel your pain.

You can make a decent living wage by temping as a Customer Service Rep. It's not exactly glamorous, but you can pay down that 10k in credit card debts, which should be your absolute first priority before talking about anything else.
Yeah how has this not been mentioned? You are a recent college grad with 10k of credit card debt?
Yes, I know that is priority #1. I am obviously applying for fall '11 admission to law school, so I am planning on working on that for the next year.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:54 am

splitterhopeful wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

You can make a decent living wage by temping as a Customer Service Rep. It's not exactly glamorous, but you can pay down that 10k in credit card debts, which should be your absolute first priority before talking about anything else.
Yeah how has this not been mentioned? You are a recent college grad with 10k of credit card debt?
Yes, I know that is priority #1. I am obviously applying for fall '11 admission to law school, so I am planning on working on that for the next year.
Retake. Get in the 170s. ED to Northwestern.

splitterhopeful

New

Post by splitterhopeful » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:56 am

romothesavior wrote:
splitterhopeful wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Retake. Get in the 170s. ED to Northwestern.
Will do.

However, I do not want to end up in Chicago/the midwest. I'd much rather stay in the SE. Would Northwestern be portable to my home state of North Carolina/the rest of the south? I am assuming as a T-14 that it would.
Last edited by splitterhopeful on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:57 am

The OP wrote: English because I was completely oblivious to the realities of professional employment, and I enjoyed reading and writing essays about literature and philosophy.
Generally, people do english to teach. That is probably your only real option right now. Or go get your masters in journalism and try to take that avenue. Otherwise, you just have to do an analysis of the risk-reward that is a law school you could get in to. But I would also suggest a retake.[/quote]

I suggest that if you would like your future to look brighter, to not go into journalism.

As an aside - I'm not convinced you have to go back and get another bachelors degree to get a job in IT. If you're interested in hardware / networking, look into picking up your CCNA or another Cisco certification. This should put you in line for a job that pays low-40's, or at least that's what we were paying for entry level people 2 years ago. Not sure what the market looks like now. If you want to get a job in software development, it may be a little bit more challenging, but IT is one of those fields that I don't think relies too much on degrees, so much as proven technical expertise and current certifications & training. If you end up digging that field and are open to travel, you can make some seriously solid money down the road. You could get into network security and you could be looking at 6 figures several years down the road.

Ugh, I hate ending two sentences with the same phrase.

splitterhopeful

New

Post by splitterhopeful » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:09 am

TommyK wrote:
The OP wrote: English because I was completely oblivious to the realities of professional employment, and I enjoyed reading and writing essays about literature and philosophy.
Generally, people do english to teach. That is probably your only real option right now. Or go get your masters in journalism and try to take that avenue. Otherwise, you just have to do an analysis of the risk-reward that is a law school you could get in to. But I would also suggest a retake.
I suggest that if you would like your future to look brighter, to not go into journalism.

As an aside - I'm not convinced you have to go back and get another bachelors degree to get a job in IT. If you're interested in hardware / networking, look into picking up your CCNA or another Cisco certification. This should put you in line for a job that pays low-40's, or at least that's what we were paying for entry level people 2 years ago. Not sure what the market looks like now. If you want to get a job in software development, it may be a little bit more challenging, but IT is one of those fields that I don't think relies too much on degrees, so much as proven technical expertise and current certifications & training. If you end up digging that field and are open to travel, you can make some seriously solid money down the road. You could get into network security and you could be looking at 6 figures several years down the road.

Ugh, I hate ending two sentences with the same phrase.[/quote]

CCNA? Interesting. $250 instead of thousands for a degree, but all the jobs I see in my area with a quick search are not entry level or also require a computer-related BS/MS. Fun times!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:12 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:The wild speculation and sweeping generalizations made on this board by those with no personal experience are somewhere between humorous and troubling.
Please elaborate. I see very little "wild speculation" or "sweeping generalizations" ITT.
to be fair, my gpa comment was a sweeping generalization. i was reading into OP's tone and didn't see much interest in the law itself, but more on the money.
C'mon, lets not be so naive and think that this isn't the majority of peoples motivation...

