chances of making to a top tier law school... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
awoken_soul

New

chances of making to a top tier law school...

Post by awoken_soul » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:40 am

I've been trying to find posts regarding the difference undergrad schools make in determining the admission process at top tier law schools, T20. I am attending University of Arkansas at little rock and its not even on the US ranking, but I am doing very well in all my courses so far. I am a double major in history and philosophy. With a very high LSAT score (suppose 168-174) and a GPA of 3.4-3.7, would the ranking of my school affect my admission?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: chances of making to a top tier law school...

Post by kalvano » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:45 am

It doesn't matter at all unless you are looking at Yale or Stanford, and even then it's my understanding it's pretty far down on the list of important stuff.

GPA is what matters, not where it came from.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:47 am

Law schools don't really care where you went to UG. Some people suggest that the very top law schools (Yale, Harvard, Stanford) look favorably upon elite UGs. However, if you didn't go to an ivy and you didn't get your degree online it's all pretty much the same. The conventional wisdom goes something like this:

Elite Undergrads (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, so on and so forth) -- small boost in admissions especially at the top law schools

Everything else -- no one cares, they just look at your GPA. It won't hurt you but doesn't help either.

University of Phoenix and other such faux-college crap -- raises eyebrows and probably hurts your chances

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:51 am

Sometimes adcomms will look at the avg LSAT of your schools test takers to make sense of your GPA, but that's about it. Honestly, it really doesn't matter, as long as it's not Univ. of Phnx. (and even then, you'll probably have only a bit of a discount). The LSAT school comparison sometimes kicks in when an ad comm is comparing somebody who went to say... Cornell and got a 3.8 and someone who went to university of west central north mississippi and got a 3.8;

USNews doesn't care where the reported GPAs come from, so either do the committees. Which is kind of sad.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:52 am

I almost forgot...

If reading this made you think "Well that's kind of fucked up, I should have just gone to a crappy college full of stupid students, majored in something pointless but easy, and waltzed into a 4.0" then you just realized how to win at law school admissions a couple of years too late for it to make a difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:53 am

KibblesAndVick wrote:I almost forgot...

If reading this made you think "Well that's kind of fucked up, I should have just gone to a crappy college full of stupid students, majored in something pointless but easy, and waltzed into a 4.0" then you just realized how to win at law school admissions a couple of years too late for it to make a difference.
TITCR. WIN WIN WIN.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:56 am

Your chances will not be hurt at all. Undergrad institution doesn't matter; there is absolutely no difference in the way someone from Cornell and the way someone from Cardinal Direction State University is treated in terms of admissions. Even with people of exactly the same LSAT and GPA there are at least a half-dozen other factors that law schools will use to differentiate between those candidates before they even consider their undergrad institution (URM/PS/LORs/WE/extra-curriculars/community service/non-URM diversity/level of interest/etc.)

osmlpz

New

Post by osmlpz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:01 pm

Comment of the year.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:06 pm

Also, you are likely to have some of your peers making snide comments about where you went to college and acting superior because they didn't go to state, but just bear in mind that they are grappling with severe inadequacy issues coupled with crushing undergraduate debt because they went to an obscenely expensive university in the (frustrated) hope that its name would be an instant panty-dropper in business and social circles.

Be proud of where you went to college, and don't let anyone convince you that it is in some way inferior or that you are in some way less deserving because of where you went.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pandorasfox

New

Post by pandorasfox » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:09 pm

+1, also LMAO

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Get a GPA and LSAT score and come back to us.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:Get a GPA and LSAT score and come back to us.
well played, sir. I'mma just follow you around TLS for some :lol:

awoken_soul

New

Post by awoken_soul » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:18 pm

thank you everyone...Believe me I will work my ass off to make it in this country. Being a son of an immigrant family I remind myself of my work ethics lol. Thanks again everyone.Yes I will be back next year on this forums until then let me study hard!

Montevillian

Bronze

Post by Montevillian » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:17 pm

Sorry to bump this, but, for real, considering your other board saying that you practically failed out of community college, I don't think the prestige of your undergraduate school will matter in the slightest, not that it would terribly regardless, obviously, but you shouldn't get your hopes that high considering your past grades.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”