Is it ok to take a year off after UG? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lawbunny

New

Is it ok to take a year off after UG?

Post by lawbunny » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:05 am

I am really considering waiting when it comes to applying to law school. My applications are all filled out; basically all I have to do is hit send. I know I should have sent out my applications a while back, but I do have a few questions. My GPA and LSAT score were not top notch, in reality they are pretty bottom barrel for me. So my plan is to transfer with my work from Florida to Georgia. That way I gain residency and then with luck I will get accepted into a GA law school, since that is where I really want to live and work. Of course I will be retaking my LSAT in the future, preferably June or September. The only thing is that I will be on my own and therefore losing out on money I could be saving if I continue to stay and live at home. Any advice would be great :)

luckyjd

Bronze

Re: Is it ok to take a year off after UG?

Post by luckyjd » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:08 am

take a year off -- be free. :) enjoy the work world for a year (without living with your parents) before you get back into studying mode. that's assuming you're the independent type who can uproot yourself, go into a new city, and build a new social network easily.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:09 am

DEFINITELY take a year off, work, live on your own. Its in your best interests by far, in my opinion.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:12 am

You have a job. Work for a year, gain some work experience, retake the lsat, apply early.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:14 am

Taking a year off, and actually doing something productive with it (like working, not sitting on a couch all day) is probably one of the best yet underused things you can do in between UG and grad school...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beebs

Bronze

Post by beebs » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:26 am

Taking three years off (which will mean I'll be 25 when school starts this fall) was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Get a job, it doesn't matter what. Move to a different state or different country. You can get work visas (assuming you are a US citizen) for Australia, England, and New Zealand. If you don't want to file papers on your own, you can get a company to do it for your - BUNAC is the one I used to work in the UK for 6 months, and it was fantastic.

Taking time off teaches you a little bit more about being a grown-up, gives you more confidence, teaches you how to handle money, and gives you more focus come grad school. Like I said, one of the best decisions I've made.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:32 am

Make a poll, but I think you're going to overwhelmingly hear "take a year off" it's definitely the best advice. Move to Georgia if that's where you want to be, retake the LSAT, go to UGA and be merry forever more.
Last edited by missvik218 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:37 am

Definitely take a year off.

lawbunny

New

Post by lawbunny » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:42 am

thanks everyone for your help. One other question though, will I have to get new LORs for next year or can they be the same exact ones I have on LSAC, even though I have not used them at all? are they dated?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:56 am

They might be dated, but use them anyway. You could note in a short addendum that you had gathered your LORs intending to apply this year, but decided to take a year off instead, if that would make you feel better. But I don't think it would be a problem either way...

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:05 pm

Mine were old, but then sent in a job one too. Didn't seem to affect me much.

extempore88

New

Post by extempore88 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:15 pm

Last edited by extempore88 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:20 pm

extempore88 wrote:One argument in favor of going in now if you have decent school prospects and are currently unemployed is that ITE, it might be hard to find a job for a year. Investment in human capital (education) has lower opportunity cost when the economy is in the toilet. If you've got a shot this cycle and don't have anything super lined up for next year job wise, I would strongly consider joining the class of 2013.
Absolutely not if you can up your LSAT and get into a better school next cycle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawbunny

New

Post by lawbunny » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:24 pm

At this point I have worked with Wachovia Bank for the past 3 years and I know that a job in GA is almost guaranteed, since I have the experience. Also since the cost of living in GA is wayyyyyy cheaper than that of Miami, I was thinking I wouldnt need to take a second job to support myself. Another thing was that I am planning to do some volunteer work, since I really have nothing to offer in that sense.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:24 pm

extempore88 wrote:One argument in favor of going in now if you have decent school prospects and are currently unemployed is that ITE, it might be hard to find a job for a year. Investment in human capital (education) has lower opportunity cost when the economy is in the toilet. If you've got a shot this cycle and don't have anything super lined up for next year job wise, I would strongly consider joining the class of 2013.
It sounds like there is a job lined up

extempore88

New

Post by extempore88 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Last edited by extempore88 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

extempore88

New

Post by extempore88 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:29 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawbunny

New

Post by lawbunny » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:40 pm

numbers are pretty horrible...GPA is 2.36 because of 1 horrible summer semester where I received 5 Fs due to illness. But I am retaking the course and my GPA is showing a definite increase. As for the LSAT 143 with minimal studying. I was going to retake, but thats when I started thinking about waiting another year. I have been studying off and on and taking practice tests, which scores are ranging 157-163. Obviously while I am off I will be studying to improve it even more.

extempore88

New

Post by extempore88 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:47 pm

lawbunny

New

Post by lawbunny » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks :) I pretty much figured that would be my best option. My family is a bit worried about me moving out on my own, especially since I know no one in GA. Not to mention I keep getting the "If you take a break now, its going to be harder to go back to school" speech... ughhh.
extempore88 wrote:Definitely take a year off. With your GPA, your LSAT will be a huge liability. Pony up the money to take a prep course and apply the elbow grease necessary to get it done. I know I'm one to talk about good LSAT scores :oops: , but you are under the national average right now and don't have the GPA to make you a splitter candidate. Take the next six months and get gung ho about getting that score up. Rock the September test and enjoy three nice years at UGA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”