Very few people just LOVE the law. I could get a SA position with my federal agency almost for sure after undergrad (and for sure if I stayed and worked there during my masters), but I rather have more upward mobility in income.
You probably shouldn't go to law school. Well I will agree with you that there are a lot of people going to law school only to make money, there are also a lot of miserable lawyers. This is why. Besides, as many will attest, Law is a terrible way to make money anyway. Too much debt and lost income to justify it. Even if you do get rich, you won't be happy working big law if you don't want to be do law!

OP, you too shouldn't go to law school if money is your primary concern. There are other ways to get out of debt, including getting a full time job (you have to be working part time to be pulling in 13k). You are young with no kids (right...?) so you will be fine. Have you considered a teaching certificate? Don't throw away three years of your life to something that doesn't interest you on the promise of riches.

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:13 am

Does anybody have that law school decision chart? If I remember correctly, it was pretty helpful.

splitterhopeful

New

Post by splitterhopeful » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:18 am

OP, you too shouldn't go to law school if money is your primary concern. There are other ways to get out of debt, including getting a full time job (you have to be working part time to be pulling in 13k). You are young with no kids (right...?) so you will be fine. Have you considered a teaching certificate? Don't throw away three years of your life to something that doesn't interest you on the promise of riches.
Yes, thank God I am (almost) 24 and (definitely) kid-free.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:21 am

legalease9 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Please elaborate. I see very little "wild speculation" or "sweeping generalizations" ITT.
to be fair, my gpa comment was a sweeping generalization. i was reading into OP's tone and didn't see much interest in the law itself, but more on the money.
C'mon, lets not be so naive and think that this isn't the majority of peoples motivation...

Very few people just LOVE the law. I could get a SA position with my federal agency almost for sure after undergrad (and for sure if I stayed and worked there during my masters), but I rather have more upward mobility in income.
You probably shouldn't go to law school. Well I will agree with you that there are a lot of people going to law school only to make money, there are also a lot of miserable lawyers. This is why. Besides, as many will attest, Law is a terrible way to make money anyway. Too much debt and lost income to justify it. Even if you do get rich, you won't be happy working big law if you don't want to be do law!

Well, I want to do something related to the legal system for sure, I don't mind working long hours (the SA's in at my agency work 60 hours a week for sure), and I should likely have very little debt no matter what school I go to (dead grandparents bonds ftw). And I've already decided that i'm t-14 13 or bust. So I think I'm ok. But thanks for the quintessintial stupid argument that is "don't do something unless you woke up at 5 years old wanting to do it".
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:22 am

There actually IS work out there for graduates of less-than-stellar law schools. Last Sunday's Albuquerque Journal ran a piece about legal hiring in New Mexico that suggested that there's still room in most of the state (outside Santa Fe, that is). In my own experience of 25 years practicing law here, I think that the report is substantially correct. Few jobs of any sort in New Mexico start out with six figure salaries but the cost of living is quite low. You can read the piece online.

I'm not suggesting that all the unemployed J.D.s in the country should descend on our poor state! Most of the jobs seem to start at around $50,000 with full benefits; that's probably not attractive enough to make a hardened New Yorker up stakes and come out here. Some public sector positions advertise as low as $36,000 but I doubt anyone actually pays that little. I'd guess that $45,000 with benefits is the least anyone starts at.

Anyway...before deciding whether law school is worth it, the student should take a close look at the markets where he might be willing to live. It isn't uniform across the country.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:22 am

theantiscalia wrote:Does anybody have that law school decision chart? If I remember correctly, it was pretty helpful.
I'd like to see this too.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:33 am

IT is actually a good suggestion.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:36 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
legalease9 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Well, I want to do something related to the legal system for sure, I don't mind working long hours (the SA's in at my agency work 60 hours a week for sure), and I should likely have very little debt no matter what school I go to (dead grandparents bonds ftw). And I've already decided that i'm t-14 or bust. So I think I'm ok. But thanks for the quintessintial stupid argument that is "don't do something unless you woke up at 5 years old wanting to do it".
:lol: Did I say you had to wake up at 5 years old wanting to do it? I don't think I knew what a lawyer was at 5!

I said that if you, now, at this point in your life, are only working toward a JD for the money, the result will likely be misery, and perhaps more debt than "upward mobility of income." In light of your inheritance and T14 or bust mentality, I will drop the latter. But not the former. This is still a terrible way to make money.

