UIUC vs Stanford EE? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
nininininini

New

UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Post by nininininini » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:07 am

hey,guys, first post here:D

Im highly interested in IP law and I guess I want to be an IP attorney in the future.
Major in electrical engineering for my college.
I have already been admitted to UIUC law with 10k/y and I am also admitted to Stanford, Master of Science in electrical engineering.
My SO is probably going to UIUC for an engineering Phd program and i do want to stay with him.
Any idea which one shall i choose if i want to practice IP? is it a big plus if i apply the law school after i finish my master degree at Stanford?

Thank you so much!

englawyer

Silver

Re: UIUC vs Stanford EE?

Post by englawyer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:24 am

the MS degree is probably not worth the opportunity costs if you KNOW you want patent law. but if there is any chance at all that you want to be an engineer, an MS at Stanford is an amazing opportunity.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:25 am

btw, i am assuming you are paying for the MS. if you have a scholarship that would change my vote

Derrex

New

Post by Derrex » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:47 am

I'd just go to UIUC, stanford ee is not necessary to do patent law. Its about 1.5 years and about 70k total. Odds of financial aid are usually close to 0, especially if you're masters only. If you do want to go engineering though, MSEE will help you a bit.

nininininini

New

Post by nininininini » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:16 am

englawyer wrote:btw, i am assuming you are paying for the MS. if you have a scholarship that would change my vote
yeah, i dont have any financial aid for the MS.
but my family are quite supportive. Thanks a lot!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:16 am

If you want IP law, the Stanford MSEE is not necessary. It will delay your law school by 2 years and cost $40k in tuition.

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:33 am

nininininini wrote:hey,guys, first post here:D

Im highly interested in IP law and I guess I want to be an IP attorney in the future.
I have already been admitted to UIUC law with 10k/y and I am also admitted to Stanford, Master of Science in electrical engineering.
My SO is probably going to UIUC for an engineering Phd program and i do want to stay with him.
Any idea which one shall i choose if i want to practice IP? is it a big plus if i apply the law school after i finish my master degree at Stanford?

Thank you so much!
I'm also an electrical engineer. I did a double in electrical engineering and biomedical engineering, and I have talked about this with one of my profs, who has a masters in biomedical engineering. This professor told me that if you want to be really useful in the patent law field (this person is a patent attorney and a visiting professor), you absolutely must have an advanced degree. I mean, you know as well as I do that a bachelor's in EE didn't really teach you too much.

Personally, if I were you, I'd take the MS program at Stanford in a heart beat. If you're still interested in law after that, you will have a better chance at getting into a top-ranked school.

It's true, you don't need an MS to be a patent attorney. However, from what I've heard from someone in the field, it REALLY helps. According to this professor, however, a Ph.D. isn't necessary and won't provide you with too much more.

Just my opinion.

nininininini

New

Post by nininininini » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:05 am

engineer wrote:
nininininini wrote:hey,guys, first post here:D

Thank you so much!
I'm also an electrical engineer. I did a double in electrical engineering and biomedical engineering, and I have talked about this with one of my profs, who has a masters in biomedical engineering. This professor told me that if you want to be really useful in the patent law field (this person is a patent attorney and a visiting professor), you absolutely must have an advanced degree. I mean, you know as well as I do that a bachelor's in EE didn't really teach you too much.

Personally, if I were you, I'd take the MS program at Stanford in a heart beat. If you're still interested in law after that, you will have a better chance at getting into a top-ranked school.

It's true, you don't need an MS to be a patent attorney. However, from what I've heard from someone in the field, it REALLY helps. According to this professor, however, a Ph.D. isn't necessary and won't provide you with too much more.

Just my opinion.
Thanks a lot! actually what you suggested was exactly my parents' advice~~~
still thinking about it though~~~

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:28 pm

I realize this thread is a little old but thought I could contribute. I was planning on going to Georgia State this fall and applied to Stanford on a whim, and then ended up getting in (for the MSEE). I'll be delaying law school to get the MSEE but my situation is a little different. I have a great engineering job that will pay for the MSEE and I feel as though I underperformed on the LSAT so sitting two years, getting good WE and a prestigious degree will make things alot better for me from an application standpoint. I mean if I can bring my LSAT up a few points the schools I could go to would drastically change. But UIUC is a great school and has a good IP program as well..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:41 pm

Will UIUC ECE department let you do an MSEE combo with JD? UIUC is almost as good in EE as Stanford.

