Is a JD the best thing? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bakerbaker

New

Is a JD the best thing?

Post by bakerbaker » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:50 pm

The last year and a half, I've been preparing for Law School because I'm interested in the kind of work lawyers do. But tbh, it was also partly because I lacked a concrete direction since graduating from college. I took the LSAT, applied, and have heard back from most of my schools and am probably going to decide between UVA, W&M, and Notre Dame. I was WL'd at most of my other top choices.

While asking myself which school was really worth it, I realized I had to ask myself if LS was even worth it.

So here are the questions I've been thinking about. If anyone has any insight/guidance, that would be appreciated.

1. I'm not too concerned with my future paycheck, but I do want to live comfortably. With the recent layoffs and the increase in enrollment will this be less possible than say a lot of other fields?
2. I want to work with creative companies (design / media/publishing) around trademarks and copyrights and similar IP related work. However, since my degree is in economics and art history, it seems like I wouldn't be competitive without a patent license. Is that pretty much the case?
3. I don't really know much about the law (not a poli sci, phil., or hist. major and never worked at a law firm). Could I even do remotely well? It just seems that the majority of the people on this forum are or have been involved with the legal industry either in their studies or work.
3. This may sound silly too, but after talking to a lot of lawyers, I don't know if i fit the required personality profile. I'm a guy who bakes, watches 90s TV show reruns, and knits in my free time. (I do realize I'll probably need to kick my TV habit, but I can deal with that). I'm just not what I picture a lawyer to be. But I can see myself enjoying the work itself. What type of person does well in school and as a lawyer?

Anyway, if anyone has any insight to these questions, thanks so much!

jmaan

Bronze

Re: Is a JD the best thing?

Post by jmaan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:56 pm

flame?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:00 pm

I'm going to qualify this by saying: I'm a 1L, I don't know all that much about IP, I'm pretty chill in the relative scheme of things, and I'm in the middle of writing something. But...

bakerbaker wrote:The last year and a half, I've been preparing for Law School because I'm interested in the kind of work lawyers do. But tbh, it was also partly because I lacked a concrete direction since graduating from college. I took the LSAT, applied, and have heard back from most of my schools and am probably going to decide between UVA, W&M, and Notre Dame. I was WL'd at most of my other top choices.

While asking myself which school was really worth it, I realized I had to ask myself if LS was even worth it.

So here are the questions I've been thinking about. If anyone has any insight/guidance, that would be appreciated.

1. I'm not too concerned with my future paycheck, but I do want to live comfortably. With the recent layoffs and the increase in enrollment will this be less possible than say a lot of other fields?
You'll probably be fine assuming you're not just in it for a fatty paycheck.
bakerbaker wrote:2. I want to work with creative companies (design / media/publishing) around trademarks and copyrights and similar IP related work. However, since my degree is in economics and art history, it seems like I wouldn't be competitive without a patent license. Is that pretty much the case?
Patents are not trademarks or copyrights, and I imagine your background would help if anything.
bakerbaker wrote:3. I don't really know much about the law (not a poli sci, phil., or hist. major and never worked at a law firm). Could I even do remotely well? It just seems that the majority of the people on this forum are or have been involved with the legal industry either in their studies or work.
Yes, you'll be fine.
bakerbaker wrote:4. This may sound silly too, but after talking to a lot of lawyers, I don't know if i fit the required personality profile. I'm a guy who bakes, watches 90s TV show reruns, and knits in my free time. (I do realize I'll probably need to kick my TV habit, but I can deal with that). I'm just not what I picture a lawyer to be. But I can see myself enjoying the work itself. What type of person does well in school and as a lawyer?
No idea on what actual lawyer work is like, although I'd imagine more intense than my current lifestyle. As for law school....I kind of suck at working efficiently. I watch sports, play games online, and post way too much on TLS. I've recently started working out again, and plan on finding time to travel the east coast and the South a little bit. In fact, I'm writing a brief for legal writing as I type this. And I do fine. Most people do fine and turn out okay. Be prepared to put in some hours, but also be sure to save some time for yourself. The key will be allocating your time well and buckling down to work at the right times.
bakerbaker wrote:Anyway, if anyone has any insight to these questions, thanks so much!
Fo' sho'.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:47 pm

jmaan wrote:flame?
When I read knits in free time I thought the same thing.

bakerbaker

New

Post by bakerbaker » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:50 am

Doritos wrote:
jmaan wrote:flame?
When I read knits in free time I thought the same thing.

Ain't no thing but a chicken wing.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:13 pm

You actually generally won't be ABLE to do patent work without some kind of science or engineering degree. Trademark and copyright are different, but it's hard to find work in this field - some firms tend to only take patent people in their IP groups (though IMO that doesn't make sense) while others have separate trademark and copyright people - but those positions are VERY sought after.

I'm not saying you can't do it coming from one of those schools, but I wouldn't go to LS if that's all you'd be comfortable doing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”