By the way, I don't have anything against money being ones primary goal in life. That's fine. I'm just telling you to go to business school. More raw money will come of an MBA than a JD. Plus its easier schooling.

And I'm not trying to lecture you. It's your decision of course. I just don't find your "Lets not be naive..." comment to be good advice for others.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:44 am

When I was five, I wanted to be a dinosaur... I still kinda' do, actually.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:05 pm

TommyK wrote:When I was five, I wanted to be a dinosaur... I still kinda' do, actually.
Hell yeah! That would be cool!

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:09 pm

More concerning: taking advice from someone with 4,000+ posts in 1 year.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:21 pm

HazelEyes wrote:More concerning: taking advice from someone with 4,000+ posts in 1 year.
yeah i hate taking advice from people who know what they're talking about. takes the fun out of it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:27 pm

HazelEyes wrote:More concerning: taking advice from someone with 4,000+ posts in 1 year.

+1, I have to wonder what exactly is going on in Romo's life? Does he have a job, any friends..... I mean it's getting a little bit ridiculous. Pretty sad

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Romo has an e-life and that is all that counts.

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:55 pm

IAFG wrote:
yeah i hate taking advice from people who know what they're talking about. takes the fun out of it.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:56 pm

Mods please lock this thread. It has turned into a romo-bashing thread. :(

And ban waterman for the 50th time while you're at it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Oh snap! I just realized your name is ROMO the savior. This whole time (since like December) I thought your name was ROMEO the savior. Now that I think about it, Romo makes more sense. Haha.

I wont bash you as a person, but I will bash Tony Romo as a quarterback. He sucks! To use TLS slang, he's so TTT. Haha. Not at the YHS level like Brett Favre and Peyton Manning.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:19 pm

gdane5 wrote:Oh snap! I just realized your name is ROMO the savior. This whole time (since like December) I thought your name was ROMEO the savior. Now that I think about it, Romo makes more sense. Haha.

I wont bash you as a person, but I will bash Tony Romo as a quarterback. He sucks! To use TLS slang, he's so TTT. Haha. Not at the YHS level like Brett Favre and Peyton Manning.
Okay now this guy is definitely crossing the line! Mods? Lock? Or maybe one of your vodoo thread vanish moves?

:lol:

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:33 pm

legalease9 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
legalease9 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Well, I want to do something related to the legal system for sure, I don't mind working long hours (the SA's in at my agency work 60 hours a week for sure), and I should likely have very little debt no matter what school I go to (dead grandparents bonds ftw). And I've already decided that i'm t-14 or bust. So I think I'm ok. But thanks for the quintessintial stupid argument that is "don't do something unless you woke up at 5 years old wanting to do it".
:lol: Did I say you had to wake up at 5 years old wanting to do it? I don't think I knew what a lawyer was at 5!

I said that if you, now, at this point in your life, are only working toward a JD for the money, the result will likely be misery, and perhaps more debt than "upward mobility of income." In light of your inheritance and T14 or bust mentality, I will drop the latter. But not the former. This is still a terrible way to make money.

By the way, I don't have anything against money being ones primary goal in life. That's fine. I'm just telling you to go to business school. More raw money will come of an MBA than a JD. Plus its easier schooling.

And I'm not trying to lecture you. It's your decision of course. I just don't find your "Lets not be naive..." comment to be good advice for others.
Ok, so I was a bit aggressive. Sorry for that. But I do often hear these arguments about if it's not for the love of the law it's not for you. I'm also not talking about getting rich, just about the ability to make more. Basically, where I work now, the SA's all will, at some point in their career, making around 100,000. Nothing more than that is guaranteed. And the max is around 150,000. This is very good money and I would be fine with that. But I would likely, at some point in my career as a lawyer, make more than 100,000. And the max earning potential is going to be higher than that. So if I like the jobs equal, it makes more sense to go to law school.

If all I cared about was money, I would work for my dad and take over his business when he retired. I would without a doubt make 200,000+ in salary for most of my life if I did that.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:42 pm

HazelEyes wrote:
IAFG wrote:
You've got neither

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”