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:46 pm

OP probably doesn't get on too much anymore... Im just excited to post something about going to a school someone has heard of :D so DF you start at NW this fall? Or are you there now?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Will UIUC ECE department let you do an MSEE combo with JD? UIUC is almost as good in EE as Stanford.
+1. A dual degree sounds like a good idea if you can swing it, since it sounds like pursuing a higher degree in engineering is important to you.

And if your SO is going to be at UIUC, don't discount the importance of that. Happiness in life is defined by more things than education, job prospects, etc.

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:55 pm

I agree, look into the JD/MSEE combo, I talked to a rep at Mich about it and they usually are cool with working something out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:08 am

zreinhar wrote:OP probably doesn't get on too much anymore... Im just excited to post something about going to a school someone has heard of :D so DF you start at NW this fall? Or are you there now?
Fall. I'm excited to start.

I did my BSEE at UIUC.
Last edited by 09042014 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:09 am

zreinhar wrote:I agree, look into the JD/MSEE combo, I talked to a rep at Mich about it and they usually are cool with working something out.
The hard part is UIUC ECE accepting OP, but if Stanford did, chances are decent.

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
zreinhar wrote:I agree, look into the JD/MSEE combo, I talked to a rep at Mich about it and they usually are cool with working something out.
The hard part is UIUC ECE accepting OP, but if Stanford did, chances are decent.
Yeah, I didn't realize it was quite that hard to get into UIUC, then I looked at their admission statistics and saw their admission percentage is on par (I think even lower than) Stanford's

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:49 pm

zreinhar wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Yeah, I didn't realize it was quite that hard to get into UIUC, then I looked at their admission statistics and saw their admission percentage is on par (I think even lower than) Stanford's
They are one of the best EE schools in the world. Also I get the feeling they don't take too many Masters students. Almost all the grad students I met when I was there were PhD students. MS was basically awarded to PhD drop outs. Though they do take some.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:45 pm

OMG Stanford!!!

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Fall. I'm excited to start.

I did my BSEE at UIUC.
DF, I knew some BSEEs during my time in Champaign, let's just say you don't seem as nerdy (I could be wrong).

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:56 pm

byunbee wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Fall. I'm excited to start.

I did my BSEE at UIUC.
DF, I knew some BSEEs during my time in Champaign, let's just say you don't seem as nerdy (I could be wrong).
I'm pretty nerdy, but nearly as aggressively nerdy, and I'm not an aspergers case.

When were you in Champaign.

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:00 pm

Graduated in '09, I lived just north of the engineering quad with a couple of engineers. Nice quiet living north of Springfield, probably the only reason I was able to finish my thesis on time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:01 pm

byunbee wrote:Graduated in '09, I lived just north of the engineering quad with a couple of engineers. Nice quiet living north of Springfield, probably the only reason I was able to finish my thesis on time.
I lived on white and 6th from 07-08.

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:10 pm

Jeez, it must've been like a ghost town up there.

I'm assuming you're going to live in Chicago, if you aren't there already.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:17 pm

byunbee wrote:Jeez, it must've been like a ghost town up there.

I'm assuming you're going to live in Chicago, if you aren't there already.
Surburbs now. Looking for an apartment for Aug 1 in the city now.

Yea it was a ghost town, but it was in walking distance of the bars, my classes (engineering quad) and Dos Reales.

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Surburbs now. Looking for an apartment for Aug 1 in the city now.

Yea it was a ghost town, but it was in walking distance of the bars, my classes (engineering quad) and Dos Reales.
Yeesh, good luck with that.

Living a block from DQ, Taco Bell, and Dos + junk addiction = 20 lbs gained senior year

LS stress + living in another college town for 3 years = switching to pants with elastic waistbands